Michael Thomas vs. Allen Robinson

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
thomasscheeks
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Michael Thomas vs. Allen Robinson

Postby thomasscheeks » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:52 am

mabeibefunny wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 am Everyone pretty much covered both sides, but I'm going to take Arob, and not for any of the other reasons.... I hate having WRs on NO, they spread the ball around too much and even though there are big stat years for people in there, week to week could go from boom-to-bust.... maybe it is just me being still scarred from M. Colson, but one week would be 3 for 40, the next 12 for 130 and 2 TDs.... Just too much volatility for my liking.

Not taking Arob because I have him, but if two players are pretty much split down the middle IMO, I take the one that is the go-to target and I can reasonably expect to get looks every week.
And yes, NO spreads the ball around. But Thomas was still able to go for 92/1137/9 with Cooks opposite, it's ridiculous to think his target share with go down now that Cooks is gone. He's the clear WR1 and will get his share each and every game. He was solid week after week in his rookie season, the only place to go from there is up.

These 2 WRs are dead even for me. They both proved they can do it at a high level, and both carry some risk. After this season, this debate will be laughable, one way or the other. It's pointless to have a preference at this point because we all know we suck at predicting things. Remember DJ last year? Nobody believed he would repeat his numbers, and he shattered them.
10 Man IDP, .75 ppr, Big Play Bonus, TE Prem, 2 QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 2 TE, 2 DT, 2 DE, 3 LB, 4 DB, 34 Keepers (17 off - 17 IDP)
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Tannehill, Fitzmagic
RB: Jacobs, Javonte, Drake, Mack
WR: Thomas, DJ Moore, Mike Williams, Golladay, Mooney, Kirk, Shepard, Parker
TE: Kittle, Ito Smith, Ebron, Bryant, Seals-Jones
DT: Simmons, Cox, Oliver, Vea
DL: Bosa, Hunter, Heyward, Greenard, Odeyingbo
LB: Watt, White, Cunningham, Kirksey
DB: Collins, Duggar, J Reid, Clark, Edmunds

12 Man, 1 ppr, 1 QB, 1-3 RB, 1-3 WR, 1 TE
QB: Tua, Jameis, Cam, Taysom
RB: Taylor, Javonte, CEH
WR: Jefferson, Nuk, Diontae, Juju, Shepard, Mooney, Robby Anderson
TE: Henry, Gesicki, Brevin, Cook

12 Man, 1 ppr, 1 QB, 1-3 RB, 1-3 WR, 1 TE
QB: Russ, Matty Ice, Tannehill
RB: CMC, Dobbins, Sanders. Scott, Mack
WR: Nuk, Keenan, Mooney, Patrick, Collins, Dyami
TE: Andrews, Schultz, Brevin, Akins

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 am

It's a pick em.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Vcize wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:26 pm Man is Robinson ever a sell right now.

Can someone cite me one example of a guy that broke out, then had a perfectly healthy season as bad as ARob's, and then bounced back to become a top 10 dynasty valued player again?

When young guys have healthy really really bad seasons post-breakout, it's usually a sign that the breakout was the fluke, not the bad season.
Posts like this ignore the fact that Blake Bortles was one of the worst QB's in the league last year. 90% of Robinson's downfall is on Bortles, just like Osweiler hurt Hopkins last season. There's actually a larger sample size that shows that WR's who have as elite a season as Robinson did at a young age, tend to have more elite seasons.

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:31 pm

They are definitely close, but I question whether Thomas could succeed with anyone other than Drew Brees at QB.
I mean, do you think Thomas could be successful with a guy like Bortles? I don't think he could. And Brees has what? 2 years left max?
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:36 pm

HawkeyeState wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:31 pm They are definitely close, but I question whether Thomas could succeed with anyone other than Drew Brees at QB.
I mean, do you think Thomas could be successful with a guy like Bortles? I don't think he could. And Brees has what? 2 years left max?
This is something no one has brought up yet. Switch teams and situations and I think Thomas doesn't get near the numbers he got and ARob puts up even more ridiculous numbers than he did in 2015.

Missile
Captain
Captain

Postby Missile » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Can someone cite me one example of a guy that broke out, then had a perfectly healthy season as bad as ARob's, and then bounced back to become a top 10 dynasty valued player again?

When young guys have healthy really really bad seasons post-breakout, it's usually a sign that the breakout was the fluke, not the bad season.
Posts like this ignore the fact that Blake Bortles was one of the worst QB's in the league last year. 90% of Robinson's downfall is on Bortles, just like Osweiler hurt Hopkins last season. There's actually a larger sample size that shows that WR's who have as elite a season as Robinson did at a young age, tend to have more elite seasons.
NFL awful doesn't mean fantasy awful.

