Niner's QB prediction/hope

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Niner's QB prediction/hope

Postby Orca » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:12 am

Going to throw out a hypothetical situation, tell me what you think.

They throw Alex Smith back out there. Honestly, I don't think he is the answer and I think after three or four weeks that will become painfully evident, once again. At that point, they may or may not be out of the playoff picture, I am guessing it will be close. It wouldn't make much sense to go back to Shaun Hill at that point, they know what he has. I think they turn to Nate Davis to finish out the balance of the season.

With Nate Davis sitting on my Taxi Squad, I know I will be hoping it plays out this way.

Entropy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Entropy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:17 am

I guess I am alone on this, but I am semi-optimistic for smith this time around. He certainly looked better last week in relief than he ever had before. There was talk about him pushing Hill for the starter job earlier this offseason, and as a former spread QB in college, Smith has now spent enough time in a real offense that maybe he's adapted. Brees needed extra time to adapt to the NFL at least partly due to this.

I'm not saying he's going to suddenly justify his draft position or anything, but with a quality supporting cast like he has, I kind of like his chances at maybe being a nice late bloomer.
--Entropy ===GO SKINS===
10-team .25PPR league 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1W/T, 1W/R, 1K, 1DEF, 11 BN, 1 IR
QB: Rodgers(Gb), Ryan(Atl)
RB: Martin(Tb), Lynch(Sea), Spiller(Buf), Miller (Mia), Ingram(NO), Hyde (SF)
WR: Cobb(Gb), Crabtree(Sf), Bowe (Kc), Hartline(Mia), Shorts(Jac), Gordon(Cle), Jeffery(Chi), Hunter(Ten), Quick(StL)
TE: Eifert(Cin), Kelce(KC), Fleener(Ind), Amaro(NyJ)
K: varies
DEF: Arizona

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:26 am

I didn't watch much of last week's game, but the story and stats were impressive. He's always had good physical tools and maybe now the mental game has caught up. Many QBs take awhile to become starters (see: Cassel, etc.). I think he could be the answer and certainly the franchise worked hard to keep him there and he did, too, by restructuring his rookie deal last off-season. He is less of a game-manager than Hill is and his chemistry working w/ Crabtree has been talked about and makes sense. I see Smith staying the starter and (hopefully) taking the 49ers out of the running for a QB next draft in which they hold two first round picks.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Nate Davis beating out Smith (or Hill) here in his rookie season.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 am

Entropy wrote:I guess I am alone on this, but I am semi-optimistic for smith this time around. He certainly looked better last week in relief than he ever had before. There was talk about him pushing Hill for the starter job earlier this offseason, and as a former spread QB in college, Smith has now spent enough time in a real offense that maybe he's adapted. Brees needed extra time to adapt to the NFL at least partly due to this.

I'm not saying he's going to suddenly justify his draft position or anything, but with a quality supporting cast like he has, I kind of like his chances at maybe being a nice late bloomer.
It is a pretty good situation, made better by the addition of Crabtree. Also, as a Niner's qb it isn't like he is asked to carry the team on his back, they will remain a run first team. But with the exception of the second half on Sunday, he really hasn't shown a whole lot on game day.

(But A. Smith isn't on my roster, so uh yeah :lol: )

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Be careful about being optimistic about Alex Smith. I'm not saying he's a deadbeat, but how many times has a backup QB come in and done well? Houston didn't prepare for Smith and they got burned by the same play 3 times while playing near prevent defense.

I agree that Nate Davis should get some snaps once the niners are eliminated though. Why not? See what he's got..
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:Be careful about being optimistic about Alex Smith. I'm not saying he's a deadbeat, but how many times has a backup QB come in and done well? Houston didn't prepare for Smith and they got burned by the same play 3 times while playing near prevent defense.

I agree that Nate Davis should get some snaps once the niners are eliminated though. Why not? See what he's got..
No playoffs for the Niners???? They aren't done quite yet.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:54 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:Be careful about being optimistic about Alex Smith. I'm not saying he's a deadbeat, but how many times has a backup QB come in and done well? Houston didn't prepare for Smith and they got burned by the same play 3 times while playing near prevent defense.

Sorry... jumped the gun there. Feel free to resurrect this thread two months from now. :wink:

Just a hunch.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:
bigcsr67 wrote:

Sorry... jumped the gun there. Feel free to resurrect this thread two months from now. :wink:

Just a hunch.
I am pulling for them and I think they have a bright future with their talent and Singletary, but I think they are a year away from playoffs.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Orca wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:
bigcsr67 wrote: No playoffs for the Niners???? They aren't done quite yet.

Just a hunch.
I am pulling for them and I think they have a bright future with their talent and Singletary, but I think they are a year away from playoffs.
I'm with you on that 100%. Singletary inherited a pretty good defense, and has a few weapons on offense. Namely Gore, Crabtree and Vernon Davis. I still have hope for Josh Morgan too. But if that entire team buys into what Singletary is saying, perhaps evidenced by Vernon's game last week vs being benched last year... the Niners will compete for a long time.

Trust me, I like the underdogs. There are 4 or 5 teams that I cheer for after the Bills... and all of them are small market teams.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:03 pm

I think what has transpired in San Fran is what was planned all along. Everyone knows that Shaun Hill is not the answer to leading a playoff team, while Smith has always had that potential, just not the success. Still, rather than just throw Smith into the fray from the beginning was not the answer, but rather ease him in part way into the season.

I was surprised that Smith wasn't able to beat out Hill in the preseason, but Singletary's plan all along could have been to bring Smith in during the season - thus his adamant stance that Smith will be the QB for the duration.

-oo-

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Entropy wrote:I guess I am alone on this, but I am semi-optimistic for smith this time around. He certainly looked better last week in relief than he ever had before. There was talk about him pushing Hill for the starter job earlier this offseason, and as a former spread QB in college, Smith has now spent enough time in a real offense that maybe he's adapted. Brees needed extra time to adapt to the NFL at least partly due to this.

I see Alex Smith being the man from here on out and being a viable QB2 with QB1 potential

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:41 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:

I see Alex Smith being the man from here on out and being a viable QB2 with QB1 potential
That's a pretty strong prediction Vince. I think the "viable QB2" is more accurate.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:53 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:

Even if Smith performs well, I am not sure the niner's offense can generate a QB1

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Orca wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:

Even if Smith performs well, I am not sure the niner's offense can generate a QB1

Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Bruce, and Gore....its possible....remember the Falcons?

His situation definitely has QB1 POTENTIAL. Not to say it will be fulfilled...but the possibility is there.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:45 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
Orca wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:

Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Bruce, and Gore....its possible....remember the Falcons?

His situation definitely has QB1 POTENTIAL. Not to say it will be fulfilled...but the possibility is there.
That may be true, but every NFL team and QB has QB1 POTENTIAL (and why are we yelling again?). Unfortunately for Gore, Smith, and the rest, their offensive line is one of the league's worst and that will hold back the numbers from reaching that POTENTIAL until that changes. :)

Oh, and way to completely reverse field and jump square onto the top of that fence, Vince, after Mark corrected you. lol. :roll: :oops:

There is a reason Coffee averaged 2.5 yards per carry while Gore was out besides the fact Coffee sucks. There is also a reason Davis leads the team in receiving...The line cannot block well enough to consistently throw downfield to WRs. Well, that and Shaun Hill's noodle-arm. Maybe we see that change, but the line is still a huge weakness for that team.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars