Roddy White Value

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Roddy White Value

Postby skip » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:25 pm

I am in a discussion with a league mate regarding Roddy White and I'd like to get some input from members here as to why his value is seemingly falling. His ranking here puts him at 5 but I am having a hard time moving him for players who are rated outside of the top 10. I have even looked to move him in the DLF I and am getting resistance.

Roddy is only 28. Last 3 seasons as follows:
83-1202-6
88-1382-7
85-1153-11

He has produced with or without Ryan, with or without Turner, with or without a viable #2 WR, with or without a viable TE. How can the circumstances going into 2010 be any different than they have ever been in the past that they would cause his value to drop?

Please help me understand this. Thanks.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:35 pm

I suppose it depends on what you are asking for in return, some people fall in love a bit too much with younger players like Miles Austin, Sidney Rice or RBs like Shonn Greene or Knowshon Moreno, all of which have had 1 quality season or less. Just looking at last season's numbers, Roddy has seemed to be very "streaky", and some owners don't like the "boom or bust" potential he's displayed, consider last years numbers

Week 3 - 4 catches 24 yards
BYE week
Week 5 - 8 catches 210 yards
Week 6 - 4 catches 56 yards
and later on
Week 14 - 2 catches 41 yards
Week 15 - 4 catches 33 yards
Week 16 - 8 catches 139 yards

Basically Roddy had 2 spectacular weeks where he accumulated 16 catches 350 yards and 4 TDs, which is awesome, but there were plenty of OK or subpar weeks in between. While he put up fantasy championship numbers in week 16, he put up fantasy dud numbers in weeks 14 and 15, likely knocking plenty of owners out of the playoffs. A lot of owners prefer someone more consistent on a week to week basis, at least as far as last year in concerned, I agree with you though that he's being a bit undervalued overall though.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey Shawn, great analysis on White when you break down the numbers like that. Was trying to get DeSean Jackson to add as my 3rd WR and was using similar analysis regarding him during trade discussions, but the owner has a vice grip on him. Both White and Jackson had 6 games where they failed to reach 50 yards receiving. Jackson had two performances below 10 yards. Some how, whether it is defensive planning or other factors, they both get lost in their offenses at times. Love them both, but they do have the boom or bust quality from time to time. Could be the reason some are shying away from White.

Depending on the compensation, I wouldn't. He's young enough, talented, and in a good situation.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:41 pm

SpaderDude wrote:Hey Shawn, great analysis on White when you break down the numbers like that. Was trying to get DeSean Jackson to add as my 3rd WR and was using similar analysis regarding him during trade discussions, but the owner has a vice grip on him. Both White and Jackson had 6 games where they failed to reach 50 yards receiving. Jackson had two performances below 10 yards. Some how, whether it is defensive planning or other factors, they both get lost in their offenses at times. Love them both, but they do have the boom or bust quality from time to time. Could be the reason some are shying away from White.

Depending on the compensation, I wouldn't. He's young enough, talented, and in a good situation.

Thanks buddy, discussions like these are fun and hopefully helpful to people too. Good times!
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm

You can't criticize one player without making the same observation of others. Austin, VJax, Sidney Rice, Randy Moss, Calvin, Colston, Jennings...you can find streakiness or boom/bust from every one of these guys as well as plenty of others. There are precious few you will find consistent over the course of an entire season.

And I have asked about a couple of players from lower tiers than these and still having trouble.

I am not going to complain, mind you, if I go through 2010 with him on my roster and get another 85-1200-10 year from him. I am just missing why his value seems to be dropping so that even asking about players ranked in the 15-20 and even later range can be considered "close " in value.

moneyballer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby moneyballer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:32 pm

I think part of the problem is that Roddy is just not one of those young en vogue receivers right now. As an Atlanta Falcons fan, I totally love the guy and would love to have him as a weapon on my fantasy team. He can be inconsistent as was said, but so are a lot of the other big name receivers. Randy Moss made a career in New England out of huge boom or bust weeks while a guy like Wes Welker consistently plugged along from week to week. He was a late bloomed compared to some others but at 28 has an excellent career ahead of him, especially with Matt Ryan at the helm. If Atlanta was able to get a quality receiver to line up across from him, I think he could be even more dangerous.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Skip, I know we've talked about deals involving Roddy and Sid Rice and basically I have them ranked pretty closely and I like the way Rice's ceiling is so high. That's my main issue with Roddy, and its just nitpicking really. I like him a lot but i don't see him doing anything great. He will be a top 10 guy for the next few years but I can't imagine him ever getting into the discussion as the top guy. So to me, swapping Rice for Roddy is a lateral move in which i lose some upside potential (god i love that term) and that's just the mood i'm in.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:12 pm

