Zach Wilson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Zach Wilson

Postby Lumps » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:12 pm

mild wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:50 pm
Lumps wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:45 am bleep play aside, saying the offense (the question wasn’t about him specifically) didn’t let down the D when they only allowed 3 points, is exactly how a locker room turns on someone. Garrett’s comments after the game show it’s happening. He’s too professional to just go after him in the media, but you can read between the lines on his answers and see what he was saying.
This is bang-on. That comment was completely brainless. It's how the snowball of discontent truly gets rolling...

They're too good of a team to be getting let down this way AND carrying his mail.

At least Saleh called it what it is in his postgame: "Absolute dog-sh-t" :lol:
Lumps wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:45 am This was a complete offensive failure. Is Zach a big problem? Yes. But is Lafleur ALSO a problem…I tend to think yes. An issue moving forward is you can assume it’s just Zach, they replace him, and things are still bleep. Saleh being Lafleur’s best man at his wedding is going to make this awkward if it’s also him.
It's not Lafleur. The answers are all there on the field, there are wide-open targets staring Zach in the face. He just doesn't process it, see it.

Mike White stepping in last season and immediately having a 400 yard game should tell you all you need to know. But sure, we can do it all again.

I legitimately think if the Jets had a good QB, Lafleur would be a shortlist for the offseason HC cycle. His scheme is very good.
What seemed like like the unthinkable has happened. After it was first reported this morning then taken back. Now official... Lafleur got canned. I'm wondering if this came from the owner or from Douglas? I'm sure we will never know. As I mentioned, with how close Saleh and Lafleur are... it was hard to imagine this happening.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:12 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:12 pm What seemed like like the unthinkable has happened. After it was first reported this morning then taken back. Now official... Lafleur got canned. I'm wondering if this came from the owner or from Douglas? I'm sure we will never know. As I mentioned, with how close Saleh and Lafleur are... it was hard to imagine this happening.
It wasn't that unthinkable, I don't think. He's got a creative scheme with good ideas in it; but being the 26th-31st worst offense in the league (depending on how you're looking at it, DVOA, PPG, etc) just isn't good enough.

And more to the point, they needed another fall guy that wasn't Saleh.

He saw it coming too... there was some murmurings in the last two weeks, as Lafleur had stopped wearing Jets gear in his post-game pressers (something he had consistently done before now) and was simply wearing unmarked clothes.

I buy the "mutual decision" angle. I hope he gets another shot somewhere where there's a good QB... I don't think he's a bad OC. He just got dealt a bad deck. (Although he did also pound the table for ZW in the draft, so he is fairly complicit in his demise to a degree)

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:56 pm

@Mild, where do you get that Lafleur pounded the table for Zach Wilson? At the time, all I heard was that it was a complete team decision. I guess Lafleur was on board with it, but it would be odd that he would be solely responsible for one of the top Jets draft picks in team history
I've also heard on Sigmund Bloom podcast that Saleh and JD were at odds over Zach Wilson (dating back to last year), but I never actually saw an article about that either.
Doesn't sound like both stories could be true.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:03 pm

remedy29 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:56 pm @Mild, where do you get that Lafleur pounded the table for Zach Wilson? At the time, all I heard was that it was a complete team decision. I guess Lafleur was on board with it, but it would be odd that he would be solely responsible for one of the top Jets draft picks in team history
I've also heard on Sigmund Bloom podcast that Saleh and JD were at odds over Zach Wilson (dating back to last year), but I never actually saw an article about that either.
Doesn't sound like both stories could be true.
Doubt that a guy with zero OC experience would have much say in that pick, and if he did, that means the entire Jets organization is inept.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:24 pm

remedy29 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:56 pm @Mild, where do you get that Lafleur pounded the table for Zach Wilson? At the time, all I heard was that it was a complete team decision. I guess Lafleur was on board with it, but it would be odd that he would be solely responsible for one of the top Jets draft picks in team history
Perhaps "pounded the table" is too strong - but it comes from the Flying Coach podcast, when McVay had Saleh and LaFleur on... somewhere in there - he describes the pre-draft interview that they had with Zach Wilson that really helped solidify their decision on the draft board.

The punchline of the story is basically Zach walking out of the room, and Saleh and Lafleur looking at each other and both saying "that was absolutely ridiculous". Reckoned it was one of the most impressive prospect interviews they'd ever been a part of.

That's somewhat where I've been shocked at ZW's inability to grasp NFL scheme, too. (Maybe it is just that the NFL is too fast for him) Whatever he said to those guys in that room clearly impressed them, which to me speaks about really knowing his X's and O's. (I doubt they'd be impressed if he was just all talk about how he was going to be great - that's not what would impress guys that live and breathe the whiteboard like Saleh and ML)

Obviously a lot of work being done by some pre-season comments on a podcast before we'd seen him play a game. What some round here would call "preseason fluff"... but without a doubt, they were both all the way in on ZW at the time, and it's simply revisionist history if they're trying to distance themselves from the pick now. They were all in alignment, and Joe Douglas too.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:24 pm

The Rams picked Greg Robinson at #2 overall after interviewing him so they must have known he was as dumb as a bag of rocks. They just had their physical attributes glasses on and went with that.

Luckily they saved that draft by picking aaron donald a little later at #13.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:00 am

mild wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:24 pm
Perhaps "pounded the table" is too strong - but it comes from the Flying Coach podcast, when McVay had Saleh and LaFleur on... somewhere in there - he describes the pre-draft interview that they had with Zach Wilson that really helped solidify their decision on the draft board.

The punchline of the story is basically Zach walking out of the room, and Saleh and Lafleur looking at each other and both saying "that was absolutely ridiculous". Reckoned it was one of the most impressive prospect interviews they'd ever been a part of.

they were blown...

(away)

TheHipHopOpotamus
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheHipHopOpotamus » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:19 am

Lumps wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:14 pm Did an advanced search and was surprised to see there wasn’t a thread for him. So here we go.

With a healthy line, another year, another WR, and his QB coach all off season I think we can look for some nice progression.
Did anyone else see the irony in someone named Lumps doing a thread on Zach Wilson?

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:07 am

Interesting PFF piece focusing on Zach Wilson just dropped on their YT channel. Not gonna break it all down, but one question was if his performance through 2 years requires analysts to adjust the process for evaluating QB prospects. One point made was people became enamored with the arm talent and didn't notice other issues.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:18 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:07 am Interesting PFF piece focusing on Zach Wilson just dropped on their YT channel. Not gonna break it all down, but one question was if his performance through 2 years requires analysts to adjust the process for evaluating QB prospects. One point made was people became enamored with the arm talent and didn't notice other issues.
yeah, no other 1.02 (or 1.01 for that matter) busted spectacularly.