Goff or Wentz?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Goff or Wentz?

Postby bruiser » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:57 am

Goff is distancing himself in the perception that he's gonna be Rams starter week 1. Wentz may fall because Cleveland was bluffing all the way up until the Rams leap-frogged them. Now Cleveland wants to trade out, cuz their bluff was called. They don't really want Wentz. Maybe Dallas uses #4 on Wentz and he's gonna be great someday for someone. It seems he will be drafted to hold a clip-board.

I play almost exclusively in salary/contract leagues, so I can never justify taking a player that won't see the field soon. Too bad Jaylon Smith misses 2016, cuz now he's off my draft board, too.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:07 am

I think Goff is a better NFL prospect, but I don't think he has a sky-high fantasy ceiling.
Wentz is riskier both in NFL and fantasy terms but I could see him having a Bortles-like early career. If you're shopping for ceiling, I think Wentz offers more there than Goff.

SpartyOn
All Pro
All Pro

Postby SpartyOn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:13 am

DynoScout wrote:I think Goff is a better NFL prospect, but I don't think he has a sky-high fantasy ceiling.
Wentz is riskier both in NFL and fantasy terms but I could see him having a Bortles-like early career. If you're shopping for ceiling, I think Wentz offers more there than Goff.
This for me too, couldn't agree more.

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:23 am

I drafted Goff over Wentz because I think Goff is more NFL ready and will have an impact right away. Wentz has a higher ceiling but I don't think he's seeing the field this year. Wentz could be acquired cheaper this time next year, just like a rookie tight end would be.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

AlPal&Ange
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AlPal&Ange » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 am

Just going to add on to the guys above.
If I was an NFL team, Goff would be my guy hands down, much safer and proven.
However, for fantasy, I would lean Wentz, because he has a much higher ceiling, and he will give you rush yards.
If you need a QB for 2016 take Goff he'll start week 1 IMO.. not sure who he's going to throw to but he'll be starting..
Wentz will/should get 1-2 years to translate his game.

Side note - I think Browns select... Laremy Tunsil NOT Wentz.. If they don't trade back

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:36 am

Depends on landing spot IMO. If Wentz can learn behind a solid veteran for a couple seasons than he will be great. I would avoid any QB that the Browns draft lol.

All in all I don't think either are that good, and I can envision both busting.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:52 am

I really don't think it's close. Goff can make all the throws you want and has very good pocket presence. Plus, the thing that nobody talks about is his mobility in the pocket. He's not going to get rushing yards like Wentz, but he can get out of trouble and still make the throws. He throws receivers open, he fits the pass into tight windows, and has a pretty deep ball. Goff has all the tools to be good QB at the next level and can start from Day 1. Sure, he may not be more than a Matt Ryan-Matt Stafford type of player, but I would take that.

Wentz has more fantasy appeal because of his running, but he's not a Cam Newton, Russell Wilson or Marcus Mariota type of athlete.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:12 pm

In most normal 1QB leagues, this is easily Wentz for me. He has the skill set to give him a chance to be a difference maker at the position. Goff likely is just one of another 12 or more QBs in the league who will usually have a low QB1/high QB2 ceiling. I probably lean Goff in 2QB leagues.

Whomever goes to the Rams will be starting off in a somewhat unique situation with a team that is far better than what a normal QB drafted in the top 3 usually goes to (a 7 win team is the highest I can remember recently).

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:22 pm

I disagree, theone. The Rams are a terrible situation for any QB. The Rams have arguably the best defense in the league. That is strike one against QB situation. The other knock is how neglected their O-line has been for too long. Gurley should be a generational talent on the stat sheet... but he's not. If Gurley doesn't get going, the rookie QB doesn't get going.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Bruiser wrote:I disagree, theone. The Rams are a terrible situation for any QB. The Rams have arguably the best defense in the league. That is strike one against QB situation. The other knock is how neglected their O-line has been for too long. Gurley should be a generational talent on the stat sheet... but he's not. If Gurley doesn't get going, the rookie QB doesn't get going.
I believe you are not quite understanding what I was saying. I did not claim it is was a good offensive situation, just that it was a unique situation for a QB picked in the top 3 to go to so strong of a team overall. 5 wins for a team from the previous season was the maximum for any QB chosen in the top 3 in the last decade and I do not know when the last time a team had 7 or more from the previous season. The OL and WRs have major deficiencies for the Rams. The Rams have attempted to address the OL by taking Robinson #2 overall in 2014 and selecting an OL in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds of 2015.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Gimme Wentz. He ran a more pro-style offense, made reads and adjustments at the line and called audibles. Was a winner, and sure, against "weaker" competition, but Goff wasn't playing in the SEC either and NC State at leat dominated their competition during the time Wentz was there. Wentz has everything you want in a QB. He's like a second coach in how he understands an offense and playcalling, and I was kinda bummed the initial rumors had him going at 1.01 because I think the Rams are a terrible fit for a fantasy QB. Who's he throwing to? Benny Cunningham? They have no assets to draft a WR, FA is basically over too. A good fit for them would be Boldin, as he'd helo fill the void at WR and TE route-wise, but again, they lack a stud WR and don't have a chance to draft one for a couple of years unless they luck out on someone on day three in this draft. As mentioned above, they have a stout D and power running game. I haven't checked but would assume the Rams QBs to have a fairly low number of attempts. A new QB isn't going to change that philosophy.

I'm hoping the Eagles move up for the Browns pick, but if the Browns keep it I don't think that's a bad thing considering they have Hue as the coach who will get a lot more out of his QB than Fisher will out of his.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:56 pm

I will take Wentz regardless of his landing spot and it isn't close at all for me. Much broader skill set, just as capable from day 1... I really don't see the arguments for Goff unless you like the word "safe". But fantasy teams don't win with the Alex Smith or Joe Flacco at the helm.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Ok, theone. I misunderstood. And fair point about the draft picks, too.

Skip, totally disagree that teams don't win with safe QBs. In certain formats, the QB is way overbought and the bargain QBs allow you to buy up the difference-makers like Watt and Gronk.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Bruiser wrote: Skip, totally disagree that teams don't win with safe QBs. In certain formats, the QB is way overbought and the bargain QBs allow you to buy up the difference-makers like Watt and Gronk.
27 years in this game and while you might win here and there with middling talent, that is not a risk with taking. The elite QBs give you a huge advantage year over year vs the ones who don't have them.

I know plenty of owners with your philosophy and they far more often end up on the losing end of things. When they realize it, they go scrambling to try to fill the void.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:48 pm

I play in 16-team formats across the board. Some leagues are setup to give QBs their due, while some leagues are not setup to give any value to the QB. Ironically, the league I am in that is weakest toward QB value is the league where everyone blows their wad on QB. I absolutely smoke them everywhere else because of this. I once rode Romo to a championship. Last year I had Cousins, but Watt got hurt in my playoffs. I will likely roll with Flacco in 2016 and enjoy another dominant year.

Basically, I say all this to illustrate that it's important to know your format and how it values QB.