Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

Postby CGW » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:21 am Fun exercise:
Take any NFL team in March 2023. Replace the starting QB with LJax and give him an entire offseason learning the system and practicing with the offense. Now, answer which teams would be worse during the 2023 season with Lamar behind center?

I can't name one. Can you? If you can, please explain reasoning.
Tough question to answer. I do not think Lamar fits any system out there. We saw the struggles of them implementing the "Lamar offense" his rookie season. They had a really hard time throwing the ball, so they trimmed the offense down to the bolts and featured Lamar's strength running the ball. The passing offense has really taken off since then, but not all coaches/systems will be able to adjust like that. Some coaches truly believe their system works no matter the talent and squeeze players into it. Some will adjust the system based on the players they have.

The list of QBs id take over him in the short term is pretty small at this point, either way. And it's really nice to see him finish a season healthy as that's been one of his biggest issues the past couple.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:42 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:24 am
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:16 am Lol get Ridders name out of my MVPs thread.
:lol: :lol:
:nono: :nono: :nono:
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:00 am

CGW wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 am
Take any NFL team in March 2023. Replace the starting QB with LJax and give him an entire offseason learning the system and practicing with the offense. Now, answer which teams would be worse during the 2023 season with Lamar behind center?

Tough question to answer. I do not think Lamar fits any system out there.
This used to be a common detraction thrown against Jackson. However, does Josh Allen fit every system out there? Would Purdy be as effective playing in Buffalo's offense? How would Hurts fare if forced into the same offense NE is running today and with those same skill players? Few QBs are a perfect fit for every offense, because any good OC has tweaked his offense to fit the individual quirks of his QB. Do we think Philly would be repeatedly running the Brotherly Shove if they had Stafford at QB?

I have no doubt Jackson can adjust and the OC can adjust and the result would be almost always great.

CGW wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 am We saw the struggles of them implementing the "Lamar offense" his rookie season. They had a really hard time throwing the ball, so they trimmed the offense down to the bolts and featured Lamar's strength running the ball.
This was another common misobservation/complaint about Jackson early on. When Trevor Lawrence struggled his rookie season, the pundits were quick to point out a flawed offensive system not built for his specific talents. When Jackson struggled, those same pundits said it was because the QB wasn't a good enough QB to conform to the flawed offensive system. When Lawrence showed improvement in year 2, the pundits said it was because he'd grown into a better QB. When Jackson showed improvement in year 2, the pundits said it was because the offense had been simplified to fit his limited understanding of the QB position.

Let's be real. If it was so easy to "trim down an offense" or "dumb it down" or "simplify it" to fit an otherwise inept QB, wouldn't every team in the NFL do that? The difference between Jackson playing like a two-time MVP and Fields playing like a slightly better ZackWilson/Ridder isn't a "trimmed down" offense. It's because Jackson is a supremely talented QB and the other guys are not.

Some pundits might continue to peddle that nonsense, but I'm not believing any of it.
CGW wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 amThe passing offense has really taken off since then, but not all coaches/systems will be able to adjust like that. Some coaches truly believe their system works no matter the talent and squeeze players into it. Some will adjust the system based on the players they have.
Nope. The passing offense has really taken off and looked great because Jackson is a great quarterback. Jackson has been too great for too long to continue to say his success is not due to his fantastic work ethic + his incredible intelligence + his awesome leadership skills + his personal efforts on and off the field. Manning was great because he was great. Brady was great because he was great. But we've been told repeatedly that Jackson is putting up great numbers (and wins) only because the coaches have created an offense that his simple mind can understand and his running ability can exploit. :nono: Like every other QB who repeatedly posts great results, the great results are a result of a great QB.
CGW wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 amThe list of QBs id take over him in the short term is pretty small at this point, either way. And it's really nice to see him finish a season healthy as that's been one of his biggest issues the past couple.
Agree with this. Except I'd say the list of QBs I'd take over Jackson in the short term is zero.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:55 am

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:14 am Would the Falcons be better long term if they sold the farm to get Lamar ? Definitely not having Bijan if you make that decision as that pick would've had to be in the compensation .
I don't think people realize how close Atlanta is to being legit.

- Atlanta went 4-6 in one-score games this season.
- Everything with them is more difficult than it should be.
- They folded down the stretch, but at one point their defense was Top-10 in points against late in the season.
- They gave up the sixth-least amount of sacks this season.

If you had an average, baseline starting QB, Atlanta might've been a 10 win team.

Atlanta's front office is a cautionary tale of how you can't keep kicking the can on QB and expect to outsmart teams. It got their HC fired and they're capping the investment on the three skill position players they took in the Top 10.

So yes, they should have "sold the farm" for Lamar. They'd be in great shape right now.

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:01 am

lol, there are several that would be. If lamar had to Soley rely on a passing attack he would struggle, as is the running keeps defense off balance. I have always said he is a rb playing qb. When his legs go so will he. I have to say this year has impressed me but for a passing attack there are several Qbs i rather have(the playoffs will come down to can he be consistent enough in a big playoff game we shall see. You are correct this is the Ravens year but the def should be as much or more credit than Lamar. No QB this year deserve the MVP all of them MEH.. Give to CMC or Hill , Hill imo. If you want go by numbers should Allen or Dak be in the lead along with Purdy?
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:37 am

Tvols wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:01 am

lol, there are several that would be. If lamar had to Soley rely on a passing attack he would struggle, as is the running keeps defense off balance.
lmfao yeah just take away his legs and he can't play anymore. problem solved!

