It's Never Too Early: 2010 NFL Draft Top Prospects

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Fri May 15, 2009 2:04 pm

National Football Post breaks down the top senior quarterbacks:

From: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/200 ... breakdown/
NFP Senior Quarterback Breakdown

With the completion of my top-100 board Wednesday, I typically like to take another week or two to get a feel for the top seniors at each position. Throughout the next two weeks, I’ll be following up my top 100 with a breakdown of the top players at each position to give readers – and myself — a good starting point when I begin watching junior tape in June.

To get things started, let’s look at the 2010 senior quarterback class, which is not very impressive at first glance. With junior QBs Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford and Josh Freeman all going in the 2009 draft, the talent toward the top end of the position is a bit weak. Also, with the continued growth of the spread offense in college football, it’s now becoming tougher to find quarterbacks who can fit in NFL-type offenses. This year, for example, about six to eight of the top senior quarterbacks (depending on whom you’re talking to) come from spread offenses, making the evaluation process that much more difficult.

Here’s a look at some of the more intriguing senior QB prospects for 2010.

The Top Three

Colt McCoy, Texas (6-3, 216)

McCoy leads the 2010 quarterback class and is likely to have another stellar season at Texas – along with winning possibly the Heisman Trophy and a National Championship. He’s a confident, poised quarterback who does a nice job in the pocket buying time and keeping his rhythm in the passing game. He displays a nice touch in all areas of the field, although he lacks the arm strength to consistently fit the ball into tight spots — and his passes have a tendency to sail on him when he tries to overthrow. Nevertheless, he possesses an intriguing combination of accuracy, anticipation and athleticism for the position. Like most quarterbacks in next year’s draft, however, he will need to make a transition from the spread offense.

Tim Tebow, Florida (6-3, 245)

continued...

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Fri May 15, 2009 2:10 pm

good stuff, lung. added the site to my favorites. thanks.

bsb8532
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bsb8532 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Next year's WR class is Dez Bryant then everyone else. The crop this year is significantly more talented.

Gresham is overrated imo. He's highly inconsistent and the term butterfingers comes to mind whenever I see him play. Pettigrew was a better all around player from the games I saw.
12 Team No PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR
QB: Cassel, Sanchez
RB: Stewart, Spiller, Moreno, Bradshaw, Starks
WR: Jennings, Nicks, D. Bowe, L Moore, Decker
TE: Pettigrew, Dickson

10 Team .5 PPR - 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex
QB - Matt Ryan, Tebow, Orton, Ponder
RB - MJD, Blount, Beanie, Moreno, Choice,
WR - Megatron, Nicks, Britt, Dez, Cobb, Denarius Moore, Lafell
TE - Vernon Davis, Marcedes, Rudolph

lake3711
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lake3711 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 pm

bsb8532 wrote:Next year's WR class is Dez Bryant then everyone else. The crop this year is significantly more talented.

Gresham is overrated imo. He's highly inconsistent and the term butterfingers comes to mind whenever I see him play. Pettigrew was a better all around player from the games I saw.
I agree on Gresham. Very talented, but questionable hands.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 pm

I'll start up the ol' 2010 forum here w/ DLF's top-5 rankings in two weeks or so after our Gridiron Dynasty draft...

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:30 am

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/pages/20 ... ning-backs

Here's a nice writeup on the running backs expected in the 2010 NFL Draft.

I agree with most of the rankings, but while C.J. Spiller may be an elite runner in college, I think Blount and even Charles Scott project better at the next level. To wit, notice how Dwyer is ranked higher than Jahvid Best in the Juniors, which I agree with.

Spiller and Best may dominate their opposition right now, but unless you're Chris Johnson and have world class speed, I just don't like 195 pound RBs in the NFL over bigger backs.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Buffalo senior running back James Starks will have collegiate career-ending shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum.
Starks was considered one of the top rushers in the 2010 draft because of his 6-foot-2, 211-pound frame and 4.5-second 40-yard-dash speed. But without a senior season for scouts to evaluate, Starks' road to the NFL becomes infinitely more difficult.

continued...

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 pm

the_lung wrote:http://www.mockingthedraft.com/pages/20 ... ning-backs

Here's a nice writeup on the running backs expected in the 2010 NFL Draft.

I agree with most of the rankings, but while C.J. Spiller may be an elite runner in college, I think Blount and even Charles Scott project better at the next level. To wit, notice how Dwyer is ranked higher than Jahvid Best in the Juniors, which I agree with.

Spiller and Best may dominate their opposition right now, but unless you're Chris Johnson and have world class speed, I just don't like 195 pound RBs in the NFL over bigger backs.
Slaton is 198.

I think Spiller could be a RB like that potentially.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Risers/Sliders for 2010 NFL Draft
The college season started with a bang this weekend and already one major contender for the national title has gone down to defeat. NFL scouts were closely monitoring games around the nation in preparation for the 2010 draft. Several prospects from the defensive front seven along with a number of receivers really stood out. Here's Edition No. 1 of the NFL prospects watching their draft stock rise this season -- and those moving in the other direction.

Risers
Gerald McCoy/DT/Oklahoma:

continued...

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Week 3 in college football saw another top-rated team with national title aspirations go down to defeat. The third week on the 2009 campaign also featured several outstanding performances from a number of underclassmen ball carriers, as well as draft-impacting news at the quarterback position. Here are this week's Risers & Sliders:

Ricky Sapp/DE-OLB/Clemson:

continued...
Some good stuff in this week's article. If you've been following NCAA prospects, then you know that RB Jahvid Best from California and QB Jake Locker from Washington are top 5 prospects at their respective positions. However, RB Ryan Matthews of Fresno State is a new one to me, and he's now firmly on my radar.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:39 pm

the_lung wrote:From: Risers/Sliders for 2010 NFL Draft
Week 3 in college football saw another top-rated team with national title aspirations go down to defeat. The third week on the 2009 campaign also featured several outstanding performances from a number of underclassmen ball carriers, as well as draft-impacting news at the quarterback position. Here are this week's Risers & Sliders:

continued...
Some good stuff in this week's article. If you've been following NCAA prospects, then you know that RB Jahvid Best from California and QB Jake Locker from Washington are top 5 prospects at their respective positions. However, RB Ryan Matthews of Fresno State is a new one to me, and he's now firmly on my radar.
I really doubt Locker will declare for the '10 draft. His passing still needs work, but he is every bit the QB prospect Tebow is, if not better.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:33 pm

The NFP Super 30
Our first ranking of the nation’s top 30 prospects

In the first installment of the National Football Post’s Super 30, we break down and rank the nation’s top junior and senior prospects for next year’s NFL Draft.

1. QB Jake Locker, Washington (6-3, 226)
The nation’s top quarterback prospect.

2. S Eric Berry, Tennessee (5-11, 203)
One of the most instinctive safeties to come along in years. Looks like an instant impact player in the NFL.

3. DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma (6-4, 298)
A disruptive force inside who plays with a great motor and consistently finds the football.

4. OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa (6-6, 312)
Might be coach Kirk Ferentz’s best offensive lineman prospect yet.

5. DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska (6-4, 302)
His combination of length, body control and burst make him a big-time threat rushing the passer.

6. ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama (6-4, 256)
Possesses an impressive athletic skill set for his size and has the ability to play in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme.

7. WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (6-2, 220)
A powerful route runner who displays the short-area quickness to separate out of his breaks and can create after the catch.

8. RB Jahvid Best, California (5-10, 195)
Added some much-needed girth to his lower half last offseason but is still a big play waiting to happen every time he touches the ball.

9. DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida (6-6, 290)
Exhibits the power, length and quickness to develop into a disruptive three-down lineman at the next level.

10. DT Terrence Cody, Alabama (6-5, 365)
An immovable object inside who has the ability to anchor the interior of any defensive line.

continued...

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
the_lung wrote:From: Risers/Sliders for 2010 NFL Draft

continued...

I really doubt Locker will declare for the '10 draft. His passing still needs work
, but he is every bit the QB prospect Tebow is, if not better.
I agree with this part. Sitting 2 years under Sark will benefit him greatly.

----------------
Now playing: Ozzy Osbourne - My Jekyll Doesn't Hide

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:48 pm

From: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/f ... s.sliders/
Risers and Sliders: 2010 NFL Draft
By Tony Pauline, TFYDraft.com, Special to SI.com

The fourth week of college football saw a highly ranked SEC program go down to defeat, while upstart Houston once again tamed a Big XII team. It was also a week that saw a number of receivers turn in top performances and a few well-known names disappoint NFL scouts.

Risers
Cliff Matthews/DE/South Carolina:

continued...

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:37 pm

1. QB Jake Locker, Washington (6-3, 226)
The nation’s top quarterback prospect.
Wow. Much love for the Husky! :)