Keeper Advise

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Re:

Postby skip » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 pm

princevincexoxo wrote: Statistical data backs all of this up....and I believe my performance does too 8-) ...so I have facts (not just my facts) to support my feelings (which many other seem to share)....how about you?
I have never seen statistical data to support this view. I have seen experts make such a claim for about 20 or so years and beating the RB/RB drum for just as long and claiming you can wait on drafting QBs. So the trend has been that owners wait to draft QBs, etc...and it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. However on a points basis within each position - which is more of a VBD strategy - the argument does not hold up. You are going to point to your performance and I will therefore point to mine. I have won a number of titles in those 20 years and also fallen short in plenty. I have yet to win a league with middle tier talent at QB - always studs. I have fallen short with studs, of course, but my teams have always fared the worst when I don't have one. If you sacrifice production at one position you need to make it up elsewhere - whether that be at QB, RB, WR, or TE. All positions are important.

This is a 4 player keeper league and the arguments need to trend on the side of production, not value. If this were dynasty, that would be another matter.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Re: Keeper Advise

Postby dlf_ericd » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:50 am

skip, we finally agree!!! I used to subscribe to RB/RB every time and struggled making the playoffs without making a ton of deals to get a strong QB. I don't think you have to draft one in the first couple of rounds, but you better do your homework and get a top 6 QB if you want to win the Super Bowl...and I agree that a 4 person keeper league is way different than dynasty.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

princevincexoxo

Re: Re:

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:18 am

skip wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote: Statistical data backs all of this up....and I believe my performance does too 8-) ...so I have facts (not just my facts) to support my feelings (which many other seem to share)....how about you?
I have never seen statistical data to support this view. I have seen experts make such a claim for about 20 or so years and beating the RB/RB drum for just as long and claiming you can wait on drafting QBs. So the trend has been that owners wait to draft QBs, etc...and it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. However on a points basis within each position - which is more of a VBD strategy - the argument does not hold up. You are going to point to your performance and I will therefore point to mine. I have won a number of titles in those 20 years and also fallen short in plenty. I have yet to win a league with middle tier talent at QB - always studs. I have fallen short with studs, of course, but my teams have always fared the worst when I don't have one. If you sacrifice production at one position you need to make it up elsewhere - whether that be at QB, RB, WR, or TE. All positions are important.

This is a 4 player keeper league and the arguments need to trend on the side of production, not value. If this were dynasty, that would be another matter.
Statistical data supports the notion that the deviation among QB production is much smaller in proportion to other positions...one of the reasons for this is because in most leagues you only start 1 per team (12-14 QB's) in oppose to 2-3 RB's (24-42 RB's) or 2-3 WR's (24-42 WR's)...

there are 32 starters at QB and RB in the NFL and 64 at WR so the odds break down like this
QB's: 12-14/32 = 37.5%-43% of the top 32 QB's are being started weekly
RB's: 24-42/32=75%-140% of the top 32 RB's are being started weekly
WR's: 24-42/64=37.5%-67% of the top 32 WR's are being started weekly
its plain to see where the demand is going to be no matter how you want to slice it. Additionally the truth of the matter is its not hard to grab an up and coming QB that can be top 10-15 and keep you competitive on a weekly basis....the same cant be said of WR's or RB's (at least not as often as you can say it for QB's). If I ever had to choose between where to stock up at its going to be RB and WR because the need for QB is so low, but each QB's potential to produce at a competitively high level is pretty decent in comparison to any other position.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:01 am

An owner in my league has put Moss on the block and is asking for a RB in return. Any ideas?

My top players:

Schaub
Peterson, Moreno, Benson, Felix
Andre, VJax, Colston

His:

Rivers
CJ, Wells, Carnell
Moss, Austin, Marshall
Vernon

Just a refresher since this post is pretty long:

We keep 4 players
PPR, 6 points for all TD's
I have the 4th pick in the draft, the other owner has the 10th

Besides advise on a potential deal any new opinions on who I should keep?

Thanks!

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:20 am

Mark I wouldn't trade for Moss in your situation. He muddies up your keeper options. If he's someone of interest for you there's a good chance you'll be able to land him in the draft as I suspect that other owner will not keep Randy...although he may find a suitable trade.

Still the same opinion for your 4 keepers - Peterson, Moreno, Andre, and Colston

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:29 am

rkrazy wrote:Mark I wouldn't trade for Moss in your situation. He muddies up your keeper options. If he's someone of interest for you there's a good chance you'll be able to land him in the draft as I suspect that other owner will not keep Randy...although he may find a suitable trade.

Still the same opinion for your 4 keepers - Peterson, Moreno, Andre, and Colston
Same here. RB at 1.04, then best WR/QB available next two rounds?

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:12 am

I was offered Moss and Rivers for Peterson... :wave: :lol:

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:48 am

Steelersfan wrote:I was offered Moss and Rivers for Peterson... :wave: :lol:
That's nuts...still no value for you considering your roster. If you weren't planning to keep Schaub why would you want Rivers. They are practically interchangeable in terms of expected ppg production. I'm still missing the value on Moss. You give up the best player and end up with more questions as to who to keep.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:53 am

rkrazy wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:I was offered Moss and Rivers for Peterson... :wave: :lol:
That's nuts...still no value for you considering your roster. If you weren't planning to keep Schaub why would you want Rivers. They are practically interchangeable in terms of expected ppg production. I'm still missing the value on Moss. You give up the best player and end up with more questions as to who to keep.
Yea this owner is the defending champ two years running now and he's a little hard to trade with. Two seasons ago a replacement owner new to the league traded him Chris Johnson for Eddie Royal straight up and we haven't been able to catch him since... :shock:

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:56 am

BTW, I was hoping he would go for Benson/Moss staright up since it seems like he has no faith in Wells as a keeper. I would then have kept Peterson, Moreno, Andre, and Moss...

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Does Moreno's injury change anyones mind? Considering this is a money league I'm not sure I'm comfortable with him as my RB2 as hamstring injuries have a history of lingering...

Looks like VJax is out of the equation considering his probably hold out so if I choose not to keep Moreno that leaves me with the following possibilities:

Schaub
Peterson, Benson, Felix
Andre, Colston

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:02 pm

I went with Peterson, Andre, Moreno, and Colston.

Thanks for all of the replies!