2024 Combine

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2024 Combine

Postby Csl312 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:40 pm

That's my guy thus far. Currently in consideration for my early 2nds - if he even lasts that long.

Worth noting that the Cowboys team doctors did his surgery, FYI.

They have more information than anyone else currently on how that looks. If their value meets need on him, he's the natural contender to fly up the draft boards come draft day.
FWIW it would be illegal for the medical team to share any of that info with the cowboys unless the player specifically signed a release. That seems unlikely though. (not entirely sure if that's what you meant but thought it was worth noting)

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:50 am

Players skipping combine drills will become more frequent. It is antiquated in some aspects. The 40 started out as a drill for special teams value. It's not really natural game speed for most. Some players train to get faster for it and then look slower in games. Some players just have bad technique and mess up their times.

Plus, what's the point of non linemen still doing bench press these days?

As tech keeps expanding, there will probably be more ways to make more of these drills useless.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:01 pm
KingsKing wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:36 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:55 am

On top of that he doesn’t add much as a receiver, which usually is something smallish backs like him need to have in their toolbox.
6’0 and 210 pounds isn’t smallish at all .
Yeah I’m not sure Billy has done the research on Wright.
Well, I’m very sure you’re wrong about that.

I’d wager he doesn’t make it to either 6’-0” or 210 lbs when measurables are taken.
Last edited by Bronco Billy on Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:44 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:34 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:03 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:28 am Caleb Williams isn't throwing at the combine. Harrison isn't testing and supposedly won't do a pro day either
I’m not sure anyone has any concerns about Williams’ cannon. All he can do is hurt himself if he starts missing receivers by a bunch or his footwork looks atrocious. He plays much better out of system than in it and takes a lot of time to process, and that’s a problem at the next level. He sure doesn’t want to put any emphasis on that
Man you have better be right......
Why is that?

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:14 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:16 pm One drill I like is the WR cross field catch test (forget what it's called) where the have to run across the width of the field catching left, then right, then left, etc. You get to see who catches with their hands (good) and who catches with their body/chest (bad).
The gauntlet.

Yeah, I enjoy watching that as well. You can pick up on little things that are subtle. Who can maintain a straight line as opposed to weaving back and forth (spatial awareness), hand position, hand catching under stress, reacting to throws outside their frame while on the run, who runs more slowly while crossing the field (confidence in their hands), maintaining posture across the field.

Fun drill and can expose some real flaws.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:41 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:14 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:16 pm One drill I like is the WR cross field catch test (forget what it's called) where the have to run across the width of the field catching left, then right, then left, etc. You get to see who catches with their hands (good) and who catches with their body/chest (bad).
The gauntlet.

Yeah, I enjoy watching that as well. You can pick up on little things that are subtle. Who can maintain a straight line as opposed to weaving back and forth (spatial awareness), hand position, hand catching under stress, reacting to throws outside their frame while on the run, who runs more slowly while crossing the field (confidence in their hands), maintaining posture across the field.

One of the few drills I actually find valuable

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:14 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:14 am
The gauntlet.

Thank you, couldn't remember what it was called.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 pm

Csl312 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:40 pm

That's my guy thus far. Currently in consideration for my early 2nds - if he even lasts that long.

Worth noting that the Cowboys team doctors did his surgery, FYI.

They have more information than anyone else currently on how that looks. If their value meets need on him, he's the natural contender to fly up the draft boards come draft day.
FWIW it would be illegal for the medical team to share any of that info with the cowboys unless the player specifically signed a release. That seems unlikely though. (not entirely sure if that's what you meant but thought it was worth noting)
Read it again and do better next time.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/footba ... as-cowboys

There's a reason to link Brooks to Dallas. The Cowboys medical staff performed Brooks' surgery in Arlington following the TCU game in November, per Kollmann. Dallas also met with Brooks during the Shrine Bowl events in Frisco earlier this offseason.

"They know him very well," said Kollmann of Dallas' ties to Brooks. "They're also looking for a running back."

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:32 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 am
KingsKing wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:36 pm

6’0 and 210 pounds isn’t smallish at all .

I’d wager he doesn’t make it to either 6’-0” or 210 lbs when measurables are taken.
I'd actually prefer if he was 5'10 , I think he gets to 210 or close even if he isn't because of water loading. Even if he is 5'10 and a true 200-202 thats plenty big enough .

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:13 am

KingsKing wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:32 pm

I'd actually prefer if he was 5'10 , I think he gets to 210 or close even if he isn't because of water loading. Even if he is 5'10 and a true 200-202 thats plenty big enough .
That is smallish for a NFL RB.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:15 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:44 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:03 am

I’m not sure anyone has any concerns about Williams’ cannon. All he can do is hurt himself if he starts missing receivers by a bunch or his footwork looks atrocious. He plays much better out of system than in it and takes a lot of time to process, and that’s a problem at the next level. He sure doesn’t want to put any emphasis on that
Why is that?
Just a lot of checks for you to cash if Caleb succeeds at the level most/many think he will
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:36 am

murphysxm wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:15 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:44 am

Why is that?
Just a lot of checks for you to cash if Caleb succeeds at the level most/many think he will
I’ve been wrong before. I’ll take that risk to put my opinions on the table. I’ve also clearly stated that I’m identifying red flags and not dismissing any chance that he’ll succeed at the next level, but there are factors that may affect the extent of his success.

If someone here just feels the unbridled need to do a happy dance and victory lap here because either those red flags didn’t actually exist, were played through, or that he learned to fix them, well I’m okay with being their punching bag if it’s cathartic for them.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:38 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:36 am If someone here just feels the unbridled need to do a happy dance and victory lap here because either those red flags didn’t actually exist, were played through, or that he learned to fix them, well I’m okay with being their punching bag if it’s cathartic for them.
Ooooo goodie! I love figuratively punching a figurative punching bag because my speculation of some athlete's career (with severely limited information) beat your speculation! You know, it just makes a man feel bigger than his peers!

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:08 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:38 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:36 am If someone here just feels the unbridled need to do a happy dance and victory lap here because either those red flags didn’t actually exist, were played through, or that he learned to fix them, well I’m okay with being their punching bag if it’s cathartic for them.
Ooooo goodie! I love figuratively punching a figurative punching bag because my speculation of some athlete's career (with severely limited information) beat your speculation! You know, it just makes a man feel bigger than his peers!
:lol:

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:56 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:13 am
KingsKing wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:32 pm

That is smallish for a NFL RB.
Bigger than Gibbs,Cook,Achane,Ekeler to name a few, same size as CMC,Pollard,Etienne etc. Thats plenty big enough to play RB.