Expansion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Entropy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Expansion

Postby Entropy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:30 am

My league is considering expanding next year. Any advice on how to handle that in terms of an expansion draft or other considerations to give the new guys a chance to get competitive quickly...but yet not give them a Panthers/Jaguars type free ride?
--Entropy ===GO SKINS===
10-team .25PPR league 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1W/T, 1W/R, 1K, 1DEF, 11 BN, 1 IR
QB: Rodgers(Gb), Ryan(Atl)
RB: Martin(Tb), Lynch(Sea), Spiller(Buf), Miller (Mia), Ingram(NO), Hyde (SF)
WR: Cobb(Gb), Crabtree(Sf), Bowe (Kc), Hartline(Mia), Shorts(Jac), Gordon(Cle), Jeffery(Chi), Hunter(Ten), Quick(StL)
TE: Eifert(Cin), Kelce(KC), Fleener(Ind), Amaro(NyJ)
K: varies
DEF: Arizona

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:44 am

i think you have to allow every team to have a certain number of protected players... and limits on the positions to how many they can protect... after that the expansion teams are allowed to choose a player from each roster... and each expansion team should be allowed the #1 and #2 picks.... bumping everyone else down.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 am

I agree with Spencer. Teams should be able to protect a certain number of players with positional limits on protected players. I think that is the only fair way to do it. Luckily you have an 8 team league and there should be plenty of developmental players available on the WW for the new owners. I have never been a part of an expansion draft but I can think of a more fair way to do it.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Make sure teams can protect 4-5 guys and also ensure that no team has more players picked from it than any of the others. Let the two teams draft a starting lineup from the other teams (again making sure no team loses more players than the others), and then give them a couple extra first rounders.

I don't like positional limits because some teams stack RBs or WRs intentionally and if they cant protect one of their 4 top 10 WR's they shouldn't be penalized for stockpiling a particular position.

Entropy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Entropy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:39 pm

thevidon2 wrote:Make sure teams can protect 4-5 guys and also ensure that no team has more players picked from it than any of the others. Let the two teams draft a starting lineup from the other teams (again making sure no team loses more players than the others), and then give them a couple extra first rounders.

I don't like positional limits because some teams stack RBs or WRs intentionally and if they cant protect one of their 4 top 10 WR's they shouldn't be penalized for stockpiling a particular position.
*spits drink all over thevidon2 in shock...and for comedic effect*

Protect only 4 or 5 guys!?!?! Holy ****! I was thinking more like the opposite: EXPOSING 8-10 guys per team. In fact, I thought exposing 10 was probably to many. Because our league is so shallow even exposing 8 will put a pretty good number of either old guys or prospects into the expansion draft. Combined with the rich WW (hosler was right, our wire is always bountiful...I am always coveting stuff on our wire), I thought that was plenty.

But you did pick a specific number and that's part of what i was after. 4 is our yearly cut for our draft, and while two of the teams can easily find 4 pieces of crap to cut (they're mismanaged), the rest of the league usually has to put some tempting stuff in the draft. Making it 8 seemed plenty to me.
--Entropy ===GO SKINS===
10-team .25PPR league 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1W/T, 1W/R, 1K, 1DEF, 11 BN, 1 IR
QB: Rodgers(Gb), Ryan(Atl)
RB: Martin(Tb), Lynch(Sea), Spiller(Buf), Miller (Mia), Ingram(NO), Hyde (SF)
WR: Cobb(Gb), Crabtree(Sf), Bowe (Kc), Hartline(Mia), Shorts(Jac), Gordon(Cle), Jeffery(Chi), Hunter(Ten), Quick(StL)
TE: Eifert(Cin), Kelce(KC), Fleener(Ind), Amaro(NyJ)
K: varies
DEF: Arizona

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Also, whenever a player is taken from a team, that team gets to protect some more players.

The exact numbers depend on the expansion, but is an example:

8 team, start 12, roster size 30, expanding to 12 team: I'd say each team expose 25 players. When a player is taken from that team, pull back four more players. The next time a player is taken off of that team, pull back four more players.

What happens then is that each original team loses 5 players, and is left with a 25 man roster. 5 players x 8 teams is 40 players, divided by the 4 expansion teams means that each of the expansion teams is now up to 10 players.

You can either have a special free agent draft to get those teams up to the same roster sizes, or sprinkle extra picks in...

Or... have the original 8 teams cut back to 20 players, expose 15, and pull back 3 each time a player is taken from their team. That would leave the original teams at 15 man rosters, the new teams at 10. Less inequity.

You can decide how nice you want to be to the new owners, but I wouldn't just give them the top picks in each round. maybe rotate them between the top and th bottom of the rounds, stuff like that....

-oo-

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Here's another thread for some more idea-

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/fo ... sion#43331

MEGSAGolf
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby MEGSAGolf » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:30 pm

We expanded my league last year. We HAD a 10 team league, start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 def, and 1 kicker.

We expanded by two teams. Last year, each team had 18 roster spots. We had each time drop 4 players, but they had to be made up of 3 different positions, no kickers. If I had it to do over again, I would make the clause you could only drop 1 defense.

We also offered a reduced entry fee for 2 years for the new teams, and they got the 1st two picks in the draft.

This worked out pretty good, we had 1 team finish 11th, and one finish 7th, just barely missing the playoffs. If we had the rule in about only 1 defense, I think they would have fared a lot better. Good luck.
12 Team League

QB: Luck, Bradford
RB: AP, McCoy, Arian Foster, Ben Tate, Ryan Mathews, Dwyer, Best (IR)
WR: Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Jennings, TB Mike Williams, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Gordon, Alshon Jeffery
TE: Graham
D: Texans, Eagles

2013 Picks: (1) 1st round pick
2014 Picks: (2) 1st round picks, (2) 2nd round picks - (1) is a conditional that could become a 1st, (1) 3rd round pick

Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cojo 2020 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:40 pm

meineymoe wrote:Also, whenever a player is taken from a team, that team gets to protect some more players.

The exact numbers depend on the expansion, but is an example:

8 team, start 12, roster size 30, expanding to 12 team: I'd say each team expose 25 players. When a player is taken from that team, pull back four more players. The next time a player is taken off of that team, pull back four more players.

What happens then is that each original team loses 5 players, and is left with a 25 man roster. 5 players x 8 teams is 40 players, divided by the 4 expansion teams means that each of the expansion teams is now up to 10 players.

You can either have a special free agent draft to get those teams up to the same roster sizes, or sprinkle extra picks in...

Or... have the original 8 teams cut back to 20 players, expose 15, and pull back 3 each time a player is taken from their team. That would leave the original teams at 15 man rosters, the new teams at 10. Less inequity.

You can decide how nice you want to be to the new owners, but I wouldn't just give them the top picks in each round. maybe rotate them between the top and th bottom of the rounds, stuff like that....

-oo-
I agree with this plan the best...you really should let teams pull back players from the exposed list once they lose a player in the expansion draft.
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:57 pm

I've never done an expansion draft. But, after thinking about it a little, I like this idea. But, it depends how good you want the expansion teams to be right out of the gate.

If more than two teams are joining the league, then set a draft order for those teams and snake the expansion draft just like a start up draft. If only two teams are joining then go a,b,b,a,a,b,b... for the draft order.

I'd let each current owner protect three players. Then, each expansion team gets to choose an available player in their round 1. After round 1 the current owners get to protect another player. Proceed in round 2 with the expansion teams drafting in the opposite order. Once again, each current team protects another player. Repeat the process for as many rounds as there are players available or rosters are full. Whenever a player is picked from a team during a round, that team becomes protected from a 2nd player getting chosen from their roster in the same round.

After that, proceed with your drafts as normal. But, give your expansion teams the picks in place of the worse teams in the league from your previous year and bump all of the current owners back. So, going from a 8 team league to a 12 team league would give the team that would normally have the #1 overall pick the #5 pick.

I think this is the fairest way to do it and it allows the expansion teams to come in competitive right from the start. There will be some teams, the strongest ones, hit harder than some others. But, I think that's ok.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings