Mike Wallace

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Mike Wallace

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:35 am

How do you all feel about Wallace now that Holmes has been traded? I know we briefly discussed this in the Holmes being traded thread but I think it deserves its own.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:35 am

Scout Inc.'s Matt Williamson has no questions that Mike Wallace can be effective as the Steelers' new starting wideout.

"[Wallace] is only getting better and his ability to take the top off a defense [get deep] is tremendous," Williamson says. "He's very fast and he plays very fast. Wallace is going to abuse single coverage." The idea that Wallace is merely a situational deep threat is wrong. With Hines Ward now 34, Wallace could very well become the Steelers' No. 1 receiver.
Rotoworld

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:26 am

I already liked him a great deal, this only solidifies it.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:30 am

I like Wallace. He has potential. I drafted him in more than one rookie draft last year. And if I could I would definately take back the deal I made where i dealt him for Vince Young and a pick (3rd rd i think). But I don't agree with the rush to label him a superstar wide receiver. Touchdowns tend to waver. He had one 100 yard week. The vast majority of his weeks were 2 catches for 50-85 yards. He had a very good rookie season, but he was playing out of the slot against nickle corners on a pass first team that could spread the field with a lot of options. I expect the steelers to run more, and Ben will spread it around as always. I'm going to go ahead and predict 55 Catches for 850 yards with 3 tds. Good stats again, especially for a 2nd year player. He's valuable as a guy with potential in both talent and situation, but he has played one season in the NFL and hasn't been a starter yet.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 am

BubbaBurst wrote:I like Wallace. He has potential. I drafted him in more than one rookie draft last year. And if I could I would definately take back the deal I made where i dealt him for Vince Young and a pick (3rd rd i think). But I don't agree with the rush to label him a superstar wide receiver. Touchdowns tend to waver. He had one 100 yard week. The vast majority of his weeks were 2 catches for 50-85 yards. He had a very good rookie season, but he was playing out of the slot against nickle corners on a pass first team that could spread the field with a lot of options. I expect the steelers to run more, and Ben will spread it around as always. I'm going to go ahead and predict 55 Catches for 850 yards with 3 tds. Good stats again, especially for a 2nd year player. He's valuable as a guy with potential in both talent and situation, but he has played one season in the NFL and hasn't been a starter yet.
You keep saying things about Wallace with conviction. Unfortunately you have been batting .000. He did not play out of the slot all year and in fact learned and played both flanker and split end (mostly flanker of the two). I'm not sure if you have just never watched him and are going off things you have heard? In any case I highly recommend you go watch Wallace in some games and then come back with your input.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 am

BubbaBurst wrote:I'm going to go ahead and predict 55 Catches for 850 yards with 3 tds.
So basically, the pre-2009 Santonio Holmes. I can live with that, but I also see that as a floor for this season. The Steelers are not a ground-based team like they were in years past.

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Scorp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:35 am

skip wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote:I'm going to go ahead and predict 55 Catches for 850 yards with 3 tds.
So basically, the pre-2009 Santonio Holmes. I can live with that, but I also see that as a floor for this season. The Steelers are not a ground-based team like they were in years past.
You're not as high on Wallace as I am. He's easily a 1,000 yard receiver with double digit scores for the next 6 years. Especially like him with that Cardinals offensive scheme. He won't be productive against D.Revis, but who his?

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am

thevidon2 wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote:I like Wallace. He has potential. I drafted him in more than one rookie draft last year. And if I could I would definately take back the deal I made where i dealt him for Vince Young and a pick (3rd rd i think). But I don't agree with the rush to label him a superstar wide receiver. Touchdowns tend to waver. He had one 100 yard week. The vast majority of his weeks were 2 catches for 50-85 yards. He had a very good rookie season, but he was playing out of the slot against nickle corners on a pass first team that could spread the field with a lot of options. I expect the steelers to run more, and Ben will spread it around as always. I'm going to go ahead and predict 55 Catches for 850 yards with 3 tds. Good stats again, especially for a 2nd year player. He's valuable as a guy with potential in both talent and situation, but he has played one season in the NFL and hasn't been a starter yet.
You keep saying things about Wallace with conviction. Unfortunately you have been batting .000. He did not play out of the slot all year and in fact learned and played both flanker and split end (mostly flanker of the two). I'm not sure if you have just never watched him and are going off things you have heard? In any case I highly recommend you go watch Wallace in some games and then come back with your input.
Actually, living in Philadelphia I watched just about all of Wallace's games. And I'm sorry, you saying I'm wrong because you watch and I don't is any different than me saying that I saw him mostly in the slot? And I'll go ahead and throw in a link to this site:

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerst ... 009&pos=WR

Which measures statistics such as %Deep, which is the percentage of targets that are above 15 yards. Now these are not clearly all fly patterns, but from my experience watching the steelers, this stat leans towards agreeing with my claim that he ran a lot of fly patterns. It shows him to have the highest rate of targets thrown over 15 yards (I'm not sure if they looked at every player, but this is 84 receivers and i don't see anyone left out). He's got speed, which is one reason why he tends to get thrown the ball downfield, but he's still has easily the highest percentage.

Now could I be wrong about how much time he spent in the slot? Aboslutely. I have misremembered in the past. If you never have, well than I'm impressed. But from my recollection of the games, and with a simple statistic here to back me up a little bit, plus no one seems to have any opposition to me saying he was playing against nickle backs all season long. I stick with what I said.

Feel free to show me some statistics to back up your argument. As much as I love to hear someone say I'm wrong because they say so, it makes me a little chippy.

And Skip, I haven't said he wouldn't be valuable. Those are really nice stats for a 2nd year wide out. But i don't see that as his floor. Mendy will be the main guy from week 1 this year, and he will get a heavy load. Plus, I'm curious as to if the Big Ben maturity issues leads them to take the ball out of his hands a little. Not saying that will definately happen, but I could see it.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 am

BubbaBurst wrote:
thevidon2 wrote:
Actually, living in Philadelphia I watched just about all of Wallace's games. And I'm sorry, you saying I'm wrong because you watch and I don't is any different than me saying that I saw him mostly in the slot? And I'll go ahead and throw in a link to this site:

Which measures statistics such as %Deep, which is the percentage of targets that are above 15 yards. Now these are not clearly all fly patterns, but from my experience watching the steelers, this stat leans towards agreeing with my claim that he ran a lot of fly patterns. It shows him to have the highest rate of targets thrown over 15 yards (I'm not sure if they looked at every player, but this is 84 receivers and i don't see anyone left out). He's got speed, which is one reason why he tends to get thrown the ball downfield, but he's still has easily the highest percentage.

Now could I be wrong about how much time he spent in the slot? Aboslutely. I have misremembered in the past. If you never have, well than I'm impressed. But from my recollection of the games, and with a simple statistic here to back me up a little bit, plus no one seems to have any opposition to me saying he was playing against nickle backs all season long. I stick with what I said.

Feel free to show me some statistics to back up your argument. As much as I love to hear someone say I'm wrong because they say so, it makes me a little chippy.

And Skip, I haven't said he wouldn't be valuable. Those are really nice stats for a 2nd year wide out. But i don't see that as his floor. Mendy will be the main guy from week 1 this year, and he will get a heavy load. Plus, I'm curious as to if the Big Ben maturity issues leads them to take the ball out of his hands a little. Not saying that will definately happen, but I could see it.
He got plenty of down field looks. He got plenty of down field targets because during those looks he was burning the DB placed on him. I don't think he was strictly facing nickel DB's when he was lining up at flanker. In the Holmes thread you said he ran "mostly out patterns from the slot" all season, but here you say he ran "a lot of fly patterns". It's like you are trying to make him seem one dimensional, but are contradicting yourself.........

My point is simply that Wallace ran a variety of routes, from a variety of positions - and was successful in a variety of ways.

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Scorp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 am

Okay, I'll admit, I'll have to hinder my expectations on Wallace a little. While I saw Mike Wallace as a Randy Moss type in terms of a deep threat WR because of his ability to catch the ball in double coverage, I'll give him a mediocre ranking of Miles Austin.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 am

BubbaBurst wrote: And Skip, I haven't said he wouldn't be valuable. Those are really nice stats for a 2nd year wide out. But i don't see that as his floor. Mendy will be the main guy from week 1 this year, and he will get a heavy load. Plus, I'm curious as to if the Big Ben maturity issues leads them to take the ball out of his hands a little. Not saying that will definately happen, but I could see it.
I do think they will run more, but they don't have the team built to change from a pass-first to run-first offense right now. Maybe 50/50, but they are a far cry from a team like the Jets.

Ben has always been an immature guy, nothing is going to change there to impact his use.

Not only do I see it as the floor, but I am certainly expecting more than 3 TDs. Between he and Ward they will combine for about 15 scores.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 am

thevidon2 wrote:
Dang...the Vidon going Vince all over JB.... :lol:

----------------
Now playing: John Mayer - Heartbreak Warfare

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 am

thevidon2 wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote:
thevidon2 wrote: You keep saying things about Wallace with conviction. Unfortunately you have been batting .000. He did not play out of the slot all year and in fact learned and played both flanker and split end (mostly flanker of the two). I'm not sure if you have just never watched him and are going off things you have heard? In any case I highly recommend you go watch Wallace in some games and then come back with your input.

He got plenty of down field looks. He got plenty of down field targets because during those looks he was burning the DB placed on him. I don't think he was strictly facing nickel DB's when he was lining up at flanker. In the Holmes thread you said he ran "mostly out patterns from the slot" all season, but here you say he ran "a lot of fly patterns". It's like you are trying to make him seem one dimensional, but are contradicting yourself.........

My point is simply that Wallace ran a variety of routes, from a variety of positions - and was successful in a variety of ways.
When i said out patterns, i meant as in fly patterns. See, again you have your point. And normally I have no issue with any one else's view point. But when you say i have no idea what i'm saying because I'm just saying stuff without backing it up, and then you go ahead and say that i'm wrong and your right over and over again with nothing to back it up except what you say you saw, i'm left with little choice.

Maybe i need to take a page from Kris' book and take a break here. Starting a bunch of fights here.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 am

Pilate wrote:
thevidon2 wrote:
Dang...the Vidon going Vince all over JB.... :lol:

----------------
Now playing: John Mayer - Heartbreak Warfare
Considering I spent a full day last week fighting with Vince through private messages, and i recently started my quest to eliminate the Jax and Rod nicknames, I'm on a roll.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:02 am

I'd sell Wallace high and try to get a 1st round pick in return while his stock has skyrocketed apparently. Actually I'd sell him right now before the Steelers likely draft a WR in another week or so. Its asking a lot right now to think Wallace will fill the void left by Holmes leaving, there still are a lot of question marks right now regarding Wallace and their offense.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince