Tyler Lockett

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Tyler Lockett

Postby RightlegTucker » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 pm

So let's talk about this guy a bit. On the main board, I've seen several people comparing him to Hester and calling him a JAG the past couple of weeks. I feel like there is still a persisting general misconception about this guy that he's "just a kick returner", and that he will never be more than a 3rd option in the passing game. Contrary to this notion, he has showed extremely well this season when given has opportunities and has caught fire the last couple of weeks, but is still flying quietly under the radar. On the season, he has caught 35 passes on 44 targets for 436 yards and 3 touchdowns. This is pretty impressive in its own right, as he has caught nearly 80% percent of his total targets, but anyone who has watched the hawks games this year knows Wilson has also missed him deep 3 or 4 times early in the year when he was wide open. He could easily have a couple more TDs and 120+ more yards. Since week 7, he has 23 catches on 25 targets for 298 yards and his receiving touchdowns on the year. He has caught 92% of his targets of his targets over this timespan and Wilson has nearly perfect passer rating when targeting him. It's a small sample size, but this is insane.

So why hasn't Lockett gotten more attention in dynasty? His involvement in the offense has been inconsistent, he's averaging only a little over 3.5 targets per game. Obviously, his proficiency will decrease with additional volume (i.e. his catch rate is unsustainable), but he has shown that he is capable of being effective when given his chances. He has moved behind Baldwin as the clear second option in the passing game in what was a rotation at WR early in the year. With Graham done for the season, I expect him to be more involved in the offense and his value to rise in the closing quarter of the season. Long term, I'm sure there are people concerned about Seattle's offense, and if it is capable of producing a reliable fantasy receiver. I don't think this much of a concern though. Doug Baldwin is currently on pace for over 1,000 yards, and Lockett is much more gifted than he is. Furthermore, I expect Seattle to transition to a more pass heavy offense as Wilson continues to develop, even with Rawls in the fold. I could see Seattle pursuing a big receiver in the offseason, but I expect Lockett to be one of if not the top option(s) in Seattle's passing game given his performance to date in a couple of seasons.

In short, Lockett was a favorite prospect of many owners on these boards and he has flourished thus far. He has shown to be an effective NFL receiver who has only be hampered by limited volume. He has more Antonio Brown in him than Devin Hester. He is a great buy low target right now in PPR leagues.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Tyler Lockett

Postby Cherokee » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:54 am

Everyone can agree in a12 teamer Lockett went around 3.01(very difficult spot to evaulate draft day value) in their rookie draft. No? Ok, so a buy low on him would be--------???.
Ok next, I like him alot so dont get me wrong here, his role will grow which owners know and his value moving forward wont have a Cap
Is he actually a buy high because offering a 2nd wont get him and a 1st seems too risky for me to spend but seems that is what an owner would want. LOCKETT OWNERS, what would it take to get him this offseason?? Is he Hester or Brown? Is he a 1st or 3rd? Trading for a player seems to be just as big as a cluster fu*♤. Would Matt Jones be a good comp for value or Nelson Anghlor?? Stephon Diggs or Karlos Williams? Headache trying to figure this guy out. I wouldn't give up Willie Snead or Jamison Crowder but feel like it should be a no brainer to do exactly that. If anyone owns him please share what would get him. Rookie draft Picks and or a player that is intriguing as a comp in value.
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:05 pm

I think his ADP was somewhere around 25-30 in 12 team leagues making him an early 3rd round pick. I think his perceived value is down because he hasn't gotten the volume to accurately reflect how well he has played. When I used "buy low", I was using it in these terms rather than relative to his ADP. I think both Crowder and Snead are valued slightly higher than him right now, but I'd easily trade either of them for Lockett and here's why. On the year, Crowder has 48 catches on 64 targets for 448 yards and 1 touchdown. Lockett, as I cited above, has 35 catches on 44 targets for 436 yards and 3 touchdowns. He has pretty much an identical statline to Crowder on 20 less targets. Willie Snead has 45 catches on 71 targets for 676 yards and 3 touchdowns. If Lockett's numbers are adjusted to Snead's targets he would have 56 catches for 703 yards and roughly 5 touchdowns. Granted, I doubt he can maintain his nearly 80% catch rate with more targets, but I think it would still be relatively higher than most receivers. He does a good job getting separation and making tough catches.

So that's why I think he's a buy low. He has been so efficient on a limited number of targets that if he were given more opportunities his value would be much higher. He's coming off his heaviest workload of the season, 7 catches on 7 targets for 90 yards, and he looked good doing it. I expect him to become more involved in the offense now that he is second on the pecking order behind Baldwin and feel optimistic about his outlook moving forward. He is the most talented WR on Seattle's roster and I expect them to pass the ball more in the coming seasons.

inaudiblelance
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby inaudiblelance » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Lockett definitely had a good showing this week. this price to acquire him just went up!
TM #1 -- 10 Team PPR 2QB - 23 slots+2 IR -- 2QB/1-4RB/1-4WR/TE/3FLX
QB: JHurts/JFields/BPurdy/THuntley/JHaener/DTR/SBennett
RB: AKamara/RStevenson/IPacheco/KIngram/JFord/TSpears
WR: AJBrown/ASB/BCooks/DHopkins/TDell/DMooney/EMoore/APerry/APierce/CTilman/KToney
TE: DGoedert/DKincaid/COkonkwo

TM #2 -- 12 Team PPR 2QB - 26 slots+2 IR -- 2QB/2RB/2WR/TE/2FLX
QB: TLawrence/JFields/DWatson/SHowell/TBagent/JStidham/TBoyle/SThompson/CRush/JHall
RB: JTaylor/KWalker/DAchane/KHerbert/JCook/ZWhite/ZEvans/JFord/TSpears/JMcLaughlin/KIngram/KMitchell
WR: JWaddle/JChase/EMoore/RMoore/KShakir/CClaypool/JRoss
TE: PFreiermuth/JFerguson/COkonkwo/JWoods/DWashington

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:44 pm

inaudiblelance wrote:Lockett definitely had a good showing this week. this price to acquire him just went up!
Unfortunately! He's definitely still a buy but his value definitely will get a bump. As long as people stop directly comparing him to Devin Hester I'll be happy :thumbup: