3) Keep allowing him the full 12 hours per pick
80%

Total votes: 106

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: START-UP guy has gone radio silent, how to handle

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:16 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:22 pm Curious if anyone will admit to being one of the 10 who voted to boot the guy acting within the rules.
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 am I just want the now 11 people who voted to boot to out themselves.

There are interview questions when applying for jobs and residences. Seems like this question/issue would be a good litmus test for prospective owners/leagues.
I'll admit to misreading the OP and DLF doesn't allow vote changes once I realized there was a time limit set and he was still getting his pick in
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Achane, Dobbins, Algier, trash
WR: Nabers, Tank Dell, Addison, Shaheed, Thomas Jr. McConkey, K Coleman, JSN, QJ, S Jameson Williams, Corley, Polk, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, Juwan, Musgrave, Theo Johnson
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2025 1,1,1,1,2,3,4,5
2026- 1,2,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2027

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 am

Any update? Did the owner continue to do this the entire draft or ??
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:11 am

Update:

1) It has become crystal clear that he took the entire clock on purpose
2) The pick right after he took another 8 hours
3) He was not a problem afterwards
4) He has not been on the GroupMe which is required by the league since this happened

100% obnoxious but crisis averted.
Team 1 (Sunday Collisions): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 27 Roster
**6 straight championships**
QB: Allen, Watson, Prescott, Purdy, Darnold, Ridder
RB: Taylor, Ekeler, Mixon, Cook, Mattison, Kelley, Blackshear
WR: Adams, Diggs, Devonta Smith, Diontae Johnson, Richie James, Van Jefferson, Landry, Duvernay
TE: Kelce, Ruckert
PK: Bass, Dicker
DEF: Ravens, Jets, Chiefs, Bucs
2023 Picks: 2.5

Team 2 (Shakeweight): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 25 Roster, 3 man rookie taxi

QB: Burrow, Cousins
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Gibson, Dillon, Patterson, Mason, Blackshear, Hilliard
WR: Tyreek, Juju, Diontae Johnson, Thielen, Bateman, Claypool, Landry, Corey Davis, Thornton
TE: Kelce, Hockenson, Engram
PK: Gano, Succop
DEF: Jets, Bucs
Taxi: Airton, Likely, Ferguson
2023 Picks: 1.3, 1.5, 1.10, 2,3, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

treble83
Starter
Starter

Postby treble83 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 am

jeaton6 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:11 am Update:

4) He has not been on the GroupMe which is required by the league since this happened

First off, he wasn't a problem to begin with. He was using his allotted time as he saw fit. Second, I don't think that I could join a league that "required" groupme chat. Don't get me wrong, my league uses it (a lot) but I won't allow it to be used for anything official (e.g. polls to change rules). By making it an unofficial place to chat with league mates, it removes the need for everyone to be active on a separate app. Oh and FWIW, If I were the owner getting pestered, I would have replied with ONE e-mail.. "Please allow me to use my time OTC as I see fit or refund my money and I will walk away."
Team One:
2QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, 2 FLEX, PK, DEF 10 Team
QB: J. Garoppolo, R. Tannehill, R. Wilson, T. Tagavaiola
RB: S. Barkley, T. Charbonnet, A. Ekeler, K. Gainwell, D. Henry, A. Kamara, J. Kelley, D. Montgomery, S. Perine
WR: G. Davis, I. Hodgins, D. Hopkins, C. Kupp, K. Raymond, A. St Brown, A. Thielen, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: M. Andrews, G. Everett, D. Knox, D. Schultz, D. Waller
TAXI:T. Chandler, E. Dotson, J. McLaughlin, D. Ridder

Team Two:
0-2QB, 8-10 FLEX 12 Team
QB: J. Fields, W. Levis, M. Stafford, T. Taylor
RB: T. Allgeier, S. Barkley, T. Bigsby, T. Etienne, Z. Evans, R. Mostert, I. Pacheco, M. Sanders
WR: B. Cooks, G. Davis, V. Jefferson, T. McLaurin, J. Meyers, D.J. Moore, D. Parker, B. Powell, J. Reynolds, L. Shenault, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: J. Smith, D. Waller

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:30 am

Is his name Dean Smith ? And was his first pick Phil Ford ??

Maybe it is a psychological tactic to crack the opponent a la Boris Spassky or Gary Kasparov. Don't let little Bobby Fischer get the best of you. His manipulation of the board is throwing you off your game.Next year make yours the first Speed Chess Fantasy Football draft. Have 50 drafts run simultaneously ... or throw away the crack pipe and relax :drool: :wall:

Troyte83
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Troyte83 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:28 am

This commish sounds like an overly critical micro manager, would not be apart of a league like that

bucsrule
Captain
Captain

Postby bucsrule » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 pm

I'm kind of late to this and, admittedly, didn't read every post, but I have to say you must respect someone's time on the clock and to use it as they see fit. Not to mention many things could have held him back from picking other than not being sure which guy to take. Maybe he had a couple guys in mind and then poof, they're taken. Now he has to do more research on the guys remaining he had no intention of drafting. Or maybe he got an emergency call or was needed for a friend in trouble (car not working, ride to work, bail out a bud). Could be his wife showed up and was nagging him nonstop about fantasy and he couldn't concentrate? Or perhaps she was frisky and hey....it's only fantasy football..plus he had tons of time on the clock. Perhaps he lost his internet connection and couldn't get back on? Or maybe that happened before he could do more research?

I was just in a baseball draft ready to pick in round 2 when, bam...internet went down. It has also happened to me in fantasy football in the past.

At the end of the day the guy was squarely within the bylaws of the league and committed no infraction. Not really sure why him not breaking the rules is a problem. You don't like the draft timetable? make it shorter next year for the rookie draft. As for now...too bad so sad. It would be extremely uncool to change the time now unless you had 100 percent agreement in the league.

RCS
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RCS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:23 pm

I don't get why they would "require" to have everyone in a league to use GroupMe. Like an above poster said my leagemates and I use it a lot, (some of them to much) but to make it a requirement is really stupid.

Jacob
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Jacob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:01 pm

bucsrule wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 pm I'm kind of late to this and, admittedly, didn't read every post, but I have to say you must respect someone's time on the clock and to use it as they see fit. Not to mention many things could have held him back from picking other than not being sure which guy to take. Maybe he had a couple guys in mind and then poof, they're taken. Now he has to do more research on the guys remaining he had no intention of drafting. Or maybe he got an emergency call or was needed for a friend in trouble (car not working, ride to work, bail out a bud). Could be his wife showed up and was nagging him nonstop about fantasy and he couldn't concentrate? Or perhaps she was frisky and hey....it's only fantasy football..plus he had tons of time on the clock. Perhaps he lost his internet connection and couldn't get back on? Or maybe that happened before he could do more research?

I was just in a baseball draft ready to pick in round 2 when, bam...internet went down. It has also happened to me in fantasy football in the past.

At the end of the day the guy was squarely within the bylaws of the league and committed no infraction. Not really sure why him not breaking the rules is a problem. You don't like the draft timetable? make it shorter next year for the rookie draft. As for now...too bad so sad. It would be extremely uncool to change the time now unless you had 100 percent agreement in the league.
I agree 100%, but you should get that internet checked.

Jacob
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Jacob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:02 pm

RCS wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:23 pm I don't get why they would "require" to have everyone in a league to use GroupMe. Like an above poster said my leagemates and I use it a lot, (some of them to much) but to make it a requirement is really stupid.
I have no idea what GroupMe even is.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:14 pm

Couple years ago, I was OTC in a rookie draft during a softball game I was coaching. One of my players slid into a base, caught a cleat, and ripped up her knee and ankle something awful. Was in enormous pain, somebody called an ambulance, ambulance was 10-15 minutes out, I carried her to my car and drove her to the hospital, got there in about 10 minutes. Got her in a room, set up for X ray and MRI, stayed at the hospital with her and her parents for about 4 hours, made sure she was okay.

Walked out of the hospital at about 1 AM, checked my phone and found over 20 email messages from some asshole in that league complaining that I was "ruining his fun" in the league because I had not picked for over 6 hours. Responded to him that "I just wrapped up an emergency situation, will look at my board when I get home", he responded, "I don't give a bleep about your personal life, just make a bleep pick".

Needless to say I am no longer in that league.

Be understanding, people, you really never know what is going on with someone.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:49 pm

What do you guys think of this?

A few years back, we had a drafter who was really annoying to trade with. Like he would want an arm & a leg just to move back 2 spots. But he would rope you into discussions while you were trying to enjoy your day. So no worries, everyone kind of independently decided not to negotiate with him. This was in round 2.

In round 3 of the draft, he totally got sniped right before his pick. So he said that his pick was on the clock & he wanted to move back. Nobody wanted to move up. He then said "I will not be picking here, and I'm prepared to take my full time unless someone trades into my pick". For the 12 hours, he popped in, popped out, etc.

The leaguemates (myself included) turned on him. Private messages along the line of "this guy is a real douchebag" were flying. And eventually, most of us posted in the group chat "I, xxxxxx xxxxxxxx, solemnly swear not to move up to the 3.9 draft pick". With 20 minutes left on his timer, I think he picked VJaxx and moved on, all huffy about it.

For the rest of his draft, any lags were criticized.

After that incident, I sometimes get annoyed when drafters are "scared to pick" and they'll stall the draft for hours & hours just hoping that someone wants to move the draft along so they'll overpay to move up just for that sake.

But maybe that's a legit strategy? I'm all for owners who take their time to negotiate trade-backs. Not only do they win, but that benefits the owner who's looking to move up. I don't like when owners refuse to pick, hoping to push the impatience button of other frothing drafters, when nobody wants to negotiate.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm

jordanzs wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:49 pm In round 3 of the draft, he totally got sniped right before his pick. So he said that his pick was on the clock & he wanted to move back. Nobody wanted to move up. He then said "I will not be picking here, and I'm prepared to take my full time unless someone trades into my pick". For the 12 hours, he popped in, popped out, etc.

The leaguemates (myself included) turned on him. Private messages along the line of "this guy is a real douchebag" were flying.
The strategy he was employing is very commonplace. Had an owner in one league that would do it every season usually early in the draft. You and your leaguemates were in the wrong here.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:18 pm

So he would stall the draft out of spite even after everyone said they won't trade up & he should just make the pick?

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 am

treble83 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 am
jeaton6 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:11 am Update:

First off, he wasn't a problem to begin with. He was using his allotted time as he saw fit. Second, I don't think that I could join a league that "required" groupme chat. Don't get me wrong, my league uses it (a lot) but I won't allow it to be used for anything official (e.g. polls to change rules). By making it an unofficial place to chat with league mates, it removes the need for everyone to be active on a separate app. Oh and FWIW, If I were the owner getting pestered, I would have replied with ONE e-mail.. "Please allow me to use my time OTC as I see fit or refund my money and I will walk away."
First off you aren’t in the league so you really don’t have enough information to make that statement. That is all.
Team 1 (Sunday Collisions): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 27 Roster
**6 straight championships**
QB: Allen, Watson, Prescott, Purdy, Darnold, Ridder
RB: Taylor, Ekeler, Mixon, Cook, Mattison, Kelley, Blackshear
WR: Adams, Diggs, Devonta Smith, Diontae Johnson, Richie James, Van Jefferson, Landry, Duvernay
TE: Kelce, Ruckert
PK: Bass, Dicker
DEF: Ravens, Jets, Chiefs, Bucs
2023 Picks: 2.5

Team 2 (Shakeweight): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 25 Roster, 3 man rookie taxi

QB: Burrow, Cousins
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Gibson, Dillon, Patterson, Mason, Blackshear, Hilliard
WR: Tyreek, Juju, Diontae Johnson, Thielen, Bateman, Claypool, Landry, Corey Davis, Thornton
TE: Kelce, Hockenson, Engram
PK: Gano, Succop
DEF: Jets, Bucs
Taxi: Airton, Likely, Ferguson
2023 Picks: 1.3, 1.5, 1.10, 2,3, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10