Alex Collins

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Alex Collins

Postby thebeast » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:22 pm

JDogil12 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:34 pm Collins seems like a slam dunk top 20 back with no competition and is being drafted as rb 31 right now. He is one of my favorite values right now. Ravens beat guys (I know it's early) say that everything they've seen point to the backfield being his
What do you mean no competition? While they didn't draft the competition this year, they did last year. The only reason Collins had the job was he was the last man standing. A healthy Dixon is probably a little bit better of an RB than Collins, not sure if its enough (or if he's healthy enough) to win the job.

Irbir
Starter
Starter

Postby Irbir » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Every report I’ve seen indicates there is no competition for the starting job. It’s Collins.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 pm

I think it would be unwise to fully count out Dixon.
@PlankMelody

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Irbir wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:39 pm Every report I’ve seen indicates there is no competition for the starting job. It’s Collins.
You must have limited resources.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm

We are talking about a guy who has a total of 500 all purpose and 3 tds in his career, right? A guy who just missed a full season due to a suspension/injury. A guy who still has to beat Buck freaking Allen for a backup role. We are talking about this guy beating out Collins who just had almost 1000 yards rushing and 7 Tds. Why are we talking about him again? Ohhhh because Collins doesn’t have the “pedigree” and got cut by a team who has no idea what they are doing at RB. Dixon sucks, no competition whatsoever.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm We are talking about a guy who has a total of 500 all purpose and 3 tds in his career, right? A guy who just missed a full season due to a suspension/injury. A guy who still has to beat Buck freaking Allen for a backup role. We are talking about this guy beating out Collins who just had almost 1000 yards rushing and 7 Tds. Why are we talking about him again? Ohhhh because Collins doesn’t have the “pedigree” and got cut by a team who has no idea what they are doing at RB. Dixon sucks, no competition whatsoever.
I hope you are wrong about that. LOL. I love Penny, and hope the Hawks got that one right. I actually really liked Collins in college, but then again I liked Dixon, too. Things change so quickly at the RB position. I would take Collins, but don't get too confident in his role. I remember all those poor Tre Mason owners :doh: . Many of whom paid up after his rookie year. :doh: :doh: :doh:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Penny may be great but Hawks have been a mess at that position since Beast Mode. I wouldn’t trust anything they do with that position. It’s been a curse since the Super Bowl for them. I just don’t understand why guys like Collins are doubted by si many. In this dynasty community if a player doesn’t come out the gate with 1500 all purpose yards as a rookieRB they become worthless. It’s silly, they are still rookies, Collins was a rookie and had a crappy rookie year, he had a great sophomore year but his rookie year is being held against him? Sorry not every player can be like Kareem Hunt or Zeke. It’s just a really silly thing that everyone expects rookie RBs to have 1000 rushing yards 500 recieving yards and 12 tds now a days as a rookie. And I’m just saying Dixon is done because he missed his opportunity not because he sucks because he didn’t have a good rookie season
Last edited by Patsfan86 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:26 pm

If Collins had had the same stats he had last year during his rookie season, absolutely no one would be saying they think he is gonna be replaced. He would be a top asset, but he isn’t because he had a bad rookie season, makes no sense

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:18 pm
Irbir wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:39 pm Every report I’ve seen indicates there is no competition for the starting job. It’s Collins.
You must have limited resources.
And yet you offer no links. :|

So far as I know, poster Irbir is correct -- there's been no indication to this point in time that Dixon is competing for more than a change-of-pace role with Buck Allen, behind Collins.

Collins is the starter right now. That said, it's written in with pencil. If he under-performs then of course the situation could become fluid. However, I don't put great odds on that possibility considering Collins was PFF's third best graded running-back in '17.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:22 pm Penny may be great but Hawks have been a mess at that position since Beast Mode. I wouldn’t trust anything they do with that position. It’s been a curse since the Super Bowl for them. I just don’t understand why guys like Collins are doubted by si many. In this dynasty community if a player doesn’t come out the gate with 1500 all purpose yards as a rookieRB they become worthless. It’s silly, they are still rookies, Collins was a rookie and had a crappy rookie year, he had a great sophomore year but his rookie year is being held against him? Sorry not every player can be like Kareem Hunt or Zeke. It’s just a really silly thing that everyone expects rookie RBs to have 1000 rushing yards 500 recieving yards and 12 tds now a days as a rookie. And I’m just saying Dixon is done because he missed his opportunity not because he sucks because he didn’t have a good rookie season
Yeah, but how many good RB's did the Rams have since Faulk? (Who was also traded for BTW). Everyone is all over Guice's around here, and when is the last time they had anything really good? Portis? Also traded for. I don't think it's that simple. The Hawks missed in the 2nd round a few year back with C Mike, but he was a workout warrior that did not produce in college. Schneider and Carrol have used advanced metrics and tape watching to scout Penny. He may hit, he may not, but the Hawks have not sunk any major draft capital into the position since Marshawn, either, but I digress.

