The Official Brock Purdy Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
81-
Captain
Captain

Re: PSA: Purdy has now overtaken Lance on KTC

Postby 81- » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:13 pm

Ryan Leaf could have used a fewer number of starts

JaMarcus Russell also comes to mind. But he got 25 bad starts before he was out of the league. But raider games only count for 0.5, so he only had 12.5 starts

Andre ware makes the cut on starts at 6, but fell to 7th in the draft.

Akili Smith almost makes the cut, but he got 17 starts
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:11 am

MFundercover wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:21 pm 4. Can you name any top 5 QBs selected that never started more than 15 games? It would be unprecedented for him to not play. (Whether its san fran or elsewhere)
Now can we look at top 5 QBs who didn’t start all or most of those 15 games in their first two seasons already? He’s already in an unprecedented situation.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:16 am

frerichs5 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:11 am
MFundercover wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:21 pm 4. Can you name any top 5 QBs selected that never started more than 15 games? It would be unprecedented for him to not play. (Whether its san fran or elsewhere)
Now can we look at top 5 QBs who didn’t start all or most of those 15 games in their first two seasons already? He’s already in an unprecedented situation.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at. A raw QB who hasn't started many games (college or professional) in the last three years and potentially gets traded to a new team down the line, is definitely unique....in a bad way.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:33 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:16 am
Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at. A raw QB who hasn't started many games (college or professional) in the last three years and potentially gets traded to a new team down the line, is definitely unique....in a bad way.
I think Lance's career arc really got shot by the injury combined with Purdy. He was a project that needed reps, and he really needed to start the full year last year, and come in as the unquestioned starter this year after a year of experience. He's played almost no real football since High School. Were' talking 5 years of practice, with hardly any game action. I just don't see a likely path to being a long term NFL starter at this point, with the situation he now has. It's possible, it's just far, far less likely than it was when he was drafted. Things couldn't have gone much worse for him.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:03 am

MFundercover wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:47 pm
lic217 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:42 pm They have been dying for lance to be the guy. He isn’t. Time to move on
Okay cool?

So he goes somewhere else and starts. Name one top 3 pick that hasnt started more than 15 games?

I dont have much stake in Trey Lance. I got him for pennies. I dont care. It's just that what's being said is dead wrong here...

1. San Fran has not officially named a starter, even if all signs point to Purdy starting.

2. Every top 3 QB has been given at least 1 season as a starter

3. QBs who have failed on one team and then others were not benched do to injury and replaced by Mr Irrelevant

4. Zach Wilson actually played whereas Trey Lance has not.
Good points. He will get a shot to start somewhere at some point. They traded three first round picks because they wanted him to replace Jimmy who is awful. I’m guessing they wanted him to be the guy his rookie year. However, he was never ready. Obviously last year he got injured before we got a chance to really see what he could do but based on the limited action obviously wasn’t the best. However, hard to blame him for that Chicago game in the rain. That was crazy. I think right now it’s Brock’s job to lose. I think they would’ve liked to of traded Trey Lance but my guess is no one wanted to give them anything of value. There’s one thing, 49er fans, and 49er personal know is you need more than one quarterback.

The guy played one season of college football and that was three years ago. Hard to overcome that. And it wasn’t like he was playing in the SEC. He has almost no experience playing NFL caliber or high-level college caliber defenses.

I have been saying it since Brock Purdy took over the job three or four weeks into him starting. He is now the 49ers starting quarterback. Obviously being a 49ers fan I watched a lot of his play. He made some throws that no other quarterback on the 49ers have made the last few years.

I think the other thing is a lot of the players are on record, saying it is Brock job. They love him. Would be hard for Shanahan the bench him for Lance with everybody on the team wanting him to be the guy.

With all that being said, I would not bet my life on Brock being the starter. I’ve seen some really crazy things over the years watching sports. Like trading three first round picks for A player that did almost nothing, and was extremely raw coming out of college.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:15 am

So if you agree he will get a shot to start with another team that is not a bad thing. He doesn't have to be a great NFL quarterback to be a great fantasy quarterback. He just has to be better than the Ryan Tannehill's to be a starter. The bar is set low and I'd say it's very obtainable for him.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:37 am

MFundercover wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:15 am

So if you agree he will get a shot to start with another team that is not a bad thing. He doesn't have to be a great NFL quarterback to be a great fantasy quarterback. He just has to be better than the Ryan Tannehill's to be a starter. The bar is set low and I'd say it's very obtainable for him.
True, but there does come a time where you do have to be a good NFL QB to continue to hold the job. Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston for example aren't starters, but both have posted QB1 seasons.

The thing is that we don't even know if Lance is a Ryan Tannehill-level QB. It just goes back to the fact that he doesn't have a whole lot of recent or overall experience playing QB and only started 19 games in college, which is the equivalent to a season and a half's time.

