Mike Davis - Starting in Atlanta?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Re: Mike Davis

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon May 25, 2015 6:09 am

A lot of the "film guys" put Davis in their top six rookies at the position. The big red flag is motivation - here's hoping the "wanting to look after your mom" thing drives him.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Franky Four Fingers
Starter
Starter

Mike Davis Anybody?

Postby Franky Four Fingers » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Anybody else curious to see what kind of role Davis plays with Hyde out of the way temporarily? Bush and Hayne are older players not signed long term. You would think the 49s would want to get an extended look at the rookie. I very much doubt it but there is always a chance he Wally Pipps the injured Hyde. Most people thought Coleman had the job in Atlanta until he missed time and Freeman just grabbed the job and never looked back. Didn't do much research on Davis coming out of the draft but I'm curious what people thought. Just scooped him up in a couple leagues off the wire and intrigued to see how things play out. What say the forum?

Spots
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Mike Davis Anybody?

Postby Spots » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:26 pm

This is straight from the ROOKIE SCOUTING PROFILE by Matt Waldman. Pre draft notes

Mike Davis, South Carolina (5-9, 217) As Lance Zierlein of NFL.com points out, there are two Mike Davises from South Carolina: The 2013 version is a punishing, versatile player with quickness and a wiggle. The 2014 version is a plodder by comparison. I’ll add my own twist to it: Mike Davis is the running back equivalent of Stitch from the Disney film Lilo & Stitch. If an NFL team gets Experiment 2013, they’ll be looking for another back next spring. If a team gets Experiment 2014, opponents will experience a couple of extra days of soreness after Stitch runs roughshod. Short, but not small, Davis is a hard-charging runner with burst that’s in the same tier of big-play threats like Gordon, Jay Ajayi, and Trey Williams. He has the feet and vision to dip around penetration and earn positive yards. Davis runs with a wiggle. Some may misnterpret its meaning as tentative or dancing too much when a wiggle is actually upper body movement that ducks and feints a lot like a boxer, but the feet and hips remain in control. A wiggle is a positive and it makes Davis a slippery player. When it’s time to lower the boom, he can attack defenders with low pad level and leg drive and spin or dip at top speed. He’s adept at picking and sliding through traffic and bouncing off glancing blows to exploit creases and earn yards that weren’t there. Davis displays some patience with zone blocking. He often sees a level ahead of the defense and he’ll make cutback decisions based on these factors. The 2013 version of Davis displayed enough burst to reach the corner and get down hill on perimeter runs and sustain separation in the open field. Fortunately, this version of Davis showed up at the Combine and ran a 4.18-second 20-yard shuttle and a 7flat three-cone drill. If he stays in shape, expect good work from the rookie in camp. Some beat reporters may even write that he has been a revelation. One of these reasons will be his work in the passing game. Davis catches the ball with his hands and does a good job setting up the screen game. He catches the ball with his hands. He makes plays with his back to the quarterback, and also displays the hand-eye coordination to make difficult grabs with one hand away from his body. Whether it’s in the pile or the open field Davis has strong ball security that withstands rips. He’ll also carry the ball with the arm that is furthest from the most dangerous pursuit angle that he anticipates. Davis’ blocking form displays willingness, but needs refinement. He’s aggressive, powerful and willing to mix it up with a lowered shoulder or forearm, but he must learn to control his opponent with a punch, strong base, and smooth footwork. At this point his best work in the pocket on passing downs comes when he’s delivering cut blocks with good form across the body of the opponent. Even so, Davis’ cut blocks can be too low and he’ll often drop his head into the effort and telegraph his intentions. Although there is a marked difference between 2013 Davis and 2014 Davis, both versions require some amount of gearing down to make a lateral cut. In contrast to the Abdullahs, Johnsons, and Gordons of the class who are physical finesse runners, Davis is a nimble bruiser. As long as he’s in shape, Davis has the upside to develop into a good lead back or starter—and sooner than later. Mike Davis highlights (NSFW).

Spots
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Spots » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:27 pm

In our league, Haynne and Bush are rostered and the Hyde owner cut Sankey to pick this guy up.

Not sure if that helps

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:28 pm

He was a favorite of mine in college and I was hyping him up all through the lead up to the combine. Then he was very slow, and he went really late in the draft and to be behind Hyde, and his spark fizzled.

He had an NFL ready skill set in terms of pass protection and receiving, he's just a bit slow and has questionable drive for the game of football.

I too picked him up because I think he is a very complete back and I'd rather have him than Knile Davis on the end of my bench.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

Spots
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Spots » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Telperion wrote:He was a favorite of mine in college and I was hyping him up all through the lead up to the combine. Then he was very slow, and he went really late in the draft and to be behind Hyde, and his spark fizzled.

He had an NFL ready skill set in terms of pass protection and receiving, he's just a bit slow and has questionable drive for the game of football.

I too picked him up because I think he is a very complete back and I'd rather have him than Knile Davis on the end of my bench.
I drafted him in our rookie draft then cut him because of the fizzle you mentioned. Unimpressive in preseason with Haynne stealing all the headlines.

This is definitely a second chance for him to show something.

Franky Four Fingers
Starter
Starter

Postby Franky Four Fingers » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Spots wrote:
Telperion wrote:He was a favorite of mine in college and I was hyping him up all through the lead up to the combine. Then he was very slow, and he went really late in the draft and to be behind Hyde, and his spark fizzled.

I drafted him in our rookie draft then cut him because of the fizzle you mentioned. Unimpressive in call with Haynne stressing ask the headlines.

This is definitely a second chance for him to show something.
Those were my thoughts exactly. He was dropped in many leagues and he now may have a shot at redemption. Nice cheap lottery ticket.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:46 pm

If he had come out in 2014, he might have been the first RB drafted. I've always been intrigued by his upside. Toying with dropping Helu for him, but I can't decide.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Westy22
Captain
Captain

Postby Westy22 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Excited to see him get a go, but I don't see him having any more success than say Crowell had last week. Tough matchup with the Rams. Good lottery ticket, who has flashed complete back upside in College.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 pm

I'm a Hyde owner, drafter Davis but actually dropped for other roster needs. I don't see an NFL starter in his future. Serviceable back up, spot starter when the starter goes down. He will have his hands full vs the Rams. Kaepernick is a bum, and Davis will not do much against that front IMO. I was not going to start Hyde if he played, and I certainly would not have started Davis had I kept him.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:40 am

If he finished college like he started I'd be more excited. At this point I don't have any way to know which version shows up, but I can make a guess...which limits my optimism. If 'Old Mike' shows, I'd enjoy watching him...

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:50 am

I think he's OK. certainly worth a pickup though in case hyde is out for the year.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:37 am

I think Hayne Train might be better than Davis, if I'm being honest.

Perhaps Davis will get the opportunity to prove me wrong here soon, with Hyde's foot troubles. Or prove me right.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Franky Four Fingers
Starter
Starter

Postby Franky Four Fingers » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Well so much for Hayne. Released today by the 49rs. One more obstacle out of the way for Davis.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:25 pm

Gonna be a lot of butthurt rugby fans, judging from some 'discussion' I saw elsewhere on the net regarding Hayne in preseason.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE