Thinking about converting my league from yahoo help.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 am

the_lung wrote:I have found that most owners who complain about MFL's userface had a commissioner who didn't know how to use the Home Page Modules and Tabs Setup in the Appearance Setup to make for a nice default view, and these owners were also too lazy or unwilling to do any customization to their own home page with all of MFL's various modules.
Very true. When I first joined an MFL league I wasn't too impressed with the setup but looking back it was almost all things the commish didn't do....For a point of reference, I had all 5 of my leagues custom designed this year. It took some money but the sites look awesome now. Here is a link to one of them:

http://www14.myfantasyleague.com/2009/home/68094

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:43 am

hosler427 wrote:
yumbo wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:MFL is by far the best site I have ever used.
I like MFL too, but it's a pain trying to navigate to things from page to page. ESPN and Fleaflicker, you can access your roster from anywhere. MFL, you cannot...unless I'm missing something which is not out of the realm of possibilty. LOL

I really like ESPN and then Fleaflicker. They are both free. :wink: :D
Jim on our league pages there is a navigation bar....one of the options is ROSTERS. Also the drop down menu is available from every page ;-)
Yes Dan I see that, but it brings up all the rosters. If ou want to check just your own, you have to go to the teams home sight and then click on rosters.

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:50 am

the_lung wrote:I have found that most owners who complain about MFL's userface had a commissioner who didn't know how to use the Home Page Modules and Tabs Setup in the Appearance Setup to make for a nice default view, and these owners were also too lazy or unwilling to do any customization to their own home page with all of MFL's various modules.
I don't believe this describes Dan, at all. :wink: :D

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 am

yumbo wrote:
I don't believe this describes Dan, at all. :wink: :D
lol...thanks Jim

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09 pm

the_lung wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:Pay (a small fortune): MFL
I suggest you look at what other pay services cost. Many other pay-for-play fantasy football service providers charge over $100 per year. $69.95 for MFL is a bargain compared to the others.
Compared to FREE it doesn't matter if other sites cost more, or if MFL is a 'bargain' compared to those sites. Compared to FREE it's a small fortune to use MFL.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
the_lung wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:Pay (a small fortune): MFL
I suggest you look at what other pay services cost. Many other pay-for-play fantasy football service providers charge over $100 per year. $69.95 for MFL is a bargain compared to the others.
Compared to FREE it doesn't matter if other sites cost more, or if MFL is a 'bargain' compared to those sites. Compared to FREE it's a small fortune to use MFL.
You get what you pay for IMO....sure yahoo, fleaflicker, and espn are free but not nearly as many options and if something does go wrong...good luck finding help to get it fixed

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:38 pm

Don't get me wrong: I like MFL and play in two leagues with them (for free though, since someone has connections). The bottom line for me is that ESPN and even Yahoo have better interfaces for tinkering with different lineups and lineup submission. You don't have to submit an entire page and click again to submit a lineup or to view another combination on either ESPN or Yahoo.

They have advanced interfaces that allow you to manipulate and/or submit your lineups dynamically (without loading another page, etc.). MFL, for what they charge should get with the times and upgrade their user-interface, especially lineup submission to approach the complexity and functionality of what ESPN and Yahoo both are producing for free. The available data and sorting ability contained and changeable all on one page that ESPN uses is far better than the basic HTML, CSS stuff that MFL uses. They are far behind with regards to their user interfaces, as I said.

The #1 reason to use MFL is probably the customization of the pages and ability to add your own color-schemes (style sheets/CSS) and graphics. You are limited in what you can do in that regard for ESPN (and Yahoo). The way they handle draft-picks and dynasty formats is better, too. There are pros and cons for both. (Sometimes I wonder if some of the folks that preach MFL so hard are simply trying to justify money spent on fantasy football).

Lineup manipulation/submission is probably the #1 thing I want to be able to do easily and dynamically and that is what ESPN (Yahoo, too) does best and for free.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 pm

hosler427 wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
the_lung wrote: I suggest you look at what other pay services cost. Many other pay-for-play fantasy football service providers charge over $100 per year. $69.95 for MFL is a bargain compared to the others.
You get what you pay for IMO....sure yahoo, fleaflicker, and espn are free but not nearly as many options and if something does go wrong...good luck finding help to get it fixed
(This is a fun debate, I hope nobody takes anything personal)

Nearly two full seasons managing 3 dynasty leagues and ZERO problems or anything 'going wrong'. I've also used ESPN's customer service (to simply learn how remove a LM from a league) and not only did I not hold for any length of time, they were knowledgeable of the questions I asked and solved my issue no problem. So, I don't buy the 'good luck getting it fixed' argument, since my experience over the past two years has been different, and positive.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
Misfit74 wrote: Compared to FREE it doesn't matter if other sites cost more, or if MFL is a 'bargain' compared to those sites. Compared to FREE it's a small fortune to use MFL.