Back to the topic. As I said, I really, really liked Collins tape in college. His combine screwed up my view of him. If he can have a good career, I'd be happy for him. I am still working out how to use combine vs tape, as an amateur scout. I had Lev Bell as my RB1 in Dynasty after his rookie year. I had Kareem Hunt as a successful NFL starter in 2014. I have my share of hits at the position, it's probably my best position at evaluating. The difficulty is if Collins gets hurt, or starts out slow, it's tough to judge how much chance he's given to maintain the job with so little invested by the team. If Dixon steps in and does a good job while Collins is out for a month, does he ever sniff starter time again? Talent evaluation and how their teams seemingly value and their use players are completely different, and necessary evaluations in this game of FF we play.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

johnnymozart
Role Player
Role Player

Postby johnnymozart » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 pm

I bought highly on Collins earlier this season for 1.09 and as a pats fan living in Baltimore had to watch only Ravens tv with my limited Package (lol)

As a non biased fan, Collins looked GOOD. passed the eye test with flying colors. I bought because I think he can be an RB1 moving forward... Happy sailing, boys
My team/Picks (14 Teamer- .5PPR) Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 TE
QB Lamar Jackson, Russ Wilson
RB A Gibson, Mostert, Aaron Jones, Penny IR, D.Pierce, Haskins
WR Amon-Ra, KAllen, Mike Evans, Sutton, TBoyd, GDavis, Dotson, Pierce
TE Mark Andrews, Goedert, LThomas
K Tucker
2024- No Picks
2025- 1, 2, 3

Rebuild Sad Orphan 12 team .5PPR -- Start 1QB, 2-4 WR, 2-4 RB, 1-3 TE

QB. Lamar, DJones (IR)
RB Bijan, Gibbs, J. Conner, Z. White, TSpears, Demercado, J Mason
WR Amon-Ra St Brown, Nico Collins, J. Reed, R. Shaheed, C.Tillman, Osborn, CSamuel, Pierce, Ross
TE Andrews, Ferguson, McBride, Ertz
DEF- Patriots, Vikings
2025 2
2026 1, 2, 2, 3, 3

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Collins is the clear starter its not even close
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:02 pm

DJB wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 pm Collins is the clear starter its not even close
Of course he is, right now. This is a Dynasty forum, and the thread was started during the season last year. Not trying to offend, but you've stated the obvious as of July 24th, 2018, and nothing else.
Janiel Dones Truther

bullsboy19
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bullsboy19 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:53 am

I'm a big Collins fan, and as someone who was enamored with Dixon out of college he isn't a threat to Collins. Collins is a lock for RB2 production and a player that tends to be undervalued because he isn't a sexy choice a RB. I've easily gotten him for a 2nd and couldn't be happier!
The 824 Dynasty League - Year 4 - San Antonio Gunslingers

40 man, 2 IR. Requirements: 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 DT, 2 DEs, 3 LBs, 2 CBs, 2 S, 1 DP, 1 K.

QB: Winston, Flacco, Bradford, Rosen.
RB: Gurley, Elliott, Duke, Booker, Murray, Ekeler.
WR: DT, JuJu, Baldwin, Gordon, Garcon, Stills, Miller, Coleman, DJax, Stewart.
TE: Gronk, O.J.
DT: Donald, Clark.
DE: Watt, Mack, Basham.
LB: Wagner, Edmunds, Bucannon, Perryman, Floyd, Burks, Anthony.
CB: Hillton, K. King.
S: Bell, Gipson, Coleman, Wilson, Edmunds.
K: Elliott.
Picks: 2019 2, 3, 4, 5

The Superhero Dynasty - Year 1 - Wakanda Black Panthers

25 man. Requirements: 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex.

QB: Wilson, Bortles, Mayfield, Lauletta.
RB: Guice, Royce, Foreman, Gio, Ty, Grant, Yeldon, Perine, Murray.
WR: NUK, Cooper, M. Jones, Kupp, Dez, Cobb, DJax, Snead, Fountain.
TE: Burton, Doyle, Shaheen.
Picks: 2019 1,2,3,4,5

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:22 pm I just don’t understand why guys like Collins are doubted by si many.
As a former SEC school alum, I watched Collins a decent amount and thought he was a solid player. But the guy didn't have a good combine and fell into the 5th round...barely played as a rookie and was signed to Baltimore's practice squad....and only was promoted because Woodhead went down in week 1 or 2.

Again, I'm not here to hold that against Collins but look at that timeline and tell me that's a guy you would have had on your roster before September 16th, 2017. Personally, I picked him up on September 20th and today I could really be kicking myself because I traded him for a 2nd rounder when I probably will have been better off keeping him. :crazy:

To me all a guy like Collins embodies is that late round RBs just need a chance, and there will always be those who get it. Be sure to keep up on the news and waiver wire. The hard part is valuing these players, and whether or not the performance they put up will make the team commit.