George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:35 am

Knowing the Steelers organization, they've already got a few day 2 WR they are eyeing for 2023. Heck, they probably use the Bears 2nd they directly got from Claypool. Would be icing on the cake after they had him announce his replacement.

Regarding Austin, he's not someone I'm interested in. Didn't like him as a prospect and think he's more of an ancillary role player

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:02 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:32 am
Anteaters wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:28 am
Jigga94 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:36 am

Thanks. It's definitely a lost year but no one was sticking out to me either as the next option. I'd assume it would've been Calvin Austin if he didn't get hurt.
I'll vote for Austin too. He was drafted at a slot that predicted Pittsburgh would give him a real chance to prove himself. Now that the #3 spot is wide open, I'd say it's his for the taking ... if he can take it.
not going to spend much energy because they probably draft the next guy of the future in 2023.
:lol: true
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:05 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:32 am
Anteaters wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:28 am
Jigga94 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:36 am

Thanks. It's definitely a lost year but no one was sticking out to me either as the next option. I'd assume it would've been Calvin Austin if he didn't get hurt.
I'll vote for Austin too. He was drafted at a slot that predicted Pittsburgh would give him a real chance to prove himself. Now that the #3 spot is wide open, I'd say it's his for the taking ... if he can take it.
not going to spend much energy because they probably draft the next guy of the future in 2023.
Will probably have Diontae make the pick too.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:13 pm

I'm interested to see how much of a role Colbert played in finding those 2nd/3rd round WR gems so consistently for the Steelers (I'm thinking a big one). I'm not so sure it'll have the hit rate it has for the past decade plus.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed May 31, 2023 3:26 pm

Tue May 30 10:48am ET
Field Level Media

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver George Pickens is setting the bar high for the upcoming season following a successful rookie campaign.

"Year 2 goals are Pro Bowl, and I feel like last year I feel like I got snubbed," Pickens told College2Pro.com. "Cause there wasn't a lot of guys in there at the Pro Bowl that excited me. Then the Super Bowl. The two bowls. A lot of RAC, run after catch. Two bowls for sure."

Pickens, 22, recorded 52 catches for 801 yards and four touchdowns after being selected by the Steelers in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft out of Georgia.

He ranked fourth in the NFL among rookie wideouts in both receptions and receiving yards, well behind NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Garrett Wilson (83 catches, 1,103 yards) of the New York Jets. Like Pickens, Wilson also didn't get selected to the Pro Bowl.

The AFC's wideouts in the Pro Bowl were Tyreek Hill (Miami Dolphins), Stefon Diggs (Buffalo Bills), Davante Adams (Las Vegas Raiders) and Ja'Marr Chase (Cincinnati Bengals).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:lol: :roll: :crazy: :wall:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 31, 2023 3:41 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:26 pm Tue May 30 10:48am ET
Field Level Media

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver George Pickens is setting the bar high for the upcoming season following a successful rookie campaign.

"Year 2 goals are Pro Bowl, and I feel like last year I feel like I got snubbed," Pickens told College2Pro.com. "Cause there wasn't a lot of guys in there at the Pro Bowl that excited me. Then the Super Bowl. The two bowls. A lot of RAC, run after catch. Two bowls for sure."

Pickens, 22, recorded 52 catches for 801 yards and four touchdowns after being selected by the Steelers in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft out of Georgia.

He ranked fourth in the NFL among rookie wideouts in both receptions and receiving yards, well behind NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Garrett Wilson (83 catches, 1,103 yards) of the New York Jets. Like Pickens, Wilson also didn't get selected to the Pro Bowl.

The AFC's wideouts in the Pro Bowl were Tyreek Hill (Miami Dolphins), Stefon Diggs (Buffalo Bills), Davante Adams (Las Vegas Raiders) and Ja'Marr Chase (Cincinnati Bengals).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Off season stuff, guys always talk nonsense. The one thing I gleaned from this was the RAC. I really hope that means that he knows something about the offense and his role in it this year. He was asked to run so many 9 routes last year. Really wasn't given opportunities for RAC. If he was asked to run more routes closer to the LOS where they got the ball in his hands early, this would be great for his outlook. We know he's a good downfield receiver with contested catch ability, but if he was given the opportunity for some higher percentage routes more often, that's a good thing.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed May 31, 2023 4:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:41 pm Off season stuff, guys always talk nonsense. The one thing I gleaned from this was the RAC. I really hope that means that he knows something about the offense and his role in it this year. He was asked to run so many 9 routes last year. Really wasn't given opportunities for RAC. If he was asked to run more routes closer to the LOS where they got the ball in his hands early, this would be great for his outlook. We know he's a good downfield receiver with contested catch ability, but if he was given the opportunity for some higher percentage routes more often, that's a good thing.
See, the way I'm reading it... it sounds like he's saying RAC doesn't impress him at all - which does fit with what we know of his play-style, as you're saying. He loves making ridiculous high-point catches, and only had around 100 yards of RAC last season - behind such fun names as "Corey Davis" and "Davante Parker" and "Dare Ogumbawali".

211th out of all receiving-eligible players, if we want to think of it that way.

The only bit of grace I might give him is that Pickett's ball placement probably wasn't allowing much RAC yardage - given some of the ridiculous contortions Pickens was having to do to bring the ball in.

