A.P.

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Orca wrote: don't think that is PPR.
4th, 7th and 2nd in ppr leagues - still a consistent elite player; the only players who compare well right now are MJD and Chris Johnson. Too early to rank someone like Rice equal much less in front of him. Remember, people were ranking Forte ahead of AP in ppr leagues coming into this season just a few months back. A player can quickly jump into the top ranks and just as quickly disappear. Just last season the Ravens were running McClain ahead of both McGahee and Rice. Coming into this season, it was an uncertain situation. Rice looks like he can establish himself as a top 5 RB. But that's a calculated risk. I'd be more comfortable believing that AP can do it before Rice.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 pm

I agree with you. Peterson is more established and much more likely to remain a top 5 back going forward. All I am saying is that I personally rank them about equal. I like Rice because of his age and his upside. If they realize that rice could have walked into the end zone through the gaping holes just as easily as McGahee, and he starts getting goal line carries, his value will jump that much more.

But yeah, it is hard to argue with Peterson's output and Rice needs a larger body of work before he can be anointed permastud.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Orca wrote:
skip wrote:
Orca wrote: Name recognition, hype and being the purely best runner in the NFL are all worth exactly 0 fantasy points. He may be the best running back in the NFL but he is not the best fantasy running back in the NFL.
Really? Check the thread that Kris just posted.

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/fo ... hp?t=11825

AP finished top 3 the last 3 seasons. If you know who will finish #1 next season, do tell. What makes AP the best is that he is consistently elite at position where players often are not.
I don't think that is PPR.
yea it is PPR. AP is a monster, and still has put up decent stats this year with their offense struggling down the stretch... look for ADP to have a big year next year.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:02 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
Orca wrote:
skip wrote: Really? Check the thread that Kris just posted.

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/fo ... hp?t=11825

AP finished top 3 the last 3 seasons. If you know who will finish #1 next season, do tell. What makes AP the best is that he is consistently elite at position where players often are not.

I don't think that is PPR.
They are not ppr results.

yea it is PPR. AP is a monster, and still has put up decent stats this year with their offense struggling down the stretch... look for ADP to have a big year next year.
It is not PPR
Last edited by Orca on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:54 am

I just think Rice is a more effective all-around back, has a running style that is less likely to get him hurt, is 2 years younger, and has proven he can put up monster stats. If Mcgahee leaves this year (which I think he definitely will), Rice will consistently put up better fantasy numbers than Peterson in my opinion. I would actually rank AP 4th in fantasy value behind Johnson, Jones-Drew, and Rice.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:34 am

skip wrote:
Orca wrote: don't think that is PPR.
4th, 7th and 2nd in ppr leagues - still a consistent elite player; the only players who compare well right now are MJD and Chris Johnson. Too early to rank someone like Rice equal much less in front of him. Remember, people were ranking Forte ahead of AP in ppr leagues coming into this season just a few months back. A player can quickly jump into the top ranks and just as quickly disappear. Just last season the Ravens were running McClain ahead of both McGahee and Rice. Coming into this season, it was an uncertain situation. Rice looks like he can establish himself as a top 5 RB. But that's a calculated risk. I'd be more comfortable believing that AP can do it before Rice.
Steven Jackson..............? (who has been 6th in average PPG the last 3 years)

Btw as an Eagles fan born and raised primarily during the McNabb/Westbrook era....I see MJD, and Ray Rice as typical Westbrook prototypes. Not just in stature but in their utilization and development...And that is apparent when you watch how they play, and how they are utilized. It may be too early to be putting ALL your eggs in one basket....but to me Rice is a safe bet to make - I believe Rice is an even safer bet than Chris Johnson long term....

And lets not forget......MJD, and Ray Rice JUST STARTED getting a bulk of the touches (and for good reason - because they have developed their talent enough to be featured)....AP has ALWAYS received the bulk of the touches (more for the benefit of the doubt of his incredible dynamic talent). MJD has finished 4th the past 2 years in average PPG. ADP has finished 2nd, 10th, and 4th in the past 3 years. Orca is right...name, and glamour doesnt score you extra points in fantasy. So as much as having a potential HOF player may make you feel special...in fantasy its really not worth anything.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:13 am

bobbytheo3 wrote:I just think Rice is a more effective all-around back, has a running style that is less likely to get him hurt, is 2 years younger, and has proven he can put up monster stats. If Mcgahee leaves this year (which I think he definitely will), Rice will consistently put up better fantasy numbers than Peterson in my opinion. I would actually rank AP 4th in fantasy value behind Johnson, Jones-Drew, and Rice.
I like those rankings since I have all three. :D

I personally still have ADP ahead of Jones-Drew and Rice though. I'm on the fence with Chris Johnson as to who I would take first. But, I must admit, I'm a Vikings homer. So, that probably influences my perception of Peterson's greatness.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:58 am

kris_kapsner wrote:
bobbytheo3 wrote:I just think Rice is a more effective all-around back, has a running style that is less likely to get him hurt, is 2 years younger, and has proven he can put up monster stats. If Mcgahee leaves this year (which I think he definitely will), Rice will consistently put up better fantasy numbers than Peterson in my opinion. I would actually rank AP 4th in fantasy value behind Johnson, Jones-Drew, and Rice.

I personally still have ADP ahead of Jones-Drew and Rice though. I'm on the fence with Chris Johnson as to who I would take first. But, I must admit, I'm a Vikings homer. So, that probably influences my perception of Peterson's greatness.
I still have AP first overall with CJ a very close second. Rice is not in the same tier with these guys - don't kid yourself. Rice is more productive than I expected him to be, but its in more of a "I'm a gamer" way than a "I am dominant" one, if that makes any sense.

Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cojo 2020 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:21 pm

bobbytheo3 wrote:I wouldn't trade Ray Rice for Peterson straight up. And then if your throwing in Ryan you need a lot more than just a draft pick or Sanchez in my opinion.
Wow...a bold statement. I would trade Ray Rice, Ryan and more for ADP. But I am biased probably since I have him on my two main teams.
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:45 pm

thevidon2 wrote:
kris_kapsner wrote:

I still have AP first overall with CJ a very close second. Rice is not in the same tier with these guys - don't kid yourself. Rice is more productive than I expected him to be, but its in more of a "I'm a gamer" way than a "I am dominant" one, if that makes any sense.
Rice IS in the same tier with these guys (well, maybe not Johnson), whether its because of arbitrary reasons like "gamer" or "dominant" or whatever else. So what if he isn't going to make the cover of Muscle and Fitness like Peterson or have the best 40 time. It is about all around effectiveness. His lower body is huge, he gets low when he runs and he is a great pass catcher. Don't get me wrong, I think Peterson is amazing player, but I think he might have a short shelf life due to his running style. I like the smaller strong guys who run low like Emmitt, Barry, and Tiki when it comes to picking out who will last for a while.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 pm

thevidon2 wrote:
kris_kapsner wrote:

it doesnt matter how you are productive...you dont get style points for HOW YOU ARE PRODUCTIVE. You get points for HOW PRODUCTIVE YOU ARE...and in my mind I still like MJD and Rice just as much as Chris Johnson....MJD has a 4.7 career YPC over 4 years and he stays around that...CJ has a career YPC of 5.3 in 2 years....there is no way he maintains that pace, with this heavy of a workload...especially with his body frame, and playing style...