Nearly two full seasons managing 3 dynasty leagues and ZERO problems or anything 'going wrong'. I've also used ESPN's customer service (to simply learn how remove a LM from a league) and not only did I not hold for any length of time, they were knowledgeable of the questions I asked and solved my issue no problem. So, I don't buy the 'good luck getting it fixed' argument, since my experience over the past two years has been different, and positive.
I don't take anything personally in these debates. Good stuff. Anyways, ESPN must have addressed their customer service because 7-8 years ago I had a hell of a time getting any kind of help and there were a lot of issues that year. Since then I have not used the commish controls on ESPN. Good to know. MFL has more options/categories for scoring, better defined IDP positions which is huge IMO, not to mention the ability to customize appearance which is a good thing as well.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:21 pm

hosler427 wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
hosler427 wrote: You get what you pay for IMO....sure yahoo, fleaflicker, and espn are free but not nearly as many options and if something does go wrong...good luck finding help to get it fixed

I don't take anything personally in these debates. Good stuff. Anyways, ESPN must have addressed their customer service because 7-8 years ago I had a hell of a time getting any kind of help and there were a lot of issues that year. Since then I have not used the commish controls on ESPN. Good to know. MFL has more options/categories for scoring, better defined IDP positions which is huge IMO, not to mention the ability to customize appearance which is a good thing as well.
Why has drafting options not been mentioned in this discussion? Yahoo and ESPN dont give you the draft timer options that MFL do...with ESPN or yahoo you either have everyone there and ready to go, or you dont and the draft happens anyway. This is HUGE, because it cuts out the need for a separate message board.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Good point Vince. For the leagues that do message board type, long-timer dynasty drafts, MFL cuts out the time loading rosters and allows you to utilize a slow draft.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:55 pm

yumbo wrote:Yes Dan I see that, but it brings up all the rosters. If ou want to check just your own, you have to go to the teams home sight and then click on rosters.
For Owners > Franchise Setup > Homepage

Under Available Modules, find: Franchise Roster. Add to List of Currently Used Modules. Move it up all the way to the top.

Now your own roster is the first thing you see on your league home page.

cowboys85
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cowboys85 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:07 pm

I use ESPN and MFL for dynasty leagues and both get the job done. I really like the ESPN user interface, just like Allen said, along with how the league page is set-up. I think the lineup submission is easier and simpler with ESPN. It is true that ESPN lacks functions that MFL has like a slow draft, practice squad capabilities, and ESPN's IDP eligibility is a little off so MFL gets some points there (I did see Matthew Berry mention once that ESPN is working on a slow draft function, that'd be nice). But for a free site, ESPN is great and I would recommend it to anyone.
ECFFL (Commissioner) - Mullet Mullitia
Gridiron 3 - Hamden Hawks
UDL - Connecticut Cowboys

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:13 pm

the_lung wrote:
yumbo wrote:Yes Dan I see that, but it brings up all the rosters. If ou want to check just your own, you have to go to the teams home sight and then click on rosters.
For Owners > Franchise Setup > Homepage

Under Available Modules, find: Franchise Roster. Add to List of Currently Used Modules. Move it up all the way to the top.

Now your own roster is the first thing you see on your league home page.
We have a custom design so I had to take away those functions for owners. I left them up and a few owners experienced some messed up homepages :wink:

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:14 pm

cowboys85 wrote:I use ESPN and MFL for dynasty leagues and both get the job done. I really like the ESPN user interface, just like Allen said, along with how the league page is set-up. I think the lineup submission is easier and simpler with ESPN. It is true that ESPN lacks functions that MFL has like a slow draft, practice squad capabilities, and ESPN's IDP eligibility is a little off so MFL gets some points there (I did see Matthew Berry mention once that ESPN is working on a slow draft function, that'd be nice). But for a free site, ESPN is great and I would recommend it to anyone.
Not to discredit anything you said but....Matthew Berry is a douche :lol: