General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Re: Tua Tagovailoa Thread

Postby MacDaddy123 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:40 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:36 pm
frerichs5 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:29 am
dustyroads wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:05 am I'm a big believer, pending health, he's going to become a top 6-8 guy here by next year.
Curious who you think he is passing. I thought this was crazy when I first read it until I started looking haha. Still a little high for me, but not terribly different.

I see no chance (barring some kind of career altering injury) he passes:
Allen
Mahomes
Herbert
Jackson
Burrow
Hurts

That’s 6. Probably not passing Murray. I think 8 is the highest I can see him making it if he plays well the remainder of the year. And even that would depend on Dak, Watson, and Lawrence.

So for me I could see backend QB1 (9-11ish) if he continues to play well.
I think Herbert is overrated. Not overrated as in he's bad. Overrated as in he's "one of those things is not like the others" when lined up with those QBs. I think Herbert belongs on the next rung with Tua and others. The potential is there for Herbert and the flashy stats are there, but he's kind of like Winston in that I'm not sure he's going to be a difference maker and lead to more team wins. That's not the best comparison because Herbert is better than Winston, but there's something missing. In other words, Herbert is a better fantasy QB than a real life lead your team to wins QB. Brees led teams to more wins. Mahomes does. Allen and Lamar do it. I'm still on the fence deciding if Herbert is a stats monster or a winning QB. I could easily see Tua passing Herbert.

But that notwithstanding, even behind all those Tua could end up 7th.

For all the times "we" call different QBs special, there is a really short list of really special ones.
I will disagree with that. Herbert finished as the overall QB2 in 2021. Only Josh Allen put up more points amongst QB's.

Yes, Herbert has dropped all the way to QB8 so far this year, but he has been playing with fractured rib cartlidge, and wearing a bulky flak jacket.
Also, his top WR, Keenan Allen, hasn't really played since week 1. Josh Palmer is being exposed as not ready, so Mike Williams has been his only legit target, and now he is injured.

I think Herbert showed in 2021 what he is capable of when he and his WR's are healthy. QB2 output.

Herbert threw for 6 TD's and 1 INT in the first 2 games of 2022, he was injured in the game in week 2.
Since then, he has 6 TD's and 3 INT's in the last 5 games.
Some have even questioned whether he should even be playing due to the injury
Definitely top tier QB, top 4-5 QB IMO.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:16 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:40 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:36 pmI think Herbert is overrated. Not overrated as in he's bad. Overrated as in he's "one of those things is not like the others" when lined up with those QBs. I think Herbert belongs on the next rung with Tua and others. The potential is there for Herbert and the flashy stats are there, but he's kind of like Winston in that I'm not sure he's going to be a difference maker and lead to more team wins. That's not the best comparison because Herbert is better than Winston, but there's something missing. In other words, Herbert is a better fantasy QB than a real life lead your team to wins QB. Brees led teams to more wins. Mahomes does. Allen and Lamar do it. I'm still on the fence deciding if Herbert is a stats monster or a winning QB. I could easily see Tua passing Herbert.

But that notwithstanding, even behind all those Tua could end up 7th.

For all the times "we" call different QBs special, there is a really short list of really special ones.
I will disagree with that. Herbert finished as the overall QB2 in 2021. Only Josh Allen put up more points amongst QB's.

Yes, Herbert has dropped all the way to QB8 so far this year, but he has been playing with fractured rib cartlidge, and wearing a bulky flak jacket.
Also, his top WR, Keenan Allen, hasn't really played since week 1. Josh Palmer is being exposed as not ready, so Mike Williams has been his only legit target, and now he is injured.

I think Herbert showed in 2021 what he is capable of when he and his WR's are healthy. QB2 output.

Herbert threw for 6 TD's and 1 INT in the first 2 games of 2022, he was injured in the game in week 2.
Since then, he has 6 TD's and 3 INT's in the last 5 games.
Some have even questioned whether he should even be playing due to the injury
Definitely top tier QB, top 4-5 QB IMO.
I don't strongly disagree.

However, I think we might be talking about two slightly different perspectives. Sometimes I mix up my takes on being a real world QB with being a fantasy QB. I think it's possible (probably likely) that Herbert will end up being a better fantasy QB who makes his managers happy, than a real world QB who leads SD to multiple playoff successes.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:20 am

Football is a team sport

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:39 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:20 am Football is a team sport
Not if Aaron Rodgers is your QB :D

But seriously, if we're taking about Herbert, he has a great team around him. One of the 4 best RBs. A respected DEF. A decent OL. A good TE. One and half very good WRs. I'll accept him being diminished because of injuries, but the team surrounding him is good enough to win if he's as great as some say he is.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:08 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:39 am

But seriously, if we're taking about Herbert, he has a great team around him. One of the 4 best RBs. A respected DEF. A decent OL. A good TE. One and half very good WRs. I'll accept him being diminished because of injuries, but the team surrounding him is good enough to win if he's as great as some say he is.
The leadership is abysmal. LAC constantly blows games and it has nothing to do with Herbert. He's a top 5 QB

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:52 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:39 am

Give herbert hill and waddle and hes the QB1, even with cracked ribs. Yes, KA + Mike "Disappearing act" Williams is enough to win, but KA has been babying a hamstring for 5 weeks now.

I really like both players, but struggle to find many things that Tua does better than Herbert.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:26 am

He's been on fire since that PIT game. Almost 1000 yards and 9 TD in 3 games. Not the greatest defenses in DET, CHI, CLE, but this offense is fun to watch with Hill/Waddle.

I'm really glad to see him healthy. A few months back I still had him a tier below Burrow (mostly because we hadnt seen as much from Tua). It's getting closer though

Oh and I'm really excited for the Allen/Tua matchups through the years. Could be the new Mahomes/Herbert

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Postby dark_knite03 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:19 pm

Thoughts on Tua being a buy right now? A rebuilding team put him on the block. I'm a bit worried about his injury issues and buying at peak.
Last edited by dark_knite03 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Est '17 12 Team 1PPR 4-Pass 6-Rush/Recieve TD
Start QB RB RB WR WR TE FX FX SF K DL LB DB
Champion 2021.
Geno, Tlaw, M Jones, D.Carr, White
JT, A Jones, Dobbins,Monty,D.Harris, Reyonds
Dillon,Kelley, Warren, Miller, Hill, Penny, Rivers
Diggs, AJB, Jefferson, Chase, Claypool, Juedy, Deebo,WanDale, Mingo, Boutte
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Superflex Est 19' - - Tiered PPR
QB RB RB WR WR WR/RB TE FX SF K D
Dak, Wilson, Watson
Henry, Chubb, ETN, Swift, Gus, Strong, Ford, Spiller, Chandler, Spears
Godwin, DJM , JJ,Kenaan, AJB, Lockett, Austin, Palmer, Boutte
Andrews, Goedert, Juwan, Woods

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:34 pm

dark_knite03 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:19 pm Thoughts on Tua being a bit right now? A rebuilding team put him on the block. I'm a bit worried about his injury issues and buying at peak.
I wasn't a Tua guy but he's changed with the new regime. I'd be a buyer even with the injury history. I think that offense is going to be a good one for the foreseeable future.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:59 pm

The injury issue is something to consider, but I'm a big believer in buying Tua. Even now, he is a very undervalued asset you can acquire for less than true value.

Disclosure: I might be biased in favor of Tua
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:22 pm

I traded away Lamar Jackson before the 2022 season started in a 14 team Dynasty SF TEP league for Tua + a 23 1st and a 24 1st, and I'm happy with the return so far.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:10 am

I still worry about his longevity. He's got a long track record of major injuries, and 1 more concussion could really shorten or end his career.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:58 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:10 am I still worry about his longevity. He's got a long track record of major injuries, and 1 more concussion could really shorten or end his career.
counterpoint: brandin cooks.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:44 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:58 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:10 am I still worry about his longevity. He's got a long track record of major injuries, and 1 more concussion could really shorten or end his career.
Don't think Cooks ever had 2 in 4 days, and had the severity of trauma that Tua displayed.

Counter point, Jhavid Best. He had 3 documented concussions, but due to the closeness and severity, was forced to retire based on medical advice. Cooks sought advice, and was cleared I believe.

With the severity of what happened with Tua, another one may yield results like Best.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:51 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:44 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:58 am
Don't think Cooks ever had 2 in 4 days, and had the severity of trauma that Tua displayed.

Counter point, Jhavid Best. He had 3 documented concussions, but due to the closeness and severity, was forced to retire based on medical advice. Cooks sought advice, and was cleared I believe.

With the severity of what happened with Tua, another one may yield results like Best.
or it may not. concussions are weird and not all the same: you can't say if his next concussion is more likely to end is career than not, you can't say the other way round either.

career-wise, i'd be more worried about tua's other injuries.