I wonder what would happen if you took away Mahomes arms

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:45 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:37 am

lol, there are several that would be. If lamar had to Soley rely on a passing attack he would struggle, as is the running keeps defense off balance.

did anyone say take away his legs nope, I just stated once his legs go so does Lamar. I still do not believe he is consistent enough to run an offense simply by passing only maybe he gets there maybe he doesnt.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:56 pm

Tvols wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:45 pm

did anyone say take away his legs nope, I just stated once his legs go so does Lamar. I still do not believe he is consistent enough to run an offense simply by passing only maybe he gets there maybe he doesnt.
It's just completely silly. Peyton wasn't good either once his arm went. Lamar is a dual threat who uses his legs and arm. That's what makes him great. You act like he's a Fields level passer or something.

I guess he's just not "Quaterbacky" enough for some people

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:39 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:56 pm

It's just completely silly. Peyton wasn't good either once his arm went. Lamar is a dual threat who uses his legs and arm. That's what makes him great. You act like he's a Fields level passer or something.

I Love Lamar's game but I think you have to be in denial if you don't agree that a large part of his passing success comes from NFL defenses respecting his rushing ability.

Arm talent is undeniable at this point, as is his pocket presence but I'd argue his ability to process the defense is more 'acceptable' than it is a strength of his. When he's 38 and less of a dynamic threat will he still be having the same success as a passer? Probably not, but that's a long ways away :lol:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:02 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:39 pmWhen he's 38 and less of a dynamic threat will he still be having the same success as a passer? Probably not, but that's a long ways away :lol:
:lol: I hear you.

That old argument of "he won't be any good when he's 35, 36, 38" is laughable. I can just hear that applied everywhere else.

"Giannis is pretty good now, but I wouldn't want him on my team because he'll be less good when he's 38."

"Jennifer Lawrence is cute today, but I wouldn't date her because how will she look when she's 52?"

"I really like the new Lamborghini, but I wouldn't accept on if you gave it to me free because the maintenance expenses in 2035 are going to be crazy!"

Instead of saying "Jackson is great BUT" we should all stop at "Jackson is great!"
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:10 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:39 pm

I Love Lamar's game but I think you have to be in denial if you don't agree that a large part of his passing success comes from NFL defenses respecting his rushing ability.

Arm talent is undeniable at this point, as is his pocket presence but I'd argue his ability to process the defense is more 'acceptable' than it is a strength of his. When he's 38 and less of a dynamic threat will he still be having the same success as a passer? Probably not, but that's a long ways away :lol:
My point is that it doesn't matter. We can play these fantasy what-ifs all day. What if Peyton ran a 4.4? What if Lamar was fat and slow? Lamar has legs and uses them well. Better than any other QB ever has. Of course that helps his passing. But people still say, "He will slow down when he's old and then what?" :geek:
When do people actually think he slows down though? I like your prediction of 38. That gives us a short 11 years to work with.

Lamar is just hitting his prime and about to get his 2nd MVP. Won a lot of people $ in week 17 as well with his usual blow up game. I'd guess he's going to have a lot more accolades by the time he slows down... whenever he decides to do that

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:35 pm

LMAO what ever Quaterbacky means ..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:44 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:55 am
cazzie33 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:14 am Would the Falcons be better long term if they sold the farm to get Lamar ? Definitely not having Bijan if you make that decision as that pick would've had to be in the compensation .
I don't think people realize how close Atlanta is to being legit.

- Atlanta went 4-6 in one-score games this season.
- Everything with them is more difficult than it should be.
- They folded down the stretch, but at one point their defense was Top-10 in points against late in the season.
- They gave up the sixth-least amount of sacks this season.

If you had an average, baseline starting QB, Atlanta might've been a 10 win team.

Atlanta's front office is a cautionary tale of how you can't keep kicking the can on QB and expect to outsmart teams. It got their HC fired and they're capping the investment on the three skill position players they took in the Top 10.

So yes, they should have "sold the farm" for Lamar. They'd be in great shape right now.
I like your post Cameron Giles, and it's kind of in line with something I was thinking about a couple days ago.

If you've got a talented young nucleus of a team, but you lack a solid starting QB, then consider the average career of an NFL player. It's roughly 4 years. That means that every year you trot out those young talents without a QB capable of winning consistently you're wasting roughly 25% of their career.

This applies to both sides of the ball really.

So yes, Atlanta just dismissing the idea of signing Lamar out of hand was likely foolish. Even if it's true that Baltimore wouldn't actually have let him walk in the first place.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:09 am

This is so silly. Lamar didn't get his guaranteed contract. That is what teams didn't want to give him. Nobody said they didn't want the player. They didn't want to have to give compensation and then have to give guaranteed money. Stop pretending teams said, "Nah, Lamar isn't good, we don't want him." That is not what happened.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:55 am

murphysxm wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:09 am This is so silly. Lamar didn't get his guaranteed contract. That is what teams didn't want to give him. Nobody said they didn't want the player. They didn't want to have to give compensation and then have to give guaranteed money. Stop pretending teams said, "Nah, Lamar isn't good, we don't want him." That is not what happened.
truth.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP