Sriracha wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:35 pm

Went hunting through twitter

Zach Wilson:
vs Power 5 non-Bowl teams or G5 under 9 Wins:
10.3 YPA, 9.5% TD%, 1.2% INT

vs Power 5 teams Bowl or G5 9+ Wins
7.3 YPA, 2.2% TD%, 2.9% INT

https://twitter.com/thorku/status/1376977468872134658

Level of competition has greatly affected Wilson's play throughout his career which leads me to believe his 2020 breakout year was largely the result of a significantly lower level of competition
There a lot of valid complains espeically about his rookie year but level of competition I really don’t give a bleep about

Like yeah when BYU faces SEC athletes they’ll get punked. It’s not exactly some radical idea

Big Ben and Josh Allen at Miami Ohio and Wyoming got their asses beat facing Iowa and in Allen’s case Oregon and had a hard time even scoring a TD

I’d expect no different when Mormon missionaries and 2 star athletes face actual high end athletes from top of the line schools
Think relative strength of schedule is more important.

Sure BYU didn’t play great teams but BYU also doesn’t have the same level of talent as other schools.

I’d say that Justin Fields and Ohio St, with Henderson, Garret Wilson, Olave, etc., probably had a bigger talent advantage against his competition most weeks than BYU had. Plus, with the exception of Alabama in the playoffs, Fields was awful in his toughest games in 2020 (Northwestern and Indiana).

TLDR: relative strength of competition is what matters.
I'd agree. All the 2021 QBs were on teams more talented than their opposition

The ideal would be someone like Dak at Mississippi State playing with above average P5 talent at best against teams stacked with blue chips but none of the 2021 QBs really fit that description

Footballisacoolsport
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Zach Wilson

Postby Footballisacoolsport » Fri May 27, 2022 10:40 am

Something I really like about Zach Wilson is his mental approach. In all his interviews he seems to have a growth mindset. He takes all responsibility for what he can control, he seems to approach practices as he would games - making mistakes at full speed and effort, gaining valuable reps. His early maturity coupled with his tools leads me to believe he will be a solid starter in this league for a while. His rookie year was ugly but athletes with skill and a great mental approach don't usually flame out.

Everyone knows the Jets have had a great on-paper-offseason so the "buy low" may not be there for everyone, but their Vegas win total is 5.5. I don't see them improving much this season (6th hardest schedule) and there may be another opportunity to buy mid-season. A purchase now will very likely pay good dividends in 2 years.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri May 27, 2022 10:51 am

I planted a flag on him outscoring Lawrence, Fields, Tua and Mac this year

Granted that's not exactly saying much and I don't expect QB1 numbers but still

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri May 27, 2022 1:10 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:09 am
Chwf3rd wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:21 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:34 pm

There a lot of valid complains espeically about his rookie year but level of competition I really don’t give a bleep about

Like yeah when BYU faces SEC athletes they’ll get punked. It’s not exactly some radical idea

Big Ben and Josh Allen at Miami Ohio and Wyoming got their asses beat facing Iowa and in Allen’s case Oregon and had a hard time even scoring a TD

I’d expect no different when Mormon missionaries and 2 star athletes face actual high end athletes from top of the line schools
Think relative strength of schedule is more important.

Sure BYU didn’t play great teams but BYU also doesn’t have the same level of talent as other schools.

I’d say that Justin Fields and Ohio St, with Henderson, Garret Wilson, Olave, etc., probably had a bigger talent advantage against his competition most weeks than BYU had. Plus, with the exception of Alabama in the playoffs, Fields was awful in his toughest games in 2020 (Northwestern and Indiana).

TLDR: relative strength of competition is what matters.
I'd agree. All the 2021 QBs were on teams more talented than their opposition

The ideal would be someone like Dak at Mississippi State playing with above average P5 talent at best against teams stacked with blue chips but none of the 2021 QBs really fit that description
That would be ideal.. but you guys are really underestimating how bad the competition BYU faced in 2020 was.

https://fbschedules.com/2020-byu-football-schedule/

Check it out.

BYU's team was Alabama by comparison.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri May 27, 2022 9:30 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:51 am I planted a flag on him outscoring Lawrence, Fields, Tua and Mac this year

Granted that's not exactly saying much and I don't expect QB1 numbers but still
That's not NOT bold. There's definitely a few leaguemates in my life that would take exception to it... I like it.

@Sirarcha no-one cares about properly rating his college team from 2 years ago anymore. We care about stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1 ... UuPvyHmFSA
Zach Wilson talk. Spoke with a pair of defensive coaches who faces him last year (diff teams fwiw). "Very few guys generate that kind of whip, which is why he can fling it off platform. I'd actually like to see him to do that more. Instead of sitting in the pocket as much..."

"He took a ton of sacks. Too many. Don't be afraid to roam some. Maybe he didn't think he could because he got hurt early in the year. But I'd encourage him to do a little more, especially if the line doesn't improve drastically."

The 2nd coach. "They need Becton to be their left tackle. With Tomlinson in place, Zach will be a lot safer in the pocket. And clearly they're betting on Becton, otherwise they would have taken one of those tackles at #4."

"His arm is eye-popping but he misses a lot of layups. He's gotta clean up his footwork and he's also got to dramatically improve how he sees the defense. They gave him some answers last year. He just didn't use them. Look at how many sacks he took."

2nd coach adds, "the added weapons should help. He was throwing to some JAGs a yr ago. I'd be surprised if he doesn't look better this year." What's his ceiling? "Too early to tell. They were really bad last year, and he was bad with 'em. That part makes it an unfair evaluation."

Said they played a ton of man vs the Jets and Wilson last year. "They didn't have too many guys who could beat it, especially when Moore and Davis were missing time. And Zach would just stand in there and hope someone would break free." Garrett Wilson and the 2 TEs should help.

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 am

he can be really special, the jets have done a lot to help him. He builk up during offseason. He seems very serious in his approach. Can't wait to see if he can bring it all together so we can see the best of him.
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:05 am

Exciting times, you guys! Zach Wilson is trending on Twitter today, for some reason!

Kinda weird timing, though... I wonder what all the fuss is about, it's not even training camp yet...

Ohhhhh.

Oh I seeeeeeeee.

:lol: :think: :lol: :snooty: :lol: :whistle:

(hopefully y'all don't mind some lighthearted humour during the deadzone weeks)

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:28 am

mild wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:05 am Exciting times, you guys! Zach Wilson is trending on Twitter today, for some reason!

Kinda weird timing, though... I wonder what all the fuss is about, it's not even training camp yet...

Ohhhhh.

Oh I seeeeeeeee.

:lol: :think: :lol: :snooty: :lol: :whistle:

(hopefully y'all don't mind some lighthearted humour during the deadzone weeks)
LOL
I'm here for all of that! And I have Wilson as my (for now) 3rd QB so I can say I have a reason to keep up with the "news".
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:39 am

If nothing else, his locker room cred just shot up
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:58 am

You know what they say: You can take Zach Wilson off the cougars, but you can't take Zach Wilson off the cougars.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:20 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:58 am You know what they say: You can take Zach Wilson off the cougars, but you can't take Zach Wilson off the cougars.
How had I not seen someone make that outright joke yet :lol: :clap:

It was there for the taking, the whole time! Kinda like... ... never mind.
murphysxm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:39 am If nothing else, his locker room cred just shot up
That's kind of the funniest thing in all of this - this being an attempted character hit job by his ex-girlfriend to damage his rep...

But instead, the internet just loving it the whole way. What a superb backfire. :lol:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:25 pm

LOL.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:05 am

mild wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:20 pm
ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:58 am You know what they say: You can take Zach Wilson off the cougars, but you can't take Zach Wilson off the cougars.
How had I not seen someone make that outright joke yet :lol: :clap:

It was there for the taking, the whole time! Kinda like... ... never mind.
murphysxm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:39 am If nothing else, his locker room cred just shot up
That's kind of the funniest thing in all of this - this being an attempted character hit job by his ex-girlfriend to damage his rep...

But instead, the internet just loving it the whole way. What a superb backfire. :lol:
Classic!

Where Fantasy meets Reality
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:37 pm

This is the takeoff point people. If you haven’t bought already, you’ve probably missed the boat. Confidence is at an all time high!

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Hide yo kids. Hide yo mommas?