The official "Where will Odell play next year?" thread. Post inside your guess.

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!

Will Odell be traded?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 62

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The official "Where will Odell play next year?" thread. Post inside your guess.

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:59 pm Odell is going to implode in LA. Seriously, if New York is trying to run you out of town...LA isn't going to be too kind either.
Who's trying to run him out of town. I'm not understanding. Apart from a bunch of articles and TV shows looking for ratings with no real proof of anything, where is this coming from. I don't really care if OBJ stays or goes, but who's trying to run him out of town? You make it seem like he has to go out on the streets in disguise in NY right now.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The official "Where will Odell play next year?" thread. Post inside your guess.

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:33 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:31 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:59 pm Odell is going to implode in LA. Seriously, if New York is trying to run you out of town...LA isn't going to be too kind either.
Who's trying to run him out of town. I'm not understanding. Apart from a bunch of articles and TV shows looking for ratings with no real proof of anything, where is this coming from. I don't really care if OBJ stays or goes, but who's trying to run him out of town? You make it seem like he has to go out on the streets in disguise in NY right now. Media has so much power on perception. I think all of this is getting blown way out of proportion. The guy is looking for an extension, the team is exploring their options before they decide if they give him one. That's about all that's going on, IMO.
P.S sorry for the double post :thumbup:
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:34 pm

I don't get why people think obj is such an awful teammate.. there are multiple reports that he is loved in the locker room, is a great teammate, is a hard working leader.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:42 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:34 pm I don't get why people think obj is such an awful teammate.. there are multiple reports that he is loved in the locker room, is a great teammate, is a hard working leader.
I'm not a huge fan of him, or a hater, I just can't stand how the media creates perception. It's such a strong influence. It's a bunch of talking heads looking to earn a pay check that create so much "perceived reality". Much ado about nothing most of the time. All speculation and no fact. It's more important to be first than right in journalism these days, when it comes to sports.
Janiel Dones Truther

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:45 pm

Who's trying to run him out of town. I'm not understanding. Apart from a bunch of articles and TV shows looking for ratings with no real proof of anything, where is this coming from. I don't really care if OBJ stays or goes, but who's trying to run him out of town? You make it seem like he has to go out on the streets in disguise in NY right now.
I'm not talking in the sense that he can't show his face. I'm talking in the sense that the media coverage has turned against him. It's been a gradual build up. Collectively, New York media hasn't been kind to him the last few years. If his antics have the New York media reacting as they have, how is it going to be in LA?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:45 pm
I'm not talking in the sense that he can't show his face. I'm talking in the sense that the media coverage has turned against him. It's been a gradual build up. Collectively, New York media hasn't been kind to him the last few years. If his antics have the New York media reacting as they have, how is it going to be in LA?
I suppose so, but when it comes down to football players are largely unaffected, as it is commonplace for them to be the centre of talks by drones like Skip Bayless. The media doesn't dictate what the Giants do. They create a perception for the fan. Media excels at telling you what your opinion should be (and I'm not saying you specifically). I think the larger question is the Giants GM, who cut bait with Josh Norman, and if he wants to play the game with OBJ, or if he wants to put his stamp on this team by making a move to ship him. I do think it would have to pass through ownership, though. Regardless of NY or LA, OBJ is still an supreme talent on the field, and that's what really matter for FF.
Janiel Dones Truther

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:26 am

I just re-learned that Keyshawn Johnson was once traded for 2 firsts at the end of his rookie deal by the NY Jets (which gave them 4 1st round picks in 1 draft).

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/13/spor ... -team.html

Then he signed a mega deal with the Buccaneers.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 am

Phaded wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:46 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Phaded wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Whats your source?

I have not heard one report that it was offered. I think you are blowing smoke here.
According to Steve Wyche of NFL Network, the Rams have made the No. 23 overall pick in next month’s draft available in a potential trade for the Giants wide receiver.
There is a big difference between a single report between it being available than it being offered though too. OBJ is "available" in that same context too.
The point is it wasn't out of thin air. Maybe his wording was off (available/offered) but he didn't just make it up right here on the spot.

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:17 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Phaded wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:10 pm
CK_ wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 pm

But.. but...but... a 22nd pick in the 1st was already offered....

They also are working on offering a player with said pick.
Whats your source?

I have not heard one report that it was offered. I think you are blowing smoke here.
According to Steve Wyche of NFL Network, the Rams have made the No. 23 overall pick in next month’s draft available in a potential trade for the Giants wide receiver.
Thanks for the clarification DD, apologies on the error of 22nd vs. 23rd

@Phaded I have literally no reason to "blow smoke" nor would I. I actually read it via one of my espn app updates. So it has legs, also Coach McVay is heavily interested in pursuing.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:24 am

I understand reading into rumours and reports - but there is a very big difference between an offer and reporter speculation. That is what I was saying; there is nothing out there suggesting it was already offered. You also do not know what other pieces are involved in the talks. For all we know it could involve the Rams 1st but the Giants 2nd.

Plus - it's Steve Wyche. lol

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:31 am

Phaded wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:24 am I understand reading into rumours and reports - but there is a very big difference between an offer and reporter speculation. That is what I was saying; there is nothing out there suggesting it was already offered. You also do not know what other pieces are involved in the talks. For all we know it could involve the Rams 1st but the Giants 2nd.

Plus - it's Steve Wyche. lol
So you doubt the Rams have made the 23rd pick available in a trade that would net them Odell?

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:33 am

No - I do not doubt that, but you do not know what else is involved in the trade talks.
Nobody does.

To suggest it would be the 1st straight up for OBJ I believe is incredibly unlikely and there will probably be multiple pieces on both sides if a trade were to occur.

I also think trading their 1st for OBJ is a silly move for the Rams.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:39 am

I feel like this is trying to shift the narrative a bit. The argument was never that it would be a 1st straight up. It was about people saying a 1st would never be offered which was silly.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:40 am

hankmurphy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:23 pm
thebeast wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:15 pm It's kind of ridiculous people are saying no one will send a first.
It's definitely ridiculous, considering NYG spent a first-round pick to draft him before he was a proven elite NFL talent. To say that a team wouldn't want to spend a first-round pick to trade for a 25-year-old who's arguably the best at his position because they would also have to pay him just doesn't make sense. I thought drafting elite players who go on to command large contracts is what teams want to get out of their picks.
I don't disagree with you hankmurphy, except for the part about NFL teams wanting their players to command large contracts. I think they much prefer to have elite players on their rookie contracts for cap reasons. OBJ is angling for a mega-deal with one year remaining on his rookie deal. And threatening to hold out if he doesn't get it.

It seems the Giants could be debating whether or not giving him that deal is worth his personality. If they get "blown away" by an offer, it seems reasonable that they'd move on and not pay him. They're rebuilding as a team anyway, or at least they should be. While he's a talent worth building around, not so much if he's causing friction within the organization.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 am

The Rams thing is really interesting. The Steelers have shown a top RB and WR can co-exist and flourish, but the Rams have a much better D, so Odell would have to eat well in the first 3 quarters of games, because the 4th quarter would be Gurley's. The interesting thing though, is the money. If the Rams are serious about acquiring OBJ, they need to have an extension in place if they are going to give up the assets required to acquire him. So lets say 18 million a year. What does that do to the idea of resigning Aaron Donald? They would almost certainly not be able to keep Peters after his rookie deal is up if they get OBJ and want to keep Donald. Would it mean losing Donald long term if they get OBJ? Maybe they feel WR is the better long term position to invest in. WR's are probably more bang for the buck through their second contracts. As good as Suh was, was he worth his contract with Miami? Marcel Dareus, Albert Haynesworth are a few names at DT that were disasters in their 2nd contract. Big guys who play in the trenches can easily lose a bit quicker due to weight (knees etc) and wear and tear of the position. Donald is pretty fit (doesn't carry a ton of extra weight), but what is the move for the Rams if they do acquire OBJ? Can they keep Donald as well. If they did, it would certainly eat into their depth over the next few years.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janiel Dones Truther