Best Rookie Draft Guide?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
deputylefty
Starter
Starter

Best Rookie Draft Guide?

Postby deputylefty » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:08 pm

What's the best Rookie Draft Guide out there and why?

RSP?
PFF?
NDT Scouting?
UTH?
Others?

Unicorn92
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Best Rookie Draft Guide?

Postby Unicorn92 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:28 am

DFW terrific one
I play in an idp dynasty keeper league 10 teams with 1 qb start in a ppr league 2 en 2 wr 1te 1 flex. This is a roster of 35 players and a ts of 5 players in mfl and this is a ppr league

Roster

QB: D. Jones, B. Mayfield
RB: S.Barkley, M.Breida, T. Cohen D.Johnson, J. Williams, B. Scarborough
WR: B.Cooks, C.Goodwin, K. Allen, T.Lockett, C. Kirk, M. Williams, D. Westbrook, A. Miller
TE: C. Herndon, R. Griffin, I. Thomas
K C.Boswell
DL M. Davenport, F. Clark, S. Hubbard,
LB M. D. Jones, L. Vander Esch, R. Evans, M. Milano, H. Landry, J. Baker
DB: B.Baker, J. Bates, J. Peppers

Practice squad: P. Williams, T. Rapp, C. Ferrell, E. Oliver, B. Cashman

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 am

Whats wrong with the DLF rookie board cheatsheet? :?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:23 am

I'm a big fan of Matt Waldman and I love watching his RSP "Boiler room" videos on YouTube, I'm buying a copy of his Rookie Scouting Portfolio ($20, he's donates 10%) tonight just so I can financially support him for the great work he does.

I encourage you guys to check out his stuff on YouTube, just type in "Matt Waldman RSP" on YouTube and you'll see his channel.

I also will be using all the stuff on DLF premium ($30yr, I think $10 FanDuel special is still available) like I have for the last 2 seasons.

You can have the best resources available but I still advise everyone to make their own player evaluations/rankings. Just watch a little tape on each prospect, it's so much more fun to draft guys that you research and like rather than just going by what others say, it's YOUR team after all! :thumbup:

http://www.mattwaldman.com

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/scouting/

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:29 am

There are a lot of draft guides available but the problem I find is they aren't fantasy related necessarily. They are more geared towards the football player without any follow thru or action plan to apply that to fantasy rookie drafts.

The 1st annual UTH Draft Guide is really nice IMO. Has a gameplan for each offensive position group and explanation as to why player X is a target player but player Y is not both from a metric and film basis. If your looking for a lengthy read the UTH Guide is not for you. If your looking for an action based concise metric game plan for the rookie class this is it.
Also will have post NFL draft update
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:08 pm

HawkeyeState wrote:without any follow thru or action plan to apply that to fantasy rookie drafts.
i think this is critical to understand.

it's not enough to look at a list of names in some kind of order. you need to understand why the names are in that order and this should (when dealing with a credible source) stem from some kind of tactical approach to the rounds and strategic approach to that specific draft.

a good source will make sure you know what their plan is and how it affects their list of names. Waldman is a great example. if you don't share his approach to a given year's draft, you should adjust the ranking list at the end of the RSP. in a move that seems almost as if it were designed to function that way, he gives you the write ups and tier break downs to do exactly that in the body of the work.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2023 Champ: Benny Blanco
2022 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj (again!)
2021 Champ: ZShultz
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:50 pm

I like the UTH one a lot. Probably my favorite. I love the Matt Waldman RSP but that's geared more towards "football" as opposed to "fantasy draft". Which is a great resource too, but Chad's (UTH) is geared towards the actual rookie draft and details how you can mine some value. Also goes into the metrics of high upside profiles for later day 3/undrafted guys. Also gives historical context on how they relate to previous classes/prospects.

Love Dane Brugler's guide as well, strictly film based, but Dane is one of the best in the business in my opinion. Haven't purchased NDT or Optimum's Scouting's guides.

Remember to not take anyone's ideas as gospel. Use it as information. I like to do my own work on prospects, then combine it with film gurus like a Waldman/Brugler, as well as metrics like a UTH/Rotoviz/PFF, and see who checks the boxes and and how they all stack up. When they all align, those are my go to targets.

Regardless of

deputylefty
Starter
Starter

Postby deputylefty » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:15 pm

How about Dane Bruglar's draft tome?

cc texan
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby cc texan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:34 am

I've always liked the DLF draft guide / cheat sheet, but it feel more like a consensus tool -like ADP. That has its good and bad sides, but it's "safer".

I just bought Chad Parson's draft breakdown for the first time this year. I was expecting more individual player analysis at the price, but the aggregate metric analysis is awesome and isn't something you won't find anywhere else.

In also going to throw out FFGhost's ORANGE Report. I really like the player-by-player analysis of their college game. I really like that it's all done pre-draft, and so removes the draft position inflation. It's also really deep -15 QBs, 25 RBs, 30 WRs, 15 TEs, so it's still a good read on player or prospects waayy down the draft board. Not sure if he's doing another on this year since its usually out the first week of Apr.
12 Team IDP. QB:1 / RB:1-3 / WR:2-5 / TE:1-3 / DL:2-4 / LB:2-4 / DB:2-4
QB: Newton, Rivers
RB: Hyde, Gordon, Martin, Dixon, Prosise, Williams (GB), Connor
WR: Beckham, Parker, White, Ty Williams, Doctson, Schuster-Smith, Boyd
TE: Thomas, Howard, Everett
DL: Cox, Fowler, Clark
LB: Alonso, Kendricks, Mack, Hicks, Kirksey, Mercilus, Ray
DB: Ryan, B Jones
Devy: Bryan Edwards

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:58 am

Just remember that the UTHers have gone full loony though. What was once a tremendous insight into a system hack for dynasty has become something like a cult. Lots to learn over there and the basic philosophy has a lot to offer, but be very careful about seeing everyone over 21 as a bum...

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:50 am

ArrylT wrote:Whats wrong with the DLF rookie board cheatsheet? :?

other than a few guys haven't updated their rankings in 2 months , so it is really hard to put any real faith in the consensus rankings.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

deputylefty
Starter
Starter

Postby deputylefty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:16 am

Is anyone willing to buy all of the available draft guides and do an objective breakdown of the pros and cons of each?

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:30 am

I'm gonna go with Coogan's tape watching project. Stellar analysis that I am basing all of my draft decisions on this year. :dance: :thumbup:

deputylefty
Starter
Starter

Postby deputylefty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:09 am

pokerface40 wrote:I'm gonna go with Coogan's tape watching project. Stellar analysis that I am basing all of my draft decisions on this year. :dance: :thumbup:
Is there a link to this?

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:20 pm

The RSP is loaded with a lot of great info but I feel as though you need to be unemployed, single, and have no other interests in life to be able to get through it and retain all of the information that's provided. I love the Orange Report myself.