Ppr leagues.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Ppr leagues.

Postby Salty Dawg » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:09 pm

For some years now I have struggled with the concept of granting a player a point for the reception that is for no gain or a loss.

I do think it is suitable and reasonable to award for players that even gain 1 lousy yard because (although rare) that gain could have resulted in a first down.Last I checked a NFL head coach will take a reception for a lousy yard If that yard gets them a first down. Theres nothing positive about getting a reception for no gain or a loss of yards.

It really gets me too when those teams run those bubble screens or traditional screens and "x" player gets 4 points for the reception and only netted 3 yds (rare but being dramatic to prove a point)

So...with the ppr leagues I commish I was considering a rule that would modify the ppr scoring to be adjusted to ppr that gains at least 1yd. And I thought myfantasyleague could support that. WEll they cant. And I wont talk down on that because it still is a great site.

So..does anyone know of any "realistic and practical" way of making something happen. Does anyone know of resources out there where I can find these stat easily.

Im afraid that the only option I am gonna have at my dispense is to go through every single game that week to sift and go through every play at nfl.com to rule out those receptions of zero or negative yds.
And that my friends is DEFINITELY NOT HAPPENING.

myfantasyleague.com can do so much but cant recognize a reception as being for positive yardage or not. boo.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Ppr leagues.

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Salty Dawg wrote:For some years now I have struggled with the concept of granting a player a point for the reception that is for no gain or a loss.

I do think it is suitable and reasonable to award for players that even gain 1 lousy yard because (although rare) that gain could have resulted in a first down.Last I checked a NFL head coach will take a reception for a lousy yard If that yard gets them a first down. Theres nothing positive about getting a reception for no gain or a loss of yards.

It really gets me too when those teams run those bubble screens or traditional screens and "x" player gets 4 points for the reception and only netted 3 yds (rare but being dramatic to prove a point)

So...with the ppr leagues I commish I was considering a rule that would modify the ppr scoring to be adjusted to ppr that gains at least 1yd. And I thought myfantasyleague could support that. WEll they cant. And I wont talk down on that because it still is a great site.

So..does anyone know of any "realistic and practical" way of making something happen. Does anyone know of resources out there where I can find these stat easily.

Im afraid that the only option I am gonna have at my dispense is to go through every single game that week to sift and go through every play at nfl.com to rule out those receptions of zero or negative yds.
And that my friends is DEFINITELY NOT HAPPENING.

myfantasyleague.com can do so much but cant recognize a reception as being for positive yardage or not. boo.
its such a minute flaw to the system why get frustrated about it... just chalk it up to the system being flawed.

remember, nothing is perfect... if it helps you think of it this way... you reward a point because its much harder to catch a pass... regardless of the distance.. than it is to have it handed to you in the bread basket...

there are plenty of screen passes that i have seen dropped, or broken up... it isnt a gimme play.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Check out the DLF Polls Thread for some opinions...

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Here's the link if you can't if you can't the topic...

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/fo ... php?t=8694

meineymoe had a pretty good solution IMO.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks fellas. Not really too frustrated..sounds that way yes but Im just maybe more "baffled" how the system doesnt support it.

Thanks agin.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Not sure why this should be such a big deal. How is rewarding that point any worse that the RB who gets 1 carry in a game for 1 yard and a TD and gets 6 points for it? Especially frustrating when the featured back had 40 or 50 yards on the drive and got fewer points for it. It all balances out in the end.

When you read a stat sheet on an RB with 20 carries and 100 yards he wasn't getting 5 yards every time. There were some no gains or losses in there - but he gets his points on a couple of big plays. We aren't penalizing him because he carried for 1 yard over here or 2 over there. We look only at the total. Likewise when a player get 3 catches for 40 yards but one of them was for a negative gain, why are we not counting that reception?

I guess if its that big of an issue, either don't use PPR at all or credit fewer points for them.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Just set reception points to 1 and up the yards to 20 yards per point. So receptions=1 point, reception yards=20 yards per point.

That way it ensures at least a certain amount of yards per reception - not exactly like you explained you wanted, but it rounds into shape over the course of a game. Calculate it out and it does make sense. I fought it at first, but if you really think about it and break the numbers down it's logical and accomplishes the same thing your goal set out to do.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 am

A catch is a catch. Shouldn't matter if it's a gain or no gain. My league is set up as .50 per reception and if it's one of those WR bubble screens that results in a catch, but a tackle for a 3 yard loss the play results in +.20 pts because our yardage pts are fractional and award .10 pts per yard. Maybe my scoring format makes more sense because a catch for a loss awards .5 pts for the reception, but you lose pts on negative receiving yards. You can still lose the full amount of the catch pts if the yardage lost if more then 5 yds.

Or just lower the full pt for reception to 1/2 pt per reception.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm

hot nikkels wrote:A catch is a catch. Shouldn't matter if it's a gain or no gain. My league is set up as .50 per reception and if it's one of those WR bubble screens that results in a catch, but a tackle for a 3 yard loss the play results in +.20 pts because our yardage pts are fractional and award .10 pts per yard. Maybe my scoring format makes more sense because a catch for a loss awards .5 pts for the reception, but you lose pts on negative receiving yards. You can still lose the full amount of the catch pts if the yardage lost if more then 5 yds.

Or just lower the full pt for reception to 1/2 pt per reception.
I dont use decimal scoring ..I use 1:10 yd rec.

All good ideas and respect all opinions. It might be just me that I hate to see point rewarded for a negative gain in yardage. But like misfits said too perhaps Ishould gor for 1 for 20 yds or maybe I also thought I could go to .5 or since I dont like decimal pts scoring I will go to 1 pt per every 2 rec.

Or maybe I will just keep everything status quo. I love this place. Such a plethora of good stuff. All points well taken. :D

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:15 pm

The only thing that I'll add is: the more you customize your scoring and make it different, the more time you have to spend to prepare your rankings to fit your league. Most sites and mags are either straight up ppr or non-ppr. And distance/bonus scoring systems can vary quite a bit.

I'm curious to know why you don't use fractional scoring. I always found it frustrating when a player only gets 6 pts for 69 yards receiving but another player gets 7 pts for 71 yards.

If you switch to fractional scoring, that might help truly reflect a player's performance. :wink:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Fractional scoring would be the best way to remedy your predicament. Fractional scoring better reflects actual on field performance.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:The only thing that I'll add is: the more you customize your scoring and make it different, the more time you have to spend to prepare your rankings to fit your league. Most sites and mags are either straight up ppr or non-ppr. And distance/bonus scoring systems can vary quite a bit.

I'm curious to know why you don't use fractional scoring. I always found it frustrating when a player only gets 6 pts for 69 yards receiving but another player gets 7 pts for 71 yards.

If you switch to fractional scoring, that might help truly reflect a player's performance. :wink:
good point Phish.

For me its just personal and my unwillingness to count every single yard. ive been playing for 15 yrs now and believe it or not I just recently began playing in leagues where it is decimal. I dont really like it but maybe someday I will.

BUT ONE THING FOR SURE IS THAT I WILL NEVER LIKE IT FOR A IDP LEAGUEI FOR MONEY. That is just way too much for me.especially with $$ involved. Cant imagine losing a big cash league over .2 pts.. get out of here with that..llol. I think if I started way back when with it and I was used to it maybe i would have a different perspective...but it didnt happen..so Im just old fashioned conservative old fart i guess. :?

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Salty Dawg wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:The only thing that I'll add is: the more you customize your scoring and make it different, the more time you have to spend to prepare your rankings to fit your league. Most sites and mags are either straight up ppr or non-ppr. And distance/bonus scoring systems can vary quite a bit.

good point Phish.

For me its just personal and my unwillingness to count every single yard. ive been playing for 15 yrs now and believe it or not I just recently began playing in leagues where it is decimal. I dont really like it but maybe someday I will.

BUT ONE THING FOR SURE IS THAT I WILL NEVER LIKE IT FOR A IDP LEAGUEI FOR MONEY. That is just way too much for me.especially with $$ involved. Cant imagine losing a big cash league over .2 pts.. get out of here with that..llol. I think if I started way back when with it and I was used to it maybe i would have a different perspective...but it didnt happen..so Im just old fashioned conservative old fart i guess. :?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh... but you're missing out on the glory of a 0.08 point victory! :lol:

I had to double check because I remember a few VERY close matchups in my money league this year. One guy lost by 0.03... Luckily for him it was a meaningless game since his team wasn't a playoff team, but still. By the way, it's an IDP league too! ;) LOL
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:
Salty Dawg wrote:

good point Phish.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh... but you're missing out on the glory of a 0.08 point victory! :lol:

I had to double check because I remember a few VERY close matchups in my money league this year. One guy lost by 0.03... Luckily for him it was a meaningless game since his team wasn't a playoff team, but still. By the way, it's an IDP league too! ;) LOL
Im sure there will come a day (if it hasnt happened already) where someone loses the the Championship Pot full of lots of money by .01.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Salty Dawg wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:
Salty Dawg wrote: good point Phish.

Im sure there will come a day (if it hasnt happened already) where someone loses the the Championship Pot full of lots of money by .01.
The way that I rationalize it is like this: Is it much different than losing by 1 pt in a regular scoring system? In either case, chances are it came down to a lineup decision... so it's not much different.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak