Zach Wilson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Zach Wilson

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm

Only the Jets. Remember when Sanchez picked up a 19 year old at the club?

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:09 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:58 am You know what they say: You can take Zach Wilson off the cougars, but you can't take Zach Wilson off the cougars.
😂😂😂

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:19 pm

JoeJoe88 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:09 pm
ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:58 am You know what they say: You can take Zach Wilson off the cougars, but you can't take Zach Wilson off the cougars.
😂😂😂
X2
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:34 pm

I think that Wilson still has a lot of potential, and I think the Jets are doing a great job of building around him.
Adding Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall to Elijah Moore, Michael Carter, Corey Davis, and the 2 TE's they brought in as free agency gives Zach a LOT to work with, as well as developing the offensive line.

I am in a 12 team SF startup now, and was very happy to get Zach Wilson as my QB3, the 21st QB off the board.
This will be a BIG season for Zach though, he NEEDS to take a solid step forward from 2021.
I do not expect him to breakout and be a star this season, but he MUST show significant progress.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:52 pm

mild wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:04 pm I've been on record as being on the Wilson train around here, and I'm still on it. Hoping to see a lot more out of him in his 2nd year, for sure.
So here we are.

A question for the forum: who would you rather own going forward?

Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Mac Jones

Asking for a friend! :thumbup:

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:14 pm

mild wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:52 pm
mild wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:04 pm I've been on record as being on the Wilson train around here, and I'm still on it. Hoping to see a lot more out of him in his 2nd year, for sure.
So here we are.

Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Mac Jones

Wilson
Lance
Fields
Jones

Jones may hang around the league a while, but his opportunity to be great left the building with McDaniels. This offensive coaching abomination that Belichick created makes no sense to me and is probably too much for Jones to overcome. Fields is probably worse, but those legs will keep him around and give him upside even as a mediocre QB. Lance also looks pretty bad, but he’s managed to stick in the same system so far and that seems unlikely to change. There is at least a shot that stability gives him the chance to ultimately figure it out. Wilson is the top guy for me given his supporting cast, continuity of system and the kid clearly has talent if he can get comfortable enough to up his processing speed. It’s troubling that he’s still struggling on this, but I’d hang on if I had him.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:35 pm

So here we are.

Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Mac Jones

This list reminds me of an old Monty Python sketch, where everything on the menu has spam in it.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:43 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:35 pm
So here we are.

Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Mac Jones

This list reminds me of an old Monty Python sketch, where everything on the menu has spam in it.
While I see what you mean in that all are flawed in their own ways Wilson hasn't really been much worse than Lawrence to date

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:45 pm

And yeah in case it wasn't obvious: I think Lance and especially Fields just suck (more certain declaring it in Fields' case)

Jones will start for a while and but never be a difference maker in fantasy

Wilson is somewhere in the middle on both categories and would be my choice to date. I'm far from convinced on his ability to be a franchise QB but if he does put it together he will be very very good and I'm not near certain he sucks yet which isn't a huge compliment but among this group it is. Next week against the Dolphins is an underrated game on the slate

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:56 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:43 pm

So here we are.

Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Mac Jones

While I see what you mean in that all are flawed in their own ways Wilson hasn't really been much worse than Lawrence to date
I mean, Lawrence this season (going to give a pass for some exchange issues with a new Center in the rain) has been much better than anything Wilson has shown. I think the arm talent is there for Wilson, just not sure about whether he can process the NFL game well enough. He needs more time, that's for sure, and they'll give it to him.
Janiel Dones Truther

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:09 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:56 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:43 pm

I mean, Lawrence this season (going to give a pass for some exchange issues with a new Center in the rain) has been much better than anything Wilson has shown. I think the arm talent is there for Wilson, just not sure about whether he can process the NFL game well enough. He needs more time, that's for sure, and they'll give it to him.
I agree Lawrence has been improved this year. But I'm not sure it's as much as most seem to. Better than this field yeah but from the eye test which some metrics seem to support (PFF grade, comp % over expected, air yards per attempt) a lot of his success is dinking and dunking--kind of like what Mac Jones was knocked for

I agree he has been the best but I want to give him some more games like he has this week playing from behind and see what he can do

On the other hand he does have a pretty bad skill position group still (no Christian Kirk is not suddenly some elite WR) so it's still impressive and fair to assume better days as a downfield passer are ahead

I would still rather have him than Wilson and the others but I'm not anointing him the next top dynasty QB yet and if you can add a bit and get Lamar Jackson I would still do it
Last edited by StripesOfKC on Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:11 pm

I think you guys all know where I stand on him by now. I'd still rather him than any of those other non-Lawrence 2021 QB's.

There were some notable moments in that Steelers game, though. From the "Zach 'the Mormon Milfhunter' Wilson" thread that is raging on reddit today - these comments/points stood out to me:
The good: +Seemed to be under pressure constantly, but only took 1 sack. Showed outstanding movement in the pocket. +Was absolutely nails in the 4th quarter. Doesn’t matter for fantasy points, but maybe matters for him having a long term starting job. +His downfield passing looked sharp.

The bad: -Was still incapable of throwing touch passes. -partly related: Doesn’t seem to set his feet when throwing to the flats. There was one particularly egregious miss to Hall on their second to last TD drive where he missed Hall by, like, 5 yards. I’m not a film junky, but it was bad. -The picks and completion percentage were both blah. He did apparently have like 6 dropped passes (how much of that is touch though?) including a bad one that led to his second INT, so maybe not quite as bad as it looked.
First game back playing that way with new LT and with 5th and 6th stringers on the line, plus these weapons - he might already be league average
Wilson did a really good job of living to see another down. I would say he avoided 4-6 sacks by scrambling and throwing the ball away instead of forcing it. Last season so many times you would see him move to avoid the sack but then force the ball somewhere only to see it get picked. Today, however, if he didn’t have anything he mostly played for the next down which was refreshing to see.

Between the throws out of bounds and the drops, the completion percentage looks way worse than how he played.

I will say some of the drops and one of the INTs off a deflection were inaccurate throws that made the catch really hard for the receiver to make.

He still had really nice accurate throws, and stepped up big in the 4th quarter. For his 14th career NFL game, finally having some weapons, with that OL? I think there are a lot of positive takeaways from today.
I'm a known Wilson hater but wanted to add he was also good on the money downs in the 4th quarter. He converted a 3rd and long and a 4th and long. The Jets ended up scoring TDs on both drives and the second was the go ahead.
Last one. A nice summary:
I thought he looked really solid for the most part. His poise is WAY better than last season, which is the biggest thing. He still made inexperienced QB mistakes (I believe one of his INTs was a throw into double coverage), but he made strides and looks like he's now able to read the field more calmly and get the ball out to his playmakers. Hopefully he cleans up his mechanics and the accuracy comes, because if it does, he has immense upside.
Zach Wilson: Signs of life edition!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:57 pm

Wilson would be my QB2 from that class by default i suppose at this point. The rest has just been a disaster. Thought Mac would be better but like FF said, it's a terrible mess over there.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:00 pm

He has all the tools. I think he would have benefitted immensely had he gone the Mahomes route and sat an entire year. I think it actually set back his development playing immediately on an awful team. Could probably say the same thing for Lawrence too.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:04 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:00 pm He has all the tools. I think he would have benefitted immensely had he gone the Mahomes route and sat an entire year. I think it actually set back his development playing immediately on an awful team. Could probably say the same thing for Lawrence too.
I agree on Wilson. He was more raw than billed in college

Lawrence probably had to play though. No one was going to sit a "generational talent" for your run of the mill backup. The coaching staff being Urban Meyer hurt him more IMO