General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Tank "The Tank" Bigsby

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:36 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:09 pm
Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:51 pm
I could easily see a world where Bigsby = Ingram and ETN = Kamara. I don't necessarily mean roles (we know ETN isn't the pass catcher that Kamara is and we don't totally know Bigsby so far), but we have a pounder and we have a high efficiency one. PPT proponents eat your heart out! :lol:

ETN doesn't need to be on the field all the time to significantly affect a game or score fantasy points. Regardless of snap share (again they had nothing after ETN especially after Robinson fell apart and was traded) his touch share is going to go down because of the afore mentioned reasons.
Good discussion. I do wonder what the 74% referenced is now though. I’m seeing ETN with 220 rushes. The team as a whole had 448. That’s only 49%. Even if I remove QB and WR rushes I’m only getting to 61%.

I'm looking for the site that had a breakdown per game by %. I may have effed up my statements above. It could be post Robinson he was at 74% with games in the 80s (obviously some more some less than 74%). I'll link it up if I can find it again... c'mon google.
Sriracha wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:20 pm I'm into Bigsby as an elite handcuff but the disrespect to ETN in this thread is staggering.

The man was literally drafted there to be a receiving back. He played WR at the start of rookie training camp.. saying he's definitively not a good receiver because he didn't command targets in what was essentially his rookie year is a bit of a leap. He was 5th in the NFL in yards per reception among RBs and 17th in YPRR. It's very possible he improves as a receiver with time.

ETN was taking more than 74% of the rushes after Robinson was cut and while he weighed in at the combine at 215 he plays closer to 205. That's not the kind of guy you want being a full blown workhorse.

Bigsby will eat into his touches -- and that's a good thing since it will allow him to be more efficient and fresher for the more valuable touches. :thumbsup:
I think you and I are mostly on the same page. Bigsby eats into his touches, both are more fresh. ETN is the more explosive back. Bigsby gets some goal line work. Both are relevant and I expect ETN to score more. If ETN gets hurt, and he has shown he does get nicked up, Bigsby explodes. If Bigsby gets hurt, I think we can look towards the end of last year on what to expect from ETN.

On that last note, and what I think people are missing, do we expect Bigsby (a bigger back and 3rd round pick) to garner more or less snaps/rushes/catches than D'ernest Johnson and JaMychal Hasty? If you don't say more, I have no way to help you. That is what was behind ETN at the end of the year. Robinson still ended the season as the 2nd leading rusher in 7 games. He opened with carry totals of 11, 23, 17, 8, 10, 12.

Him being drafted (in the 1st round as well) as a receiving back was with Urban Meyer. Let's leave it at that. Can he improve? 100%. Could it just not be fruitful to expect receptions by Jax RBs due to Lawrence? Yup. Could both those be wrong? Yep.
Last edited by Lumps on Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:14 pm

I wish Bigsby had a better season last year. He came into his college career on fire though and that generated the hype for him being one of the top backs in this class, but Jarquez Hunter looked better than him last season.

Bigsby still seems like a solid all-around back and I think he's going to have a long career. Him and Etienne is going to be a really fun combo. I think he can get on the flex radar this season.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:54 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:36 pm
I think you and I are mostly on the same page. Bigsby eats into his touches, both are more fresh. ETN is the more explosive back. Bigsby gets some goal line work. Both are relevant and I expect ETN to score more. If ETN gets hurt, and he has shown he does get nicked up, Bigsby explodes. If Bigsby gets hurt, I think we can look towards the end of last year on what to expect from ETN.

On that last note, and what I think people are missing, do we expect Bigsby (a bigger back and 3rd round pick) to garner more or less snaps/rushes/catches than D'ernest Johnson and JaMychal Hasty? If you don't say more, I have no way to help you. That is what was behind ETN at the end of the year. Robinson still ended the season as the 2nd leading rusher in 7 games. He opened with carry totals of 11, 23, 17, 8, 10, 12.

Him being drafted (in the 1st round as well) as a receiving back was with Urban Meyer. Let's leave it at that. Can he improve? 100%. Could it just not be fruitful to expect receptions by Jax RBs due to Lawrence? Yup. Could both those be wrong? Yep.

Edit: While trying to find the snap/rush % #s, I ran across this:

Bigsby - 1 career fumble
ETN - 5 fumbles and 3 drops... last year.
Where we disagree here is that I don't believe it's an aforementioned conclusion that Bigsby gets the goal line work. He's really not that much bigger than ETN and I don't believe that Lawrence is averse to targeting his RBs -- he's literally the same guy that fed ETN 37 and 48 receptions in college.

While I acknowledge that it's possible the NFL simply whiffed on ETN's receiving capabilities Meyers was not the only NFL guy who liked his receiving potential in college.

The low target share is a negative indicator, of course, but his efficiency metrics were all very promising and this is an area that usually takes time to refine.

ETN played only 59.4% of the snaps despite dominating the opportunity share down the stretch. I'm not sure if they just didn't trust him in pass protection or they were trying to limit his snaps to keep him fresh for the lion's share of rushing opportunities (because they lacked RB depth); but in both cases I see a lot of upside in his receiving opportunity if he can either shore up those pass protection concerns or Bigsby allows them to feel more comfortable giving him a breather when they need to run the ball.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:28 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:36 pm
frerichs5 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:09 pm
Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:51 pm
I could easily see a world where Bigsby = Ingram and ETN = Kamara. I don't necessarily mean roles (we know ETN isn't the pass catcher that Kamara is and we don't totally know Bigsby so far), but we have a pounder and we have a high efficiency one. PPT proponents eat your heart out! :lol:

ETN doesn't need to be on the field all the time to significantly affect a game or score fantasy points. Regardless of snap share (again they had nothing after ETN especially after Robinson fell apart and was traded) his touch share is going to go down because of the afore mentioned reasons.
Good discussion. I do wonder what the 74% referenced is now though. I’m seeing ETN with 220 rushes. The team as a whole had 448. That’s only 49%. Even if I remove QB and WR rushes I’m only getting to 61%.

I'm looking for the site that had a breakdown per game by %. I may have effed up my statements above. It could be post Robinson he was at 74% with games in the 80s (obviously some more some less than 74%). I'll link it up if I can find it again... c'mon google.
Sriracha wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:20 pm I'm into Bigsby as an elite handcuff but the disrespect to ETN in this thread is staggering.

The man was literally drafted there to be a receiving back. He played WR at the start of rookie training camp.. saying he's definitively not a good receiver because he didn't command targets in what was essentially his rookie year is a bit of a leap. He was 5th in the NFL in yards per reception among RBs and 17th in YPRR. It's very possible he improves as a receiver with time.

ETN was taking more than 74% of the rushes after Robinson was cut and while he weighed in at the combine at 215 he plays closer to 205. That's not the kind of guy you want being a full blown workhorse.

Bigsby will eat into his touches -- and that's a good thing since it will allow him to be more efficient and fresher for the more valuable touches. :thumbsup:

Edit: While trying to find the snap/rush % #s, I ran across this:

Bigsby - 1 career fumble
ETN - 5 fumbles and 3 drops... last year.
Your source may be biased. I'm seeing six fumbles in three seasons losing two of them. It was actually one of the concerns with Tank according to Zierlein.

PFF credits him with four in 2022 alone.

https://www.rotowire.com/cfootball/play ... gsby-34650

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:36 pm

Comparing one guy in college to another guy in the NFL isn't an apples to apples comparison to begin with, but yeah, he's fumbled quite a bit more than once, from the sources I am seeing.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:55 pm

CGW wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:28 pm
Your source may be biased. I'm seeing six fumbles in three seasons losing two of them. It was actually one of the concerns with Tank according to Zierlein.

Yeah I see some varying #s out there. This is a black/white stat, it's infuriating that it isn't consistent. Well, now we know why they drafted him. They can rotate being in the dog house for fumbles. :lol:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:59 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:55 pm

Yeah I see some varying #s out there. This is a black/white stat, it's infuriating that it isn't consistent. Well, now we know why they drafted him. They can rotate being in the dog house for fumbles. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDVp22DytbE
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:41 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Fk_mD ... yNightLive

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:55 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:41 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Fk_mD ... yNightLive
:lol: :clap: Nice. BTW. I recommend watching some of these, if you have time. Hartman's was probably my favourite. Dana Carvey's character based on his little brother you could see where Garth came from. Sorry to sidetrack the thread. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrH676MdCzM
Janiel Dones Truther

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:38 pm

But although Pederson is vouching for his guy as any good coach would, he knows that it's not enough yet. Etienne gave up ten pressures last year, tied for third-most among NFL running backs, per Pro Football Focus. He ranked 46th in pass blocking grade out of 62 qualifying running backs. Those are problematic numbers.
https://atozsports.com/jacksonville/jag ... mprove-on/

This might be a big part of why he’s not getting a lot of receptions. Bad news for Tank fans is that pass protection isn’t exactly a strength for him either.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:57 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:38 pm
But although Pederson is vouching for his guy as any good coach would, he knows that it's not enough yet. Etienne gave up ten pressures last year, tied for third-most among NFL running backs, per Pro Football Focus. He ranked 46th in pass blocking grade out of 62 qualifying running backs. Those are problematic numbers.

This might be a big part of why he’s not getting a lot of receptions. Bad news for Tank fans is that pass protection isn’t exactly a strength for him either.
Even as I say ETN is going to lose snaps/rushes etc. to Tank, I still think that using ETN to pass block is a horrid use of his abilities. Tank should get some reps on that front instead. Maybe they just put a TE back there if neither of them show interest in blocking.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:35 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:38 pm

It'd be interesting to compare Etienne's ability against JaMycal Hasty and newly signed D'Ernest Johnson. DJ didn't get much money at 1y/1.x mil.

Could see a TE getting HB/FB snaps. Farrell (Urban Meyer pick) and Strange (2023 2nd) are reportedly good blockers, but could see other factors making them bad options.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:23 am

A classic bell-cow power back at Auburn, Bigsby impressed Jaguars players and staff members repeatedly this offseason with his play-making ability in the passing game. It was an aspect of Bigsby's game that perhaps had a few question marks before April, but one that the Jaguars are confident have been answered.

"So when we got him also, you know, we got him it's like, oh, you know, he does have pretty good hands," Jaguars running backs coach Bernie Parmalee said at the end of the offseason.

"And that's with a lot of players. Sometimes you just don't know until you get them and you got your hands on them and then you sit there say, Oh, he actually can do that."
"This is the type of back we wanted to bring to the table, and he fit everything that we were looking for. And he popped off the screen. And that's the thing when you sit down, you watch the tape, you say, Okay, that's a good play. But for someone to say, Oh, woah, my goodness, I'm running this back. I said, Oh my God. I think we got one. I put a double star. Here's one right here."
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/wha ... ank-bigsby

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:56 am

What if Bigsby fades away like many 3rd round rookie picks do, and D’ernest Johnson is the one to own?

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:01 am

jordanzs wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:56 am What if Bigsby fades away like many 3rd round rookie picks do, and D’ernest Johnson is the one to own?
Feel free to start your D'ernest Johnson conspiracy theory thread. :thumbup: