George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:06 pm

Happy that I traded away Brandon Aiyuk for George Pickens straight up back in July.
Many in the league thought I was crazy, and maybe I am.
Perhaps I could have gotten a 23 3rd back with Pickens for Aiyuk at that time, as Aiyuk's value was higher, but I'm good.

I had seen enough of Pickens in college, and liked the landing spot in Pittsburgh enough to make the move.
I am rebuilding this year anyway, so going from Aiyuk to Pickens I got 3 years younger and the better WR, IMO.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:55 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:06 pm Happy that I traded away Brandon Aiyuk for George Pickens straight up back in July.
Perhaps I could have gotten a 23 3rd back with Pickens for Aiyuk at that time, as Aiyuk's value was higher, but I'm good.

I had seen enough of Pickens in college, and liked the landing spot in Pittsburgh enough to make the move.
I am rebuilding this year anyway, so going from Aiyuk to Pickens I got 3 years younger and the better WR, IMO.
I'm still amazed at the people who think Diontae will prevent Pickens from being the alpha WR in Pittsburgh. Diontae is good, but the difference between them is large.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:57 pm

Anteaters wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:55 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:06 pm Happy that I traded away Brandon Aiyuk for George Pickens straight up back in July.

I'm still amazed at the people who think Diontae will prevent Pickens from being the alpha WR in Pittsburgh. Diontae is good, but the difference between them is large.
Pickens is more talented, but Diontae is more skilled. It seems like a 1A/1B thing going forward.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:30 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:57 pm

Pickens is more talented, but Diontae is more skilled. It seems like a 1A/1B thing going forward.
And could very well turn into that if all of the rumors of the Steelers looking to trade away Chase Claypool come true.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:21 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:30 pm
And could very well turn into that if all of the rumors of the Steelers looking to trade away Chase Claypool come true.
I really don't think they trade away Claypool for less than a 2nd round pick + +. He's a solid WR, especially as their #3 WR. If they had the offensive line and seasoned QB to support it, I think they'd be in talks with the Bengals and Dolphins for best top to bottom WR corps in the league. And they still have another year with him on the cheap. If they get a great deal, I can see him moving for sure. But otherwise, it seems unlikely to me. At least this year.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:26 am

dustyroads wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:21 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:30 pm

I really don't think they trade away Claypool for less than a 2nd round pick + +. He's a solid WR, especially as their #3 WR. If they had the offensive line and seasoned QB to support it, I think they'd be in talks with the Bengals and Dolphins for best top to bottom WR corps in the league. And they still have another year with him on the cheap. If they get a great deal, I can see him moving for sure. But otherwise, it seems unlikely to me. At least this year.
What makes me think Claypool is on the block is his 3rd year status. With Pickett going through growing pains, 2022 is not going to be a win-now season for the Steelers. In 2023, CC will be in his 4th season on his rookie deal and need an expensive extension to keep. With DJ signed to a big deal and Pickens looking at one down the road, I can't imagine Pittsburgh will put itself in the situation of paying three WRs relatively big contracts.

Assuming one of the three will have to go next year as Pittsburgh aligns itself for runs in '23 and beyond, the traded WR will be either CC or DJ. Pickens is looking like a better pure talent than either, and he'll be the cheapest of the group for a few more seasons.

It will be interesting to follow and make fantasy decision based on what we think will happen.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:54 am

Wouldn't surprise me if Claypool is moved. If not this year, eyes on whoever the Steelers draft at WR next year

gpaok
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby gpaok » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:22 am

Saw an interesting stat that out of all WR with min 40 targets, he is 1 of 3 with no dropped passes (Lockett, Thielen the other two). So far he has been solid.
10 team Dynasty Superflex, 1 PPR, 20 + 3 IR player roster
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SFlex, Flex, DEF

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen
RB: Nick Chubb, J.K. Dobbins, Travis Etienne, Rhamondre Stevenson, Rachaad White, Khalil Herbert, Tank Bigsby, Jaylen Warren, Jerome Ford, Kyren Williams, Tank Bigsby
WR: Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, Ja’Marr Chase, Calvin Ridley, Tank Dell
TE:T.J. Hockenson, Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:07 pm

gpaok wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:22 am So far he has been solid.
Except today.

I didn't see any of today's Pittsburgh game, so I don't know if he went 0fer because Pickett was out of it, or if it was because Pickens was just bad.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:13 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:07 pm
Except today.

I didn't see any of today's Pittsburgh game, so I don't know if he went 0fer because Pickett was out of it, or if it was because Pickens was just bad.
The Eagles have a fantastic secondary. They've shut down great WRs all season. Even tougher for Pickens when he's relying on Pickett.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:16 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:13 pm
Anteaters wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:07 pm
Except today.

The Eagles have a fantastic secondary. They've shut down great WRs all season. Even tougher for Pickens when he's relying on Pickett.
Yeah, once they get the rookie QB in there it'll tick up for Pickens for su...

-wait, I'm being told this is in fact the future QB in Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future?

Well, damn. Perhaps he will improve so that Pickens can rely on him.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:53 pm

Pickens and Pickett have had a great connection statistically so far this season. Eagles do have one of the best secondaries in the league, so it's possible Slay and the crew just dominated.

Still weird though that you can't find a way to get Pickens involved.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:19 pm

I mean We all know this is how it is with rookies, they are inconsistent, so I’m not surprised when they put up dud games, I just want to see the flashes and we have seen that with Pickens. Rookie inconsistency is why teams with all rookies will never win anything in dynasty. The only consistent rookie WR this year has been Olave and I think pickens ceiling is higher than Olave. Pickens will have a great game again, then disappear again. That’s just how it is with most of them. But if I had pickens I’d certainly be very excited

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:30 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:53 pm Pickens and Pickett have had a great connection statistically so far this season. Eagles do have one of the best secondaries in the league, so it's possible Slay and the crew just dominated.

Still weird though that you can't find a way to get Pickens involved.
Everyone so wants Pickens, the 64th best PPG WR, to be great it is almost comical.

My take is he has a chance to breakout year 3 once the Steelers get some better overall talent on their roster.

Today he is isn't even start worthy. He does flash talent but he has much learning in front of him.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:40 pm

Wondering how much Claypool's removal will boost Pickens?
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2: