Purdy vs Lance 2023

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Which scenario do you think is most likely?

Purdy holds the job and Lance is a backup
41%
Lance regains the starting role and Purdy is a backup
33%
Lance is traded and gets a shot elsewhere
26%

Total votes: 97

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Purdy vs Lance 2023

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:54 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:23 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:52 am
BabyChark23 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:57 am And they still have to extend Bosa and CMC. Seems unlikely they go after a vet.
CMC is under contract for another 3 years, they don't need to extend him at all. SF is #14 in cap space and Bosa is the only key player in need of a new deal, and obviously it will be a big one but they can still make a vet QB deal work on the cap if they want to go that route.
Don't need to extend CMC, MUST restructure that contract though.
No way the 49ers pay CMC $12 mil in 2023 after CMC made less than $0.7 mil in 2022.
Sure, but that's pretty standard operating procedure league wide with big veteran deals. They are in no danger of losing him unless they choose to part ways and have him under team control for basically the rest of his prime years.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 am

If this actually comes to pass, wow...

@MikeSilver
"On Thursday, I talked to two people with knowledge of the organization’s plans, and they confirmed what is already semi-obvious: The battle is over, and Purdy has won."
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:50 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 am If this actually comes to pass, wow...

@MikeSilver
"On Thursday, I talked to two people with knowledge of the organization’s plans, and they confirmed what is already semi-obvious: The battle is over, and Purdy has won."
If this is accurate, SF just used Silver to tell the other 31 teams that Lance is on the trade block.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:36 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:50 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 am If this actually comes to pass, wow...

@MikeSilver
If this is accurate, SF just used Silver to tell the other 31 teams that Lance is on the trade block.
Have to agree BB. I mean, why else put this out now before the draft? Likely for the exact reason you stated.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:43 pm

I’ll say it again as a diehard Niners fan since the 80s: I strongly believe Purdy starts next season and Lance is not traded.

This is the consensus opinion of most Niners fans I know who know how the org operates, and of the general orbit of beat writers, podcasters, former players who talk publicly about the team.

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Postby natjjohn » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:00 pm

Was seeing cap hit for Lance balloons to $20 million if traded. That means he won’t get traded

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:09 pm

natjjohn wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:00 pm Was seeing cap hit for Lance balloons to $20 million if traded. That means he won’t get traded
No it doesn't. It's a $20M dead cap hit if he's cut, it's much less he's traded and would not at all be financially damaging if they trade him.

Pre June 1 Cut
$20,153,107 Dead Cap
-$10,851,673 in Cap savings

Post June 1 Cut
$14,612,151 Dead Cap
-$5,310,717 Cap Savings

Pre June 1 Trade
$11,081,912 Dead Cap
-$1,780,478 Cap Savings

Post June 1 Trade
$5,540,956 Dead Cap
$3,760,478 Cap Savings

https://overthecap.com/player/trey-lance/9467

Several 1st round and top 10 picks have been cut or traded in recent years (Rosen, Darnold, CJ Henderson, Ruggs, Isaiah Wilson) and their teams came out fine financially.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:44 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:09 pm
natjjohn wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:00 pm Was seeing cap hit for Lance balloons to $20 million if traded. That means he won’t get traded
No it doesn't. It's a $20M dead cap hit if he's cut, it's much less he's traded and would not at all be financially damaging if they trade him.

Pre June 1 Cut
$20,153,107 Dead Cap

Post June 1 Cut
$14,612,151 Dead Cap
-$5,310,717 Cap Savings

Pre June 1 Trade
$11,081,912 Dead Cap
-$1,780,478 Cap Savings

Post June 1 Trade
$5,540,956 Dead Cap
$3,760,478 Cap Savings

Several 1st round and top 10 picks have been cut or traded in recent years (Rosen, Darnold, CJ Henderson, Ruggs, Isaiah Wilson) and their teams came out fine financially.
Well thought out post, and agreed that a trade is indeed a possibility. Though only one possibility. Granted, Lance could be retained. However, only focusing on the financial aspects of this dilemma ignores what would be coming back to the 49'ers if he were dealt. The return could make it worth moving on.

Not saying it's likely, but a team like Baltimore could let Lamar walk instead of paying him, and make a deal for Lance. I think he'd fit in with the scheme they run and come an awful lot cheaper.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:28 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:09 pm

Pre June 1 Cut
$20,153,107 Dead Cap

Post June 1 Cut
$14,612,151 Dead Cap
-$5,310,717 Cap Savings

Pre June 1 Trade
$11,081,912 Dead Cap
-$1,780,478 Cap Savings

Post June 1 Trade
$5,540,956 Dead Cap
$3,760,478 Cap Savings

Yep. Also, the Raiders cut Leatherwood, and the Bears picked him up on waivers, so they didn't have to eat the dead cap. He wasn't a top 10, but was top 20.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:33 am

Then I woke up to this at Footballguys.

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson is expected to have a great deal of input in the team's selection of a new offensive coordinator, according to head coach John Harbaugh.

Coach Speak, sure. But if accurate and the Ravens are serious about trying to keep Lamar in the building, that takes them out of the Lance sweepstakes. Assuming the 49'ers don't just keep him. Would have been a good destination though.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:50 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:33 am Then I woke up to this at Footballguys.

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson is expected to have a great deal of input in the team's selection of a new offensive coordinator, according to head coach John Harbaugh.

Coach Speak, sure. But if accurate and the Ravens are serious about trying to keep Lamar in the building, that takes them out of the Lance sweepstakes. Assuming the 49'ers don't just keep him. Would have been a good destination though.
I doubt this is true. Not if he doesn't have a deal in place. I still think Lamar is moved unless he comes down on his asking price. I don't think the Ravens owner will pay him a 5 year fully guaranteed deal.

Also, with Roman gone, I have my doubts they are going for a guy like Lance. They may take another direction at QB, but we shall see.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:35 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:50 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:33 am Then I woke up to this at Footballguys.

I doubt this is true. Not if he doesn't have a deal in place. I still think Lamar is moved unless he comes down on his asking price. I don't think the Ravens owner will pay him a 5 year fully guaranteed deal.

Also, with Roman gone, I have my doubts they are going for a guy like Lance. They may take another direction at QB, but we shall see.
Or do they (Ravens) just draft Richardson?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:32 pm

What is the quote on that, because I thought I saw or heard the quote, and it was harbaugh saying they will keep Lamar in the loop, and that they’ll listen to what he has to say. They never said he’d have any impact on the hiring process, it was more a keeping him in the loop from how I interpreted the quote. But maybe there’s another one I didn’t see

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:53 pm

I don’t have the close up view into the Ravens as I do the Niners, but I’d guess Lamar stays there. This contract stuff strikes me as just a lot of fodder for the Skip Baylesses and gas for the fans that watch the NFL as their own male version of a soap opera.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:05 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:32 pm

What is the quote on that, because I thought I saw or heard the quote, and it was harbaugh saying they will keep Lamar in the loop, and that they’ll listen to what he has to say. They never said he’d have any impact on the hiring process, it was more a keeping him in the loop from how I interpreted the quote. But maybe there’s another one I didn’t see
Just a Tweet including bits about a few other items.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
The
@NFLGameDay
Notebook with
@MikeGarafolo
and
@TomPelissero
: The future of DeAndre Hopkins should clear up soon; #Ravens QB Lamar Jackson will be as involved as he wants in the OC hire; Dan Quinn's coaching candidacy is picking up; #Packers QB Jordan Love just wants to play.