Matthew Stafford Thread - Year 13 Rejuvenated in LA?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Stafford

Postby Butt Liqueur » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:11 am

Stafford's stats over the last 2.5 seasons throwing to receiver's other than Calvin (could not find stats on INTs based on targets)

Total (per game avg in parentheses)
802/1286 COMP/ATT (20/32) 62.3%
49 TD (1.225)
8156 Yds (203.9)

Remember, this is without his #1 receiver and the best WR in the game
Last edited by Butt Liqueur on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 am

Ouch. Dont think he responds...
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Butt Liqueur » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:08 am

Butt Liqueur wrote:Stafford's stats over the last 2.5 seasons throwing to receiver's other than Calvin (could not find stats on INTs based on targets)

802/1286 COMP/ATT (20/32) 62.3%
49 TD (1.225)
8156 Yds (203.9)

Remember, this is without his #1 receiver and the best WR in the game
Just for some reference, here are Peyton Manning's final 5 seasons of actually playing in Indy minus Reggie Wayne's stats

1430/2130 COMP/ATT (18/27) 67.1%
110 TD (1.375)
15055 yds (188.2)

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 am

Oh I remember the days when WZA and myself went at each other this aggressively . Oh the good old days hahaha.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 pm

He didn't stand a chance against WZA with that weak argument he was making. The statistics you guys just threw down all but buried this debate. Game over.

Wentz / Goff
Ertz / Henry

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:36 pm

georg013 wrote:He didn't stand a chance against WZA with that weak argument he was making. The statistics you guys just threw down all but buried this debate. Game over.

You are amusing.....

Creed's Assassin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Creed's Assassin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Butt Liqueur wrote: Just for some reference, here are Peyton Manning's final 5 seasons of actually playing in Indy minus Reggie Wayne's stats

1430/2130 COMP/ATT (18/27) 67.1%
110 TD (1.375)
15055 yds (188.2)

Well we know Peyton is mostly a system QB. Take away Demaryius, Welker, Decker, and Julius. Then what can he do?

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:13 pm

I may require clarification on what the argument is. Is it that Stafford is only as good as Calvin makes him? If so, then yes, to an extent, but all QB's are either allowed to reach their max potential or cap their ceiling based on their wideouts. No matter how good the QB is he will be limited to the ability of his receivers to a certain extent. With that said, Stafford has shown that he is a very good QB and is still surprisingly young. Outside of Calvin his options are very limited, with two RBs who are solid in the pass game, a TE who has been very intermittent in his career, and a wide range of will in WRs (Burleson is solid but goes out of his way to find ways to get injured, Broyles is nothing but an injury in cleats, and Durham..come on). He is smart to feed Calvin, and even when it is thrown into double or triple coverage it may very well be the best play...lets be honest, they are thrown to where Calvin can make the play and it goes for a good play at least as often as it is a negative (INT). If he can make the plays, why not feed the beast? It is only a bad play in context (throwing to double/triple coverage), but I don't think the outcomes reflect it as a 'bad' play to date. If it wasn't Calvin he was throwing to they just wouldn't be thrown.

On the other side, Calvin may not have Calvin numbers with a number of other QBs. I agree he is a beast regardless, but we all know that a QB can severely limit any WR. Even if you focus only on the top 12 QBs, a statement of 'at least a dozen QBs could have done that' isn't necessarily accurate. It takes a perfect storm to go for that kind of yardage, and the fact of the matter is that these two have something tangible to show they did do it, not it COULD happen. Brady and Moss COULD have done it too. Mannings and Marvin COULD have done it. Heck, Dez and Romo COULD have done it. Throwing out a theoretical like that has nothing to support it. If you want to focus on just talking about other QBs you feel are superior then you can support it with various things, but pointing to a games output seems a little far fetched. Truthfully I would be interested if we could see Peyton in Detroit...I feel he wouldn't be doing what Stafford is doing. He just simply doesn't have the arm strength to do what Stafford does and put it where he does. He gets by with his smarts and mostly short and/or timing throws. You can't simply sub him in there and have the same results. That goes for lots of guys.

Either way, Stafford has impressed me this year and it was nice to see him pull out something at the end of a game like he did. Some guys just give you the confidence that you can make a comeback like that, and maybe one day Stafford is one of them. Time will tell.
Last edited by FiremanEd on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Three things impressing me about Stafford this year:

- Leading the league in lowest Sack percentage.

- 1.8 INT%.

- Doing both of these while leading the league in attempts.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:17 pm

DYNOmite wrote:Three things impressing me about Stafford this year:

- 1.8 INT%.

Don't forget that his average time of holding on to the ball is under 2.5 seconds (~2.3), which is on par with Manning. He is avoiding a lot of sacks by getting rid of the ball pretty darn quickly.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:
DYNOmite wrote:Three things impressing me about Stafford this year:

- 1.8 INT%.

Don't forget that his average time of holding on to the ball is under 2.5 seconds (~2.3), which is on par with Manning. He is avoiding a lot of sacks by getting rid of the ball pretty darn quickly.
Nice info! What's crazy to me is that he's basically in the same age bracket with Luck, Kap (who's actually a couple months older then Stafford), and Wilson. I think what gets lost is that he's been the guy since he was 20. Fastest EVER to 15,000 yards passing and he's not 26 yet! Assuming he keeps getting better what is his ceiling by the time he's 30ish? That's when QBs hit their prime right? Dudes a monster and if he stays healthy will own a few passing records.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Shout out to Broyles, the injury in cleats! Funny!

Wentz / Goff
Ertz / Henry

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:09 pm

(KFFL)The Detroit Lions have dropped 10.6 percent of QB Matthew Stafford's passes this season, according to STATS, LLC. That is the third-highest percentage in the league.

Ouch!

Wentz / Goff
Ertz / Henry

Seventy5
Legend
Legend

Postby Seventy5 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

georg013 wrote:(KFFL)The Detroit Lions have dropped 10.6 percent of QB Matthew Stafford's passes this season, according to STATS, LLC. That is the third-highest percentage in the league.

Ouch!
As a Stafford owner in nearly every league, that's something Iv noticed happening the last two years while watching their games. Lots of them seem to come at the worst possible times as well (would have converted a 3rd down after gaining some momentum, wide open in the endzone or behind the safeties). This offense is putting up a ton of points, but they seem to be leaving more on the field than most teams I watch (or maybe its just me making a mental note of them because I'm invested in them for fantasy purposes)
DLF HOF League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Deshaun Watson | Stafford | Purdy | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley |DeVon Achane | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Joe Mixon / Chase Brown | Tucker
WR: Tyreek Hill | Rashee Rice | Tank Dell
WR: Stefon Diggs | DeVonta Smith | MWilliams | Claypool | C Austin
TE: Higbee | Likely | Chig Okonkwo | Strange
2023: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

DLF Premium League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Joe Burrow | Mayfield | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley | Tank Bigsby | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Aaron Jones | JK Dobbins | Sean Tucker
WR: Ja'Marr Chase | Christian Watson | Hyatt | Shenault
WR: Keenan Allen | Marquise Brown | Calvin Ridley | Addison | Claypool | C Jones | Shakir
TE: Sam LaPorta | Strange | Jonnu
2023: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Seventy5 wrote:
georg013 wrote:(KFFL)The Detroit Lions have dropped 10.6 percent of QB Matthew Stafford's passes this season, according to STATS, LLC. That is the third-highest percentage in the league.

Ouch!
As a Stafford owner in nearly every league, that's something Iv noticed happening the last two years while watching their games. Lots of them seem to come at the worst possible times as well (would have converted a 3rd down after gaining some momentum, wide open in the endzone or behind the safeties). This offense is putting up a ton of points, but they seem to be leaving more on the field than most teams I watch (or maybe its just me making a mental note of them because I'm invested in them for fantasy purposes)
I've noticed this as well. Amazing to think what the production would be if even half of those left-on-the-field points were realized. :whistle: