2023 RB class and “utter nonsense”

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2023 RB class and “utter nonsense”

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:01 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:48 pm I should have said generational prospect
It would probably be better to say "elite prospect".

Altering generational to mean every 3-5 years is....not generational.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:07 am

remedy29 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:01 pm Can a player be a generational prospect without being a generational player?

If he doesn't become a generational player, then he is just an overhyped prospect.
It's definitely possible to be a generational prospect and bust as a player, because process doesn't always equal result. Saquon for example, on tape and through measurements, has a strong case for generational as a prospect. But again...by definition that means what, 20-30 years?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:25 am

In today’s NFL, a Generational RB falls somewhere in-between an Oxymoron and a Paradox. 🤪
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:59 am

I think that it was implied that you meant generational prospect. I’m not sure that Bijon is…but I think an argument can be made that he is among the best RB prospects of the past 20 years. So I’m fine with people saying that. But no other player from the class is likely to be that caliber of a prospect…so it is probably utter nonsense to think that there will be more than one Saquon like prospect from any class.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:04 am

How about we all just agree Bijan is the best RB in this class and we all will probably take him #1
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:26 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:47 pm I told a league mate (patsfan86) that Bijan is the best player and only generational RB in the class and was told “that is utter nonsense”.

What does the DLF forum feel? Is it “utter nonsense” to say Bijan is the only generational back? I said the other guys were Josh Jacobs level talents. Let’s talk!
Josh Jacobs level imo is taking it too far. I think the rest are closer to D’Andre Swift’s. Talented fill a roll, but not elite.
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:24 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:04 am How about we all just agree Bijan is the best RB in this class and we all will probably take him #1
++

That's really all there is to it. And that's good enough. Usually, the guy that becomes the best pro RB in a draft has a pretty good career. It's our jobs as fantasy managers to draft the right guy. Sometimes that guy is the first RB drafted in the NFL draft, but sometimes it's not.

Year : in order, the first 3+ RB drafted
2015: Gurley, MGordon, TJYeldon
2016: Zeke, Henry, KDrake
2017: Fournette, CMC, DCook, Mixon, Kamara, KHunt, JConner
2018: Barkley, Penny, Michel, Chubb, RoJo
2019: Jacobs, MSanders, DHenderson, Montgomery, Singletary, DHarris
2020: CEH, Swift, Taylor, Akers, Dobbins, AJDillon, Gibson
2021: Najee, Etienne, Javonte

As a dynasty manager looking back from today, would you rather have drafted Gurley or Gordon? Fournette or CMC or Cook or Kamara? Barkley or Chubb? Jacobs or Montgomery? CEH or Taylor?

I agree that it looks like Bijan is going to be the first RB in '23 dynasty drafts, but just there is no way to know 12 months early if he really is a Generational Talent to be an NFL RB. We should all just slow the roll, control the hype, and be happy to be in position to draft the first RB in our fantasy drafts next year, whoever they might be. And whoever that might be, history has proven it's a 50/50 chance that he's the best fantasy RB in his draft class.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:23 am

Popping back in to stress that it’s important to have the distinction between elite/generational prospect and elite/generational nfl player.

I’ll use Barkley yet again, he qualified as generational prospect in my book, but the career so far is falling short. Lot of it has nothing to do with his talent level either.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:13 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:57 am It really comes down to your definition of generational as others have said.
I'd say based of the colloquial use of the term bijan is a generational level rb prospect (checks every box to a great degree)
Gibbs and Evans are your najee/etn/akers/swift level prospects (should check every box)
Tucker, tank and potentially another guy or two are on your say Gibson, sanders, Royce, ceh pre draft (checks most boxes but has some minor red flags
Not sure he checks the game breaking speed box. Barkley, Gurley etc, there was no doubt these guys could take it the distance on any play. JT for that matter, although there were some questions about pass catching with him, that didn't make him as good a prospect, in the NFL's view.

Bijan isn't considered a burner.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:53 am

Overused term, obviously, and it's a fairly pointless discussion. As far as I'm concerned, almost no one should be considered generational. Saquon looked like he might be capable of it, but that hasn't materialized.

No real way to quantify it, either. If you have to question a certain player, they don't qualify. AP was probably the last guy who actually qualified.

Two Cents
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Two Cents » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:22 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:57 pm Generational running backs are Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Walter Payton. Inner Circle Hall of Famers. Bijan could become that, but he’s certainly not that right now.
Dang.............no LT??????? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Thats Cray

¢¢
¢¢

12 team SF TEP
STARTERS | BENCH
QB (1) Mayfield, Mac Jones, Garrapollo, Darnold, Dobbs
RB (2) Kyren Williams, Rachaad White, AJ Dillon, Gibson, K. Mitchell, Perine, CEH, Akers, Dowdle
WR (3) Collins, Palmer, Meyers, Chark, Boyd, Juju
TE (2) Laporta, Kmet , Schultz, J. Johnson, Fant, Dulcich
FLEX (3) Montgomery, Njoku, Brian Robinson
SF (1) Minshew

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:33 pm

Marcus Dupree was a generational “talent” as I see talent different from production. Injuries, poor scheme fit or just getting lazy/ out of shape have derailed many generational talents.

Dickerson, Bo , Herschel , Barry ,AP Jim Brown, Sayers,, OJ were along with Saquon those kind of talents. A bunch were a notch below that put up production through sheer desire, toughness combined with elite physical ability but not SUPERMAN traits like those mentioned. My personal list would also include Earl Campbell & Ricky Williams as FREAK athletes when it came to football .

Bijan I haven’t studied enough but on a small sample don’t see him at that level but maybe he’s like Ladanian who exceeded expectations coming out of college. Walter & Emmit we’re classic examples of all time overachievers. As a Detroit raised fan one guy who was borderline generational that we never hear of anymore is Billy Sims. That dude was elite & on his way until injury derailed him. Was elite at college level too. Tony Dorset gets an honorable mention too. Riggins another freak big guy who had classic sprinter speed and could run you over or away from you.

J. T. is current size speed young guy who could have an all time career. King Henry as good as he is doesn’t have the all around abilities which keeps him off my generational list. Be interesting to see if Saquon can get it back

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:34 pm

This thread has become all about defining and disagreeing about the term generational. Anyone have any comments about the prospects in the 23 draft class? Will anyone approach Bijan in terms of perceived output?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:43 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:34 pm This thread has become all about defining and disagreeing about the term generational. Anyone have any comments about the prospects in the 23 draft class? Will anyone approach Bijan in terms of perceived output?
Post landing spots someone likely will at least to a subset of the community. My guess would be Gibbs or Evans

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:06 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:43 pm
grandmabetty wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:34 pm This thread has become all about defining and disagreeing about the term generational. Anyone have any comments about the prospects in the 23 draft class? Will anyone approach Bijan in terms of perceived output?
Post landing spots someone likely will at least to a subset of the community. My guess would be Gibbs or Evans
Don’t sleep on Sean Tucker.