BubbaBurst wrote:Skip, I know we've talked about deals involving Roddy and Sid Rice and basically I have them ranked pretty closely and I like the way Rice's ceiling is so high. That's my main issue with Roddy, and its just nitpicking really. I like him a lot but i don't see him doing anything great. He will be a top 10 guy for the next few years but I can't imagine him ever getting into the discussion as the top guy. So to me, swapping Rice for Roddy is a lateral move in which i lose some upside potential (god i love that term) and that's just the mood i'm in.
i would trade roddy for rice straight up... and its not even close which side i prefer....

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:14 pm

BubbaBurst wrote:Skip, I know we've talked about deals involving Roddy and Sid Rice and basically I have them ranked pretty closely and I like the way Rice's ceiling is so high. That's my main issue with Roddy, and its just nitpicking really. I like him a lot but i don't see him doing anything great. He will be a top 10 guy for the next few years but I can't imagine him ever getting into the discussion as the top guy. So to me, swapping Rice for Roddy is a lateral move in which i lose some upside potential (god i love that term) and that's just the mood i'm in.
I don't take a great issue with guys like Rice or really many of the names I listed. Part of my issue is that Roddy is also in that tier of player and is just as valuable. But I am talking about moving players from that group for something lower. As an example...let's look at a player like Steve Smith (NYG) or Nicks - both of whom members of this site have rated in the low teens. I am looking at offers in moving Roddy for that calibur of player in order to address concerns elsewhere on my team. Do owners really consider these guys that "close" in value to Roddy?

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:17 pm

skip wrote:
I don't take a great issue with guys like Rice or really many of the names I listed. Part of my issue is that Roddy is also in that tier of player and is just as valuable. But I am talking about moving players from that group for something lower. As an example...let's look at a player like Steve Smith (NYG) or Nicks - both of whom members of this site have rated in the low teens. I am looking at offers in moving Roddy for that calibur of player in order to address concerns elsewhere on my team. Do owners really consider these guys that "close" in value to Roddy?
no, roddy is a true #1, the same cant be said about nicks or steve smith... for me to give up roddy it would have to be nicks/1.5-7 for roddy... and if it involved smith i would cost even more... 2-4 range...

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:36 pm

I ranked Roddy at #5 in our recent WR rankings. I don't think Roddy gets the credit he deserves because he plays in Atlanta as it seems like they don't get a lot of publicity.

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:49 pm

You can't criticize one player without making the same observation of others. Austin, VJax, Sidney Rice, Randy Moss, Calvin, Colston, Jennings...you can find streakiness or boom/bust from every one of these guys as well as plenty of others. There are precious few you will find consistent over the course of an entire season.
Agreed, but it could still factor into someone's thinking (although some may not be paying that close attention to each game since they don't own him). But you're right, even AJ has put up a 2/20 a few times here and there for me. You just live with it.

X2 that it may also be the fact that he plays in Atlanta, stays out of trouble, and doesn't get a lot of publicity. I'd trade Smith or Nicks in a heart beat for him. A bit baffling that owners are not willing to trade lesser talent. Some owners just over-value their own players. That could be it.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:40 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
i would trade roddy for rice straight up... and its not even close which side i prefer....
Rice needs to show me he performs without Favre before I would make a statement like that. Roddy has put up the numbers 3 years in a row now, Rice has done it once. Rice is a physical freak, but I need to see more....

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:
Rice needs to show me he performs without Favre before I would make a statement like that. Roddy has put up the numbers 3 years in a row now, Rice has done it once. Rice is a physical freak, but I need to see more....
'

i prefer the white side :)

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:56 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
bigcsr67 wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote: i would trade roddy for rice straight up... and its not even close which side i prefer....
'

i prefer the white side :)
:?: