General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:24 am

princevincexoxo wrote:
Orca wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
I see Alex Smith being the man from here on out and being a viable QB2 with QB1 potential
Even if Smith performs well, I am not sure the niner's offense can generate a QB1

Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Bruce, and Gore....its possible....remember the Falcons?

His situation definitely has QB1 POTENTIAL. Not to say it will be fulfilled...but the possibility is there.
I assume you are referring tot he Falcons of last year? Granted, they had a great year, but in our league (6pt TD, 1 yard per 25) Matt Ryan still finished 14th among Quarterbacks.

And Misfit covered their O line woes.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:20 am

Orca wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
Orca wrote: Even if Smith performs well, I am not sure the niner's offense can generate a QB1

Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Bruce, and Gore....its possible....remember the Falcons?

His situation definitely has QB1 POTENTIAL. Not to say it will be fulfilled...but the possibility is there.
I assume you are referring tot he Falcons of last year? Granted, they had a great year, but in our league (6pt TD, 1 yard per 25) Matt Ryan still finished 14th among Quarterbacks.

O-Lines can improve by the week though `and Im pretty sure having Vernon Davis doesnt hurt....Alex Smith OR that O-Line...

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:26 am

princevincexoxo wrote:
Orca wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:

O-Lines can improve by the week though `and Im pretty sure having Vernon Davis doesnt hurt....Alex Smith OR that O-Line...
Vernon Davis has had two full years of underwhelming performances with more than a few issues with his character and maturity followed by four consecutive games of fantasy relevance. I will need to see more before I anoint him A. Smith's POTENTIAL savior.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:30 am

Orca wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
Orca wrote: I assume you are referring tot he Falcons of last year? Granted, they had a great year, but in our league (6pt TD, 1 yard per 25) Matt Ryan still finished 14th among Quarterbacks.

Vernon Davis has had two full years of underwhelming performances with more than a few issues with his character and maturity followed by four consecutive games of fantasy relevance. I will need to see more before I anoint him A. Smith's POTENTIAL savior.

Even before Vernon Davis had fantasy relevance he was STILL a good blocker remember? :wink: So regardless Davis' presence is going to help Alex Smith in SOME WAY.

Its funny because Alex Smith actually has several weapons, Crabtree, Davis, and Gore....throw in role players like Morgan, Bruce, Hill, and Coffee and you have a pretty nice core of young developing players...and its always better when young players grow together under decent coaches.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:54 pm

When I watch Alex Smith, he just doesn't have "IT." Maybe I am being over critical but I really don't see it happening for him. He just recorded his first win as a starter but it was the equivalent of winning because your tennis opponent double faulted on every serve.

On a side note, don't even get me started on how overrated Cutler is.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:46 pm

Orca wrote:When I watch Alex Smith, he just doesn't have "IT." Maybe I am being over critical but I really don't see it happening for him. He just recorded his first win as a starter but it was the equivalent of winning because your tennis opponent double faulted on every serve.

On a side note, don't even get me started on how overrated Cutler is.
The problem with your assessment is your inability to be FAIR. Its easy to make someone look tall when you compare them to a midget, and its easy to make someone look small if you compare them to a giant. Lets look at it for what it is....Kyle Orton and Vince Young dont always out duel their opponents statistically and they win...whereas guys like Rodgers and Schaub put up decent numbers and lose....the fact is Singletary is behind his QB....and he has shown to have the ability to make good throws, along with good decisions, as well as showing good leadership skills....you can say "he didnt win them this game" but you can also say "he hasnt really lost them any games either".....and as long as you arent losing games for your team...then all other problems are minor, and winning will eventually come along with fixing those minor issues....I think the 49ers are the most complete team in that division all around. And I still believe Alex Smith will mature into a QB1 at some point because of it....

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:36 am

I am going to keep my eye on this post, since one of us will be very wrong in a couple of years. Singletary seemed pretty committed to Hill early on in the season, but he pulled the plug on that pretty quick. And Hill only got the benefit of having Crabtree for one half of football.

Anyway, I will give you something to bold if you ever resurrect this thread. Two years from now, Alex Smith will be toting a clipboard somewhere as a backup, unless he signs on with the UFL. :lol:

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:21 am

There is a trend in the NFL this year of coaches yanking QBs in and out, all over the place. It's absurd. Vince, your argument about winning makes sense, except that Hill was 3-2 to start this season. He struggled for a half and all of a sudden hes pulled? It makes no sense. Lets look at Smith:

2005: 7 starts, 2-5
2006: 16 starts, 7-9
2007: 7 starts (1 he only threw 1 pass so we wont count it) 2-4
2008: No Stats
2009: 3 Starts, 1-2 with 1 game he played well in a relief effort but didnt pull out the win.

So thats a career 10-20 record

And then there's Hill
2007: 2 starts, 2-0 (plus a relief effor the plays well and doesnt bring them back to victory)
2008: 8 starts, 5-3 (plus another relief effort like the one above)
2009: 6 starts, 3-3 (didnt get a chance to come back in the third loss as he got pulled)

A career 10-6 record

Hill should not be on the bench. Alex Smith just hasn't shown hes a good QB in the W/L department or the stat department. Meanwhile Hill took over a struggling team last year, led them to a .500 finish, won the starting job in training camp and then went 3-2 and ghopt pulled half way through game 6. His stats in that first half:

6-11, 45yds, 0TD, 0INT, 2 Sacks

Struggled a little? Yea. Was he losing that game for them? Heck no. Maybe they should have made a defensive change or something. Meanwhile Smiht comes in in a game they are getting beat, the coaches say screw it, we need to try and come back, open up the offense and Smith puts up really strong numbers in the second half. THEY STILL LOSE!

In conclusion, Alex Smith is a bum. Viva Senior Hill!
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:45 am

BubbaBurst wrote:There is a trend in the NFL this year of coaches yanking QBs in and out, all over the place. It's absurd. Vince, your argument about winning makes sense, except that Hill was 3-2 to start this season. He struggled for a half and all of a sudden hes pulled? It makes no sense. Lets look at Smith:

2005: 7 starts, 2-5
2006: 16 starts, 7-9
2007: 7 starts (1 he only threw 1 pass so we wont count it) 2-4
2008: No Stats
2009: 3 Starts, 1-2 with 1 game he played well in a relief effort but didnt pull out the win.

So thats a career 10-20 record

And then there's Hill
2007: 2 starts, 2-0 (plus a relief effor the plays well and doesnt bring them back to victory)
2008: 8 starts, 5-3 (plus another relief effort like the one above)
2009: 6 starts, 3-3 (didnt get a chance to come back in the third loss as he got pulled)

A career 10-6 record

Hill should not be on the bench. Alex Smith just hasn't shown hes a good QB in the W/L department or the stat department. Meanwhile Hill took over a struggling team last year, led them to a .500 finish, won the starting job in training camp and then went 3-2 and ghopt pulled half way through game 6. His stats in that first half:

6-11, 45yds, 0TD, 0INT, 2 Sacks

Struggled a little? Yea. Was he losing that game for them? Heck no. Maybe they should have made a defensive change or something. Meanwhile Smiht comes in in a game they are getting beat, the coaches say screw it, we need to try and come back, open up the offense and Smith puts up really strong numbers in the second half. THEY STILL LOSE!

In conclusion, Alex Smith is a bum. Viva Senior Hill!
I have kind of went over this already....you know guys to make this fair....why dont we go back to how many times David Carr was sacked in his career and determine whether or not he was a good QB.....I guess thats fair too....right?

My point is...the 49ers didnt have ANY of the pieces to a TEAM that Smith does now....solid defense, good RB, great ALL AROUND TE...and 2 decent starting WR's....and despite all of that....Hill's numbers were lethargic this season. The difference between Alex Smith now, and before is the team around him, and his maturity.

Hills purpose was to not lose them games, but his problem was he could never really WIN them either (56% completion per. 180 pass yards per game)...hence why when they were down 21-0 Alex Smith was brought in. He makes them a more complete team because now regardless of what the score is they are in it (202 pass yards per game with a 67% completion per.)...it was a lateral move with upside on the 49ers end...and I like it....its kind of like seeing David Carr get another shot :lol:

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:14 am

I think there are too many solid QB prospects in next year's NFL draft for the 49ers to not take a chance on one of them in the 1st or 2nd round, meaning Smith and/or Hill becomes just a placeholder for the new guy. While I think Smith and Hill are OK as Game Managers, I don't think the Niners have seen enough from either one to say that they have a franchise QB right now. Right now, there aren't too many weak spots in the 49ers (Solid Defense, Running Game, Elite TE, Brand New franchise WR, I would think Quarterback becomes the focus for them in the draft next year.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 am

Shawn1204 wrote:I think there are too many solid QB prospects in next year's NFL draft for the 49ers to not take a chance on one of them in the 1st or 2nd round, meaning Smith and/or Hill becomes just a placeholder for the new guy. While I think Smith and Hill are OK as Game Managers, I don't think the Niners have seen enough from either one to say that they have a franchise QB right now. Right now, there aren't too many weak spots in the 49ers (Solid Defense, Running Game, Elite TE, Brand New franchise WR, I would think Quarterback becomes the focus for them in the draft next year.

3 QB's is a crowd....especially contractually....I think they can sit back and focus on O-Line, D-Line or CB. They are tryign to rebuild again for the 2nd time with Alex Smith...it wouldnt make sense for them to pay the money to start rebuilding AGAIN through another high quality QB....Smith has some years and some experience under his belt....not to mention he still is a former 1st overall pick....I personally just dont see it.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:52 am

princevincexoxo wrote:
Shawn1204 wrote:I think there are too many solid QB prospects in next year's NFL draft for the 49ers to not take a chance on one of them in the 1st or 2nd round, meaning Smith and/or Hill becomes just a placeholder for the new guy. While I think Smith and Hill are OK as Game Managers, I don't think the Niners have seen enough from either one to say that they have a franchise QB right now. Right now, there aren't too many weak spots in the 49ers (Solid Defense, Running Game, Elite TE, Brand New franchise WR, I would think Quarterback becomes the focus for them in the draft next year.

3 QB's is a crowd....especially contractually....I think they can sit back and focus on O-Line, D-Line or CB. They are tryign to rebuild again for the 2nd time with Alex Smith...it wouldnt make sense for them to pay the money to start rebuilding AGAIN through another high quality QB....Smith has some years and some experience under his belt....not to mention he still is a former 1st overall pick....I personally just dont see it.
A former first overall pick means nothing when it was done on another coaches watch and they have already restructured Smith's contract so his status is no longer what it was. I do believe they will ride it out with Smith the rest of the year but next year is fair game and you can count on the fact the Singletary will do whatever he thinks is best for the team. If that means drafting a QB, they will do it. If that means looking into the FA/trade market, they will do that. I don't think addressing a position in the draft automatically equals rebuilding. Personally I don't think they would do it in the first round unless someone really started to fall though.

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Let's don't forget Nate Davis. He beat out Damon Huard, not much of an accomplishment, but it shows that the organization is willing to be patient with Davis' learning disability. He played well in the pre-season, engineering two winning drives, again, pre-season, but he seems capable. If I remember right he was ranked in the neighborhood as the draft's 4th best QB, so he has the physical tools and if Smith works out for the next season, Smith might be the bridge until the 49ers find out what they have in Davis.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:44 pm

highballers wrote:Let's don't forget Nate Davis. He beat out Damon Huard, not much of an accomplishment, but it shows that the organization is willing to be patient with Davis' learning disability. He played well in the pre-season, engineering two winning drives, again, pre-season, but he seems capable. If I remember right he was ranked in the neighborhood as the draft's 4th best QB, so he has the physical tools and if Smith works out for the next season, Smith might be the bridge until the 49ers find out what they have in Davis.
^that

And BubbaBurst summed it up really well.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 am

resurrecting this thread to point out that I was wrong about A. Smith.

I will go as far to say that I was wrong about him finding the bench this year in place of Nate Davis.

I will not go as far to say that I am wrong about him. I still do not see him as a long term solution for them.

In short, I still don't like Alex Smith but I am willing to admit that I was off the mark on how this year would play out.