Bortles was QB#7 3,900/23TDs
Osweiler was QB#28 2,957/15TDs

kaius
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kaius » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:33 pm

mudster wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:59 pm With Cooks out the door, I like Thomas a lot more....he should blossom this year.
Blossom? 92 catches... dude is in bloom.
10-team PPR 30-man rosters QB WR (x3) RB (x2) TE W/R/T(x3) SuperFlex

QB: Wilson, Brady, Goff, Roethlisberger
WR: Green, Antonio, Julio, M. Thomas, Gordon, DT, Lockett, Godwin, Cole, Miller, Washington, C Williams, J Matthews, A Wilson, J Reynolds
RB: Gurley, Conner, L Miller, Lynch, Foreman, Martin, CJA, Kelly, Hill, McGuire, Warren
TE: Gronk, Hooper, Goedert, Paul, Gathers

12-team PPR 29-man rosters QB RB (x2) WR (x2) TE W/R/T (x3) K DEF

QB: Newton, Dalton
WR: Davis, Cooks, Lockett, Sanders, Godwin, C. Coleman, A. Miller, J. Matt, Reynolds, Darboh, Dorsett,J Watson, D. Moore
RB: Kamara, Mixon, Cook, RoJo, Yeldon, Barber, L. Murray, Walton, Scarbrough, Tavon
TE: Graham, Ebron, Goedert, Shaheen, Vannett, Gathers
K: Crosby
DEF: Denver, Carolina, Cincinnatti

Igwebuike 4 Prez
Starter
Starter

Postby Igwebuike 4 Prez » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:06 am

They are about equal in talent.

Give me Thomas.

Brees is going to throw the ball 650 times getting out of bed. We can speculate on how much longer he plays but for what he is in the foreseeable future, Thomas has the better opportunity for continued production.

JAX is trying to build a bully of a defense. If they are successful and if they develop a running game, they could throw a lot less. Especially, since Bortles is so inefficient. NO is what it is on offense as long as Brees is there.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:21 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 am It's a pick em.
Totally agree as this thread has proven. There should be a poll. Can I take Watkins in this argument? :biggrin:

verno23
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby verno23 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Coin flip for me.

RocketDr
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RocketDr » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:08 pm

pierson242 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 pm Closer than you think! If we valued Arob this high because of his 2015 season then I think Thomas should be right there! There should be an early second Late first, that's what most Arob owners would want but I wouldn't pay any extra to move from Thomas to Arob I would take Thomas over Arob but it's so close.
I pretty much agree with this.
2-years into dynasty with middle of the pack finish both times
12 team full ppr, .25 ppc, 1.5 TE ppr
Start: QB, 2WR, 2RB, TE, K, DST, 2 Flex
QB: ARod, Newton, Lamar Jackson
RB: Hunt, Shady, Burkhead, Carson, T. Riddick, Corey Grant, Chase Edmonds, Jordan Wilkins,
WR: AB, Davante Adams, Alshon, Allen Hurns, Pryor, Chris Godwin, Anthony Miller
TE: Delanie Walker, Austen Hooper, Rico Gathers
K: Jake Elliott
D: Jax

Hindsy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Hindsy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:10 pm

I have both. Im leaning more towards ARob as he has shown he can still produce as the number one guy even with a gongshow at QB. Thomas hasnt yet proven he can handle the WR1 role (although im sure he will) and he also has an aging QB.
Team 1
12 Team League, .5 PPR;
15-20 Keepers, 30 Roster Spots
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 Superflex, K, DST, DE, LB, DB, 2 D flex

QB - Wentz, Danny Dimes, Flacco, Lock
RB - Conner, Samuels, J. White, Breida, Gaskin, Lamar
WR - M. Thomas, Allen, Hardman, C. Samuel, Hollywood Brown, Pascal, A. Tate, KeeSean, Bisi
TE - Hooper, Herndon, Watson
K - Gonzalez
DST - Panthers
DE - Donald, N. Bosa
LB - Leonard, Deion Jones, Hicks
DB - D. James, V. Bell, Collins

Team 2
12 Team League, .5 PPR;
20 Keepers, 30 Roster Spots
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 Superflex, K, DST, 2 DE, 2 LB, 2 DB

QB - Rivers, Goff, Winston
RB - Barkley, Cook, AP, Lat. Murray, Chris Thompson
WR - Evans, Robert Woods, Cooper, Sutton, Westbrook, PWill, Pascal, Sanu, Reynolds, Ginn
TE - Henry, Njoku, Eifert
K - Gay
DEF - Ravens
DB - Derwin, Poyer, Peters
DL - Calais, Armstead, Houston
LB - Deion Jones, Devin White, Jamie Collins

Dizzle
Starter
Starter

Postby Dizzle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:17 am

I always love to see a poll put up in these instances. You'll always have the guys reading and not responding but still voting in the poll. Gun to my head though I would vote Robinson.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:52 am

Missile wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:23 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:13 pm

NFL awful doesn't mean fantasy awful.

Bortles was QB#7 3,900/23TDs
Osweiler was QB#28 2,957/15TDs

Okay that's fine If Bortles wasn't fantasy awful but his actual NFL play is what affects Arobs fantasy play
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Buckhill Bombers
MVP
MVP

Postby Buckhill Bombers » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:57 am

Thomas for me, but A-Rob is obviously capable of bouncing back in a big way.