Stafford vs. Sanchez

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who would you rather have long term?

Stafford
90%
Sanchez
10%

Total votes: 30

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Stafford vs. Sanchez

Postby Risky bidness » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:23 pm

Here are the stats between Stafford and Sanchez this year as rookie QB's.

Category, Stafford, Sanchez
Attempts, 377, 364
Comp., 201, 196
Yards, 2,267, 2,444
Cmp. %, 53.3, 53.8
TDs, 13, 12
INT, 20, 20
Rating, 61.0, 63.0

These numbers are scary close, so based on what you see, who do you like of the two for the long haul?

Maybe the body of work between the 2 isn't big enough yet, but it's a fun debate.
Last edited by Risky bidness on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Stafford vs. Sanchez

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:27 pm

hot nikkels wrote:Here are the stats between Stafford and Sanchez this year as rookie QB's.

Category, Stafford, Sanchez
Attempts 377 364
Comp. 201 196
Yards 2,267 2,444
Cmp. % 53.3 53.8
TDs 13 12
INT 20 20
Rating 61.0 63.0

These numbers are scary close, so based on what you see, who do you like of the two for the long haul?

Maybe the body of work between the 2 isn't big enough yet, but it's a fun debate.
who has the better team? who has the better line? and who actually has a running game....

now why are the two totals so close?

the answer is the picture in my sig

---- with that said, sanchez has looked impressive. but id rather have the bulldog throwing the rock.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Stafford before the draft, and the same after their first seasons...and I'm a Sanchez and Stafford owner.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm

I think Stafford will turn out to be the better long term fantasy option, but I think Sanchez will be an effective NFL qb.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:02 pm

I like Stafford, due to the fact that he has Calvin. I still think it will be 2011 before Stafford and the Lions really put it all together. They are a ways from being a decent team, so Stafford will suffer his growing pains for a bit longer. Put Sanchez on the Lions and I don't see the same production.

bsb8532
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bsb8532 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I somewhat disagree with the comments above. While I do like Stafford better long-term, it isn't because I think he's more talented (I like what's between Sanchez' shoulders better than Stafford) and it isn't because Stafford has Megatron (I think the Jets get a big time WR this year). To me, it has more to do with the offense. I just don't see the Jets with Ryan as HC committing to an offense that allows Sanchez to be a top tier QB.
12 Team No PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR
QB: Cassel, Sanchez
RB: Stewart, Spiller, Moreno, Bradshaw, Starks
WR: Jennings, Nicks, D. Bowe, L Moore, Decker
TE: Pettigrew, Dickson

10 Team .5 PPR - 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex
QB - Matt Ryan, Tebow, Orton, Ponder
RB - MJD, Blount, Beanie, Moreno, Choice,
WR - Megatron, Nicks, Britt, Dez, Cobb, Denarius Moore, Lafell
TE - Vernon Davis, Marcedes, Rudolph

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 pm

bsb8532 wrote:I somewhat disagree with the comments above. While I do like Stafford better long-term, it isn't because I think he's more talented (I like what's between Sanchez' shoulders better than Stafford) and it isn't because Stafford has Megatron (I think the Jets get a big time WR this year). To me, it has more to do with the offense. I just don't see the Jets with Ryan as HC committing to an offense that allows Sanchez to be a top tier QB.
This is why I'd take Stafford over Sanchez.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Stafford has a gun, and he will throw it to Calvin in double coverage pretty much anytime. I don't see how that can possibly be a recipe for fantasy failure.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:40 am

How did Sanchez do so poorly with the best running game in the league in '09? Sorry, but I can't blame EVERYTHING on Braylon Edwards. :twisted: Teams had to stack vs. the run and 'dare' Sanchez to throw and he still didn't eclipse the numbers Stafford put up - with a far worse line and far worse running game. Factor in the styles of offense and the results of both QBs first years and this is no debate. Stafford and it's not even close.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:04 am

In this debate I would have to agree, Stafford would be the better one to have, but I still see something in Sanchez, I know I've said this before but to me it's worth repeating. I think it's the "AIR" of confidence that Sanchez has. I think he will turn into a fine Pro.

Stafford may be the better of the two, but I see good things for both.

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 am

bsb8532 wrote:I somewhat disagree with the comments above. While I do like Stafford better long-term, it isn't because I think he's more talented (I like what's between Sanchez' shoulders better than Stafford) and it isn't because Stafford has Megatron (I think the Jets get a big time WR this year). To me, it has more to do with the offense. I just don't see the Jets with Ryan as HC committing to an offense that allows Sanchez to be a top tier QB.

I didn't know much about either QB going into this year. I drafted stafford because I had heard that stafford not only had all the physical tools, but blew away the lions and other football heads when they interviewed him during the draft process and put him on the board to decipher offensive play and concepts. One football scout went as far to say that he hadn't seen a rookie QB impress when put to the test on x's and o's since Peyton manning.

Now he's nowhere near Peyton obviously, but I don't know if I would believe sanchez has more upstairs then stafford when it comes to football IQ. I agree with another poster on here that stafford and the lions are probably another year away from putting the pieces together to be a good team, but stafford will get to elite status IMO. Or at least he'll have every chance because he's getting PAID!!!

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:26 am

Regardless of who you like more for an NFL franchise it is impossible to deny that Stafford has far more upside for a fantasy QB. I was lucky enough to get him early in round 2 in one league and am very pleased to have him as my QB of the future. Looking at Sanchez's numbers it is really hard to comprehend how he was pretty equal to Stafford but he did so with a superior line, running game and overall team.

bsb8532
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bsb8532 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:40 am

Sanchez has less experience at QB and has Edwards as his #1 WR vs Megatron. Not to mention Stafford gets to play half his games in a stadium much more conducive to the passing game. I know everyone wants to annoint Stafford, but lets not pretend all the advantages lie in the Stafford corner.
12 Team No PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR
QB: Cassel, Sanchez
RB: Stewart, Spiller, Moreno, Bradshaw, Starks
WR: Jennings, Nicks, D. Bowe, L Moore, Decker
TE: Pettigrew, Dickson

10 Team .5 PPR - 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex
QB - Matt Ryan, Tebow, Orton, Ponder
RB - MJD, Blount, Beanie, Moreno, Choice,
WR - Megatron, Nicks, Britt, Dez, Cobb, Denarius Moore, Lafell
TE - Vernon Davis, Marcedes, Rudolph

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:48 am

bsb8532 wrote:Sanchez has less experience at QB and has Edwards as his #1 WR vs Megatron. Not to mention Stafford gets to play half his games in a stadium much more conducive to the passing game. I know everyone wants to annoint Stafford, but lets not pretend all the advantages lie in the Stafford corner.
That is kind of the point...most advantages lie in the Sanchez corner but they are performing the same so far. As mentioned Sanchez has everyone piling up against the run so the passing numbers should be helped out a bit there...

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 am

kris_kapsner wrote:
This is why I'd take Stafford over Sanchez.
i think we'll know after the draft, if sanchez gets a top end WR then we'll know what the jets are planning for him
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted