What to do when your rebuild starts winning games?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

What to do when your rebuild starts winning games?

Postby BuckeyeNation » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:59 am

So this is a 1st year league where my goal was to completely build around youth/picks. I really like the situation that this team is in for the long run. After starting 0-3, I've run off 4 wins in a row (much to my dismay). I'm 8th in total points, but sitting 4-3 with no real powerhouse teams in the league, I'm wondering if I should alter my plans and buy some players to make a run this year. I have LOTS of youth/picks.

1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2Flex

Rivers/Mariota/Oz
Yeldon/Hillman/Anderson/Vereen/Allen/Coleman/Sankey/Ajayi/Helu
ARob/Martavis/Adams/White/Parker/Perriman/Floyd/Conley/Crowder/Waller
Barnidge/Rodgers/Allen

2016 pick: (4) 1sts, (2) 2nds, (3) 3rds, (2) 4ths

So I go 8-9 deep with young WRs , and I have Yeldon and the DEN backfield at RB. Plus you see that I have 11 picks in 2016, including 4 1st rounders. So I'm wondering if you guys would to move some of my future picks or youth to get some players to make a run this year, or just stay the course. I've never built a team like this before, so that makes me want to stay the course and have a immense amount of young assets with solid value next year. On the other hand, this buy-in in this league is pretty substantial (at least to me), so there is definite value in trying to make something happen now. There are some very interesting players on trading blocks of teams that are looking to blow up their teams or build for the future, it's a veritable who's who of veteran player. Here's some names on trade blocks that I could target.

Forte/Fitz/Marshall/Graham/Lynch/Calvin/McCoy/Martin/Gates/Murray......All of these names are on team's who are either already out of contention, or they're just barely staying afloat. So it's not like these are powerhouse teams putting names on their blocks for the hell of it. I definitely have the ammo to acquire 3-4 major vet players if I want to try to make a run. At the same time though, I have youth fever on this roster and am salivating at the thought of the type of young depth I could have next spring.

I know this is a long post and complex question, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

ddog2303
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: What to do when your rebuild starts winning games?

Postby ddog2303 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:12 am

I stay where you are. Keep your plan of youth and picks. If you win a bit now fine. But don't blow it up for a win now. 8th in points isn't promising. Seems like maybe teams haven't put up points against you. I'd stay put
8 team SUPERFLEX, PPR, .2 PPC, 1.5PPR for TEs, 5 point passing TDs, IDP
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 SF, 1 K
3DL, 4 LB, 4 DB

QB- Rodgers, Wentz,
RB- DJ, Barkley, Kamara, Cook, Mixon, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Ekeler, Lindsay, Powell
WR- AB, OBJ, Nuk, Michael Thomas, Adams, Watkins, Josh Gordon, Dante Pettis, Doctson, Tyrell, Josh Reynolds
TE- Zach Ertz, Jordan Reed, Hunter Henry, Shaheen
DL- Watt, Donald, Campbell, Griffen, Graham, Irving
LB- Kuechly, Lee, Kwon, Martinez, Hicks, Eric Kendricks, Edmunds, Preston Brown, Hitchens
DB- Landon Collins, Keanu Neal, Poyer, Hyde, Quin, Cyprien

Payton34
Captain
Captain

Postby Payton34 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:56 am

Yeah, stick with the plan... Your team isn't a winner yet..
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes,
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 3 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7, 1.11… 1 2nd 2.17… 1 3rd 3.31…

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:28 am

I'd say there is a middle ground here. Not all "win now" moves should be for veteran players and in this case I might look to consolidate some of those picks and prospects into players who still fit you team's general age but are also producing right now. Allen Robinson would have been the first guy I'd have pointed to if he weren't already on you team. Keenan Allen, Jarvis Landry (you didn't mention if it was PPR), Donte Moncrief, TY Hilton, Tyler Eifert etc

See what some of the owners of these players want and if the price isn't prohibitive then you can improve your immediate production and keep the strong future of the team.
16 Team PPR (11th Year Dynasty - Former 2 Time Champion)
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson
C. McCaffrey, N. Harris, C. Hubbard
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, D. Johnson, G. Davis, D. Mims, J. Palmer
D. Waller, C. Kmet, B. Jordan

C. Young, R. Quinn
D. Leonard, M. Milano, C. Mosely, B. Okereke, J. Davis
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

Picks - 1.01, 2.12, 3.01, 3.15, 4.14

16 Team PPR (10th Year Dynasty - Reigning 5 Time Champion)
A. Rodgers, J. Fields
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Dobbins, M. Davis
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Green, T. Johnson, Dy. Brown, G. Pickens, J. Tolbert,
N. Fant, A. Okwugbunam, J. Harris
J. Elliott

D. Lawrence, R. Quinn, T. Hendrickson
R. Smith, B. Okereke, L. Wilson, J. Davis, D. Tranquil, B. Asamoah
J. Simmons, W. Harris

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:31 am

its a good idea to test the waters of the guys you mentioned, but chances are, they are looking to use those guys and get valuable pieces. how much value really depends. i wouldnt give mid 1sts for them. i would try buying using all your draft picks minus the 1sts and see what you can get. i mean...a 2nd for fitz is good to the other owner. a 2nd for marshall is good. a 3rd for gates....adams and a 2nd for martin would be a good offer....you get the idea here.

there is no use sending out huge overpays for the guys you've listed.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:36 am

Stay the course. It's not a bad idea to spend your 1sts but do it on more young upside guys, not old guys. Melvin Gordon for example. Your team isn't that good you're just getting lucky it would seem with a couple huge games from Martavis/Barnage etc. Do not send out 2nds for old guys.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:55 am

I agree to stay the course and I like the idea of just seeing if you can get more young talent for some of your picks. See if you can upgrade a week position like TE. Trade Barnidge to a top team for a young upside guy for example. But overall I wouldn't adjust your course too much, stay with it and you'll have a powerhouse long term, you really don't have the firepower to really make a serious run at it unless you go buy all those old guys. That's OK is you really want to try to win it all this year...but then where are you 2 years from now. If you stay the course you may be in the championship for a number of years.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:00 pm

all these guys mentioning staying the course, but i see 20 guys on your team that you have no idea what you have. where are you at rb besides yeldon? where are you at wr besides arob and bryant? likewise at te.... you then have all those picks for next year in which you surely wont be drafting 11 new players.

its hard to say what kind of value any of those rb's will have and some will likely just be drops to make room. you've got some great young names at wr, but you dont know how they will perform, im sure you would like to find out, so im going to assume you view them as keepers for the most part. you already drafted for youth and when ive done that in the past....ive never had to worry about youth...i drafted it.

i like the idea of targeting younger players, but if those guys arent available, i see no reason not to target some older guys that may have 2 years or so left after this year. all of this is relative to price of course. if the asking price is early-mid 1st...id just stand pat. if your getting into possibly a late 1st or 2nd...i think its certainly worth acquiring a vet or 3 that may make you an instant contender. again though it really depends on what the other owners want.

if you stay the course, you likely arent winning this year, you likely arent winning next year with that young of a team, and perhaps the 3rd year you have a chance assuming all these young guys pan out. you go ahead and add some known commodities now, to go with what you have...you have a chance this year, you buy time next year, and that youth will be developed in your 3rd year.

Coolryan
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Coolryan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:05 pm

See how it works out. My team in sig was a rebuild in 1st year last year (didn't have alshon, Evans or marshawn at the time). Looked like I was going to make the playoffs, traded for forsett and won it all. I wouldn't be afraid to make moves if you're comfortable, you never know
Brady, Cam,
Peterson, Ingram, Langford, Rawls, Ellington, Forsett, Sankey, hillman, Alfred blue, marshawn lynch
Antonio Brown, OBJ, Alshon, mike Evans, Golden Tate, Arob

PPR, 1 QB 2 RB 4 WR/TE no starting tight end requirements.
2016: 1.10