If you're raw and can't get on the field, you are being set back significantly.

Lance's upside is betting on a lot of unprecedented things not mattering in the long run.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:30 am

That's kind of my point about the situation being unprecedented. We've never seen anything like this before so any historical comparisons are irrelevant. Simply put, if he's good enough he will get a chance somewhere. That bar is so low I believe he will.

The best negative talking point with Lance is the fact that he's missed so much time. I agree that if and when he does get on the field that missed time has to hurt him.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:51 am

MFundercover wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:30 am That's kind of my point about the situation being unprecedented. We've never seen anything like this before so any historical comparisons are irrelevant. Simply put, if he's good enough he will get a chance somewhere. That bar is so low I believe he will.

The best negative talking point with Lance is the fact that he's missed so much time. I agree that if and when he does get on the field that missed time has to hurt him.
Holy moly. He can’t even overtake Mr. Irrelevant. Isn’t that bar low enough?

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:10 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:51 am
MFundercover wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:30 am That's kind of my point about the situation being unprecedented. We've never seen anything like this before so any historical comparisons are irrelevant. Simply put, if he's good enough he will get a chance somewhere. That bar is so low I believe he will.

Holy moly. He can’t even overtake Mr. Irrelevant. Isn’t that bar low enough?
Didn’t you hear?! Lance took 1st rep yesterday!! MVP! MVP!

Oh…that was per the schedule of Brock’s day off?

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:31 pm

Lumps wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:10 pm I’m getting real tired of people (generally in regular life, but seems it’s bled here too) thinking they get to insert their own reality if they don’t like actual reality. Weak minded nonsense and the BS needs to stop.
I couldn't disagree more. People should be questioning everything, instead of blindly obeying whatever the media chooses to feed us.

Seriously the worst comment I've ever read on DLF. If you don't know how to read in between the lines you won't make it very far in life. People act out of self interest. Beat writers and "journalists" in particular have little to no interest in the truth. Their goal is to generate as many clicks as possible, even if that means deliberately misquoting and twisting words.

Grow up and stop taking everything you read on the internet at face value. Just because The Athletic posted it doesn't make it reality. Purdy was not officially named the starter yet, period. That's important because while, yeah, he's clearly the leader, he doesn't have a tight enough grip on the position yet where the team can name a definitive starter in July.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:56 pm

MFundercover wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:31 pm
Lumps wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:10 pm I’m getting real tired of people (generally in regular life, but seems it’s bled here too) thinking they get to insert their own reality if they don’t like actual reality. Weak minded nonsense and the BS needs to stop.
I couldn't disagree more. People should be questioning everything, instead of blindly obeying whatever the media chooses to feed us.

Seriously the worst comment I've ever read on DLF. If you don't know how to read in between the lines you won't make it very far in life. People act out of self interest. Beat writers and "journalists" in particular have little to no interest in the truth. Their goal is to generate as many clicks as possible, even if that means deliberately misquoting and twisting words.

Grow up and stop taking everything you read on the internet at face value. Just because The Athletic posted it doesn't make it reality. Purdy was not officially named the starter yet, period. That's important because while, yeah, he's clearly the leader, he doesn't have a tight enough grip on the position yet where the team can name a definitive starter in July.
Don’t know why you’re going back to quote that again, but you sure took it personally.

Also, fake news. Am I doing this correctly?

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:08 pm

Because your previous comment was too stupid to respond to, and obviously a continuation of that comment.

You're also the type of person to make a personal attack, then take the high road when somebody responds with a personal attack. I would at least respect it if you stuck with it. This holier than though act is a day late and a dollar short.

Soft

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:22 pm

MFundercover wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:08 pm Because your previous comment was too stupid to respond to, and obviously a continuation of that comment.

You're also the type of person to make a personal attack, then take the high road when somebody responds with a personal attack. I would at least respect it if you stuck with it. This holier than though act is a day late and a dollar short.

Soft
Fake news. :lol:

You are gonna need to put your foil hat on in case the media tracks your thoughts on this one. But here is Brock's presser after practice today, where a reporter asking him about being .... dun dun dunnnnnnnnn "QB1." :lol:

https://youtu.be/a0rKrreC-Lc?t=448

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:12 pm

Seems they were all out there today. Lance being less aggressive downfield, supposedly, after an early mistake. Not sure if it was in 11 on 11. Both Purdy and Lance were downright bad today, based on numbers. 3/10 with an INT and 2/5 with an "dropped" INT. Darnold supposedly looked the best. From what I can gather, Purdy's were against the 1's, not the others. Darnold and Lance both had 5 attempts vs the 2's. Allen worked with the 3's.

https://twitter.com/RohanChakrav/status ... 6059314179

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/sta ... 7940215808

https://twitter.com/RohanChakrav/status ... 1443394560

https://twitter.com/RohanChakrav/status ... 9683574788
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".