Hard to see him muscling in on Diontae's RAC territory with DJ being so good at that role - I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 31, 2023 5:30 pm

mild wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:41 pm Off season stuff, guys always talk nonsense. The one thing I gleaned from this was the RAC. I really hope that means that he knows something about the offense and his role in it this year. He was asked to run so many 9 routes last year. Really wasn't given opportunities for RAC. If he was asked to run more routes closer to the LOS where they got the ball in his hands early, this would be great for his outlook. We know he's a good downfield receiver with contested catch ability, but if he was given the opportunity for some higher percentage routes more often, that's a good thing.
See, the way I'm reading it... it sounds like he's saying RAC doesn't impress him at all - which does fit with what we know of his play-style, as you're saying. He loves making ridiculous high-point catches, and only had around 100 yards of RAC last season - behind such fun names as "Corey Davis" and "Davante Parker" and "Dare Ogumbawali".

211th out of all receiving-eligible players, if we want to think of it that way.

The only bit of grace I might give him is that Pickett's ball placement probably wasn't allowing much RAC yardage - given some of the ridiculous contortions Pickens was having to do to bring the ball in.

Hard to see him muscling in on Diontae's RAC territory with DJ being so good at that role - I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
He was being asked what he wanted to accomplish, and he said the 2 bowls, a lot of RAC, from how I read it from the previous poster. IDK, but we shall see how they use him. I have a feeling Matt Canada won't last long, and hopefully they use Pickens as more than just a downfield guy. He's got a ton of talent, and can do more.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed May 31, 2023 6:24 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:30 pm

He was being asked what he wanted to accomplish, and he said the 2 bowls, a lot of RAC, from how I read it from the previous poster. IDK, but we shall see how they use him. I have a feeling Matt Canada won't last long, and hopefully they use Pickens as more than just a downfield guy. He's got a ton of talent, and can do more.
If we're gonna excessively parse an off the cuff comment (as opposed to a prepared statement), I read it as he wasn't excited by the RAC receivers in the pro bowl.

Original- Year 2 goals are Pro Bowl, and I feel like last year I feel like I got snubbed. Cause there wasn't a lot of guys in there at the Pro Bowl that excited me. Then the Super Bowl. The two bowls. A lot of RAC, run after catch. Two bowls for sure."

Fixed- Year 2 goals are Pro Bowl, and I feel like last year I feel like I got snubbed. Cause there wasn't a lot of guys in there at the Pro Bowl that excited me. A lot of RAC, run after catch.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 31, 2023 8:20 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:24 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:30 pm

If we're gonna excessively parse an off the cuff comment (as opposed to a prepared statement), I read it as he wasn't excited by the RAC receivers in the pro bowl.

Original- Year 2 goals are Pro Bowl, and I feel like last year I feel like I got snubbed. Cause there wasn't a lot of guys in there at the Pro Bowl that excited me. Then the Super Bowl. The two bowls. A lot of RAC, run after catch. Two bowls for sure."

Fixed- Year 2 goals are Pro Bowl, and I feel like last year I feel like I got snubbed. Cause there wasn't a lot of guys in there at the Pro Bowl that excited me. A lot of RAC, run after catch.
Ah, OK. Well he should want that too. Maybe he was saying the pro bowl needed more diversity at the position, different skill sets. Regardless, the Steelers should use Pickens a bit more creatively. I don't think Canada will be there past this year, personally, they need an upgrade at OC rather badly IMO.
Janiel Dones Truther

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:45 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:20 pmAh, OK. Well he should want that too. Maybe he was saying the pro bowl needed more diversity at the position, different skill sets. Regardless, the Steelers should use Pickens a bit more creatively. I don't think Canada will be there past this year, personally, they need an upgrade at OC rather badly IMO.
Totally agree, Canada's on the hot seat here, not Pickens. If I were making a 2023 Hot Seat/Crossroads thread for NFL players and coaches, Canada would be at the top of the list.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:18 am

I’m not a big believer in Pickens and can’t get a sniff for even a late future 1st for him. He may not have as many believers as I’d have guessed based on hype.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:44 am

frerichs5 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:18 am I’m not a big believer in Pickens and can’t get a sniff for even a late future 1st for him. He may not have as many believers as I’d have guessed based on hype.
Not a good time to sell this player. The Steelers were the 24th ranked passing team last season breaking in a new QB and he was a rookie. Steeler WR's have a tendency to breakout in year 2.

Patience with him should benefit your team this year and increase his value.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:30 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:44 am
frerichs5 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:18 am I’m not a big believer in Pickens and can’t get a sniff for even a late future 1st for him. He may not have as many believers as I’d have guessed based on hype.
Not a good time to sell this player. The Steelers were the 24th ranked passing team last season breaking in a new QB and he was a rookie. Steeler WR's have a tendency to breakout in year 2.

Patience with him should benefit your team this year and increase his value.
I sort of agree. Not a huge fan of Pickens (or Pickett for that matter) but it should get better for him in year 2. I wouldn't panic sell

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:24 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:26 pm Tue May 30 10:48am ET
Field Level Media

These kinds of interview responses spook me a bit. I’d much rather get the platitudes (reference Bull Durham) than seeing a response with such an utter lack of humility, self awareness, and respect for other guys who have gotten it done at a high level. It makes me wonder if they have the mentality to do what it takes to make themselves better when they already think they are one of - if not the - best in the game. Don’t get me wrong, I love a deep competitive fire, but this does not show that IMO. It tells me this guy honestly thinks he’s already there.