Duke Johnson's worth now

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Duke Johnson

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:17 pm

If you look at the list of RB's who have >100 catches and >500 rush yards their first 2 seasons combined since 2000, it's a helluva list.

LT, Domanick Williams, Rice, Shady, Duke, David Johnson, Freeman, Forte, Bush and Bell.

The only issue there is that Duke has the worst rush numbers by far. Only 169 carries, as opposed to Bush who's 9th on the list with 312. http://pfref.com/tiny/xGNZQ

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Every week Hue comes out and says "We need to get Crowell more carries" or "We need to build around the run game." Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. Since Cleveland consistently gets punched in face, the usage of Duke and Crowell is 100% gameflow.

The other side is that, Duke is a really good receiver out the backfield. He's actually playing 3% less snaps this season, but still on pace to match his receptions of last season (61). I think you could make the case that Cleveland should use him more when they're trailing, since their line is awful at pass blocking. You could make the case that he's underused in the passing game.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:23 pm

You could also make the case that if you dressed him like Vegas Elvis and launched flares from his helmet, RG III still wouldn't see him open in the flat. I like both backs and think that in the unlikely event that Cleveland starts to run a joined up offense and adds some talent that they could both be useful. As a Browns fan it is the first that worries me more than the second in that I knew there was a talent shortfall - to say the least - but I didn't expect Hue's O to be such an incoherent mess.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:18 pm

conspiracy theory: maybe Hue & Browns brass knew before the season start, they'd suck royally. therefore, develop your longer term RB (i.e. Duke) on lighter volume, thereby preserving him for when the rest of the team comes together, and let the other guy (Crow) run his guts out & take all the pounding & abuse for few years. It could be?

Then again, Hue always tried to keep Gio's load light too. Seemingly every time he started to raise it up, Gio would get injured. I remember that monster hit last year (Ravens I think?) that sidelined him for a while. Whether it's true or not, it seems like Hue thinks his pass-catching backs can't hold up to a large early down load. So it becomes self-fulfilling prophecy. Either that or he just likes having a clear separation of roles - an early down thumper & a lightly-used COP back. Hope this isn't Duke's situation, but very well could be. Next year should reveal which case it is!

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 am

If you don't think Crowell is a good RB you're not watching Browns play football and you're box score scouting. Can't blame you for not watching the Browns though.

Crwdstunna
Captain
Captain

Postby Crwdstunna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:38 pm

I think that with more of an opportunity, Duke would be a much more impactful player.
10 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex) 2018 Champ
QB: B Mayfield- D Brees- M Mariota RB: A Kamara- M Ingram- Du Johnson- C Hyde- M Lynch- A Peterson- G Edwards- L Murray- C Warren WR: A Brown- D Hopkins- T Boyd- A Jeffery- S Shepard- N Agholor- D Moncrief- L Fitzgerald- M Goodwin TE: OJ Howard- D Goedert
16 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE)
QB: B Roethlisberger- C Keenum RB: Da Johnson- P Lindsay- J White- F Gore WR: A Thielen- C Kupp- K Golladay- C Sutton- A Miller- Tr Smith TE: OJ Howard- D Goerdert- C Herndon- A Hooper

12 Team PPR Dynasty League (2QB 2RB 2WR 2TE 3FLEX)
QB: C Newton- M Mariota- M Trubisky RB: S Barkley- J Mixon- C McCaffrey- N Hines- C Clement- C Carson WR: S Watkins- J Landry- S Diggs- C Godwin- M Williams- M Lee- K Golladay TE: R Gronkowski- D Njoku- G Kittle- E Ebron

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Al Saunders says Duke Johnson in the mold of Marshall Faulk

Postby Plank » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:55 am

Reviewing some of the Preseason games today and came across a couple of articles about former STL Rams Coach comparing Duke to the mold of Marshall Faulk, saying guys like this are like a Queen on the Chessboard ...

article:
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... _of_a.html
@PlankMelody

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Al Saunders says Duke Johnson in the mold of Marshall Faulk

Postby maxhyde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 am

ummm yeah...
maybe he meant Kevin Faulk?
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:59 pm

I also saw Sean Payton say Kamara ran routes like Marshall Faulk too, blah.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 pm

And Colonel Sanders says he has the worlds best fried chicken. Hyperbole can be a hell of a thing.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Ezekial Elliot said he wants to be more like Marshall Faulk in 2017!
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Unless Trump Tweets it, its fake news.
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:16 pm

I think a much better -- and obviously more realistic -- comparison for Duke is Brian Westbrook. I love every inch of Duke's pro tape these last two seasons, he really jumps off of it, but... Faulk was otherworldly, needless to say. Duke may be broadly in that 'mold', but it's like a mold casting silver vs gold.

Anyway. Obviously just coach-speak, talking up the young man he's been coaching and training this offseason.

Hyperbole aside, the useful takeaway here is that we do need to start considering as plausible the possibility that Hue and Saunders are considering making Duke a true 'Darren Sproles on the Saints' type weapon that could push for 70-80 receptions to go with his 100 or so carries. There does seem to be targets between the hashmarks up for grabs in this year's Cleveland offense, particularly if Corey Coleman lets us down.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Duke is a very talented receiving back. If they're going to play him in the slot to keep him on the field longer, he could definitely push for 70+ receptions.

My thing is that even despite Duke producing as a receiver, he always seems to be hurt by gameflow.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Yah. That's coaching error, though. Just gotta hope that'll change.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE