Harvin vs Nicks

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Harvin vs Nicks

Postby tstafford » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:29 am

Personally, I don't think they're close at all on value. But I think part of that is that Nicks has been overvalued for a long, long time and Harvin is undervalued IMO. In reality, I think they're closer than what they seem to go for (or command) in trades. Frankly, the Nicks owners cling to him with a death grip. It's rare to ever hear of a completed trade on DLF involving Nicks. Honestly, the same is true in my salary cap league. I've held Nicks since I drafted him (death grip) and Harvin has been on five different teams.

Harvin's injury issue is much worse than Nicks. I had Harvin last year and it drove me nuts that every week was a game time decision. Constantly swapping him in and out with Santonio as my WR3. It gets frustrating. I also don't believe for one second that his migraine problem is solved (which he said a few weeks ago). The compartment syndrome thing is a freak one time injury coming from a severe blow - it doesn't mean anything now.

Harvin's situation is murky. Nick's situation hasn't changed a bit. I don't think Harvin can (or should) be an NFL WR1. If Rice moves on and MIN fails to address that issue, it hurts Harvin a good bit IMO. The QB situation isn't as big a deal to me. Many other share that problem right now (Britt, Rice, AJ Green, Fitz, etc.). And I could actually see how Harvin's style could help a young QB - a lot of shorter routes that are almost like running plays. Honestly, if Rice stays in MIN he's the one hurt by Ponder (but now I digress).

I think Harvin is a supremely talented athlete. Having watched too much SEC football he was truly a beast at FLA. Teams had to contend with all sorts of crap thrown at them in that offense and he was the icing on the cake.

I'd have no issue with Harvin as my WR3. I would want another (lesser) guy who I could use on the weeks where his headaches flair up - and they will. In that WR3 slot, I think Harvin has a lot of upside to produce good fantasy numbers. I will say that I think we've probably seen the best of him already.

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 am

tstafford wrote: Harvin's injury issue is much worse than Nicks. I had Harvin last year and it drove me nuts that every week was a game time decision. Constantly swapping him in and out with Santonio as my WR3. It gets frustrating. I also don't believe for one second that his migraine problem is solved (which he said a few weeks ago). The compartment syndrome thing is a freak one time injury coming from a severe blow - it doesn't mean anything now.
I'd like to lead off by saying that there's no comparison in value between Nicks' value and Harvin's. But Harvin is generally undervalued as a talent and this migraine issue, though annoying, has only caused him to miss 3 games. While Nicks doesn't have a reccurring problem, he gets banged up more and has missed more games whereas Harvin when injured has played through them and performed.

Everyone credits 2009 to Favre playing out of his mind, but what they feel to realize was Harvin and Rice were making play after play for him. Watch this video, Harvin's got over 200 yac on Favre balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0rZdnIw7w

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:39 am

Mangelo wrote:I'd like to lead off by saying that there's no comparison in value between Nicks' value and Harvin's. But Harvin is generally undervalued as a talent and this migraine issue, though annoying, has only caused him to miss 3 games. While Nicks doesn't have a reccurring problem, he gets banged up more and has missed more games whereas Harvin when injured has played through them and performed.

Everyone credits 2009 to Favre playing out of his mind, but what they feel to realize was Harvin and Rice were making play after play for him. Watch this video, Harvin's got over 200 yac on Favre balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0rZdnIw7w
Were they making play after play for Farve or did Farve just know the offense better then any one else. Farve read defenses and put the ball to the player who had the best opportunity to make a play. I would argue that their yac was due to Farve. No other QB can go into Minn, run that offense, and pull that off in the next three years. No other QB will be able to know that offense that well and know instantly who is going to be able to make a play before the snap by reading the defense and make a perfect throw for YAc. I believe GB got a lot of YAC with Farve was there was well.

Harvin just happened to only miss three games. He missed like a month of the pre-season as well. It all comes down to luck and timing if Harvin will miss 2-3 or 8 games.

nightmarion
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nightmarion » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:33 am

I think Nicks is the better options, but its much closer then everyone is saying. Harvin is versatile, and I would disagree that he needs a top QB to be productive. He's the kind of guy that you can hit on a short route and he'll make a play. He's not dependent on a QB to be accurate deep downfield like Nicks is. I'd say Nicks is more dependent on QB play. Harvin will be used out of the backfield more as well which ups his value. I see him as a 80-100 reception guy increasing his value in PPR. In an offense that struggled mightily last season, Harvin still managed almost 1000 total yards and 6 TDs.
The biggest reason I see Nicks as the better option is that he will hit double digit TD's where-as Harvin will consistently be 5-8 TD's.
16 team league, non-PPR standard scoring plus bonuses. $200 cap
Schaub ($26/2014), Weeden ($5/2016)
McFadden ($35/2012), Richardson ($8/2018), Goodson ($2/2012), W. Powell ($2/2014), Taiwan ($5/2014) Bryce Brown ($2/2016)
Fitz ($32/2014), Nicks ($12/2012), DJax ($12/2013), Wayne ($12/2012) Collie ($8/2015), Hilton ($3/2014), Streeter ($3/2013), Hixon ($5/2012), Smith (STL $2/2015), B. Tate ($2/2012)
Gresham ($10/2016), Rudolph ($5/2015), Housler ($2/2017), C. Clay ($2/2015), Cooley ($5/2012)
Gostowski ($2/2015)
CAR ($3/2014), CIN ($2/2014)

Wallace's Warriors
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wallace's Warriors » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:31 pm

First off Eli is much better than Ponder and that can be a major difference. Peterson is much more likely to steal touchdowns compared to Bradshaw and Jacobs. I think that Nicks is overated a little and I also believe that Harvin is underated. So there is less of a gap than most people think.
16 team, No-PPR, 6 pt passing tds
QB: Brady, Schuab, Tannehill
RB: Forte, Charles, Martin, Redman, Carter,R. Jennings, M. Bush, Vereen
WR: Britt, Little, Brown, Wright, Kerley, Sanders, Broyles
TE: Dickson, Cook
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Philidelphia
2013: 2 1sts, 2 2nd
2014: 5 1sts, 1 2nd

DynastyKing
Captain
Captain

Postby DynastyKing » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Wallace's Warriors wrote:First off Eli is much better than Ponder and that can be a major difference. Peterson is much more likely to steal touchdowns compared to Bradshaw and Jacobs. I think that Nicks is overated a little and I also believe that Harvin is underated. So there is less of a gap than most people think.
I think the bolded statement is pretty accurate.

However, I think that AP also brings safeties into the box and opens up opportunities for the passing game. Harvin gets to run routes all day against 8 man fronts.
12 Team|Non-PPR|16 man rosters|9 Keepers|$250 cap|QB, 2-4 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-2 TE
Salaries increase 20%/year in perpetuity

QB: A. Luck $22, RGIII $1
RB: T. Richardson $46, M. Ingram $21, A. Blue $1
WR: AJ Green $15, J. Jones $6, J. Maclin $9, Mi. Floyd $14, TY Hilton $3
TE: J. Reed $2

Rookies: C. Hyde $2, J. Hill $4, T. Mason $4, I. Crowell $1

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Wallace's Warriors wrote:First off Eli is much better than Ponder and that can be a major difference. Peterson is much more likely to steal touchdowns compared to Bradshaw and Jacobs. I think that Nicks is overated a little and I also believe that Harvin is underated. So there is less of a gap than most people think.
This is what I was wondering as I believe this is the case.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Overrated means you have nothing to back up that ranking with. I can come up with a million reasons why Nicks is highly rated, and his stats speak for themselves. There are alot of WR's who cannot hit double digit TD's, Nicks seems like he'll be a regular 10+ TD guy.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:48 am

Chris_R wrote:Overrated means you have nothing to back up that ranking with. I can come up with a million reasons why Nicks is highly rated, and his stats speak for themselves. There are alot of WR's who cannot hit double digit TD's, Nicks seems like he'll be a regular 10+ TD guy.
Interesting. Distinction is between over-rated and over-valued.

I think he's over-valued. What I mean by that is the trade prices aren't justified by my expectations of production.

Over-rated: No way. One of the best WRs in the league.

To me over-valued is about fantasy value. Over-rated is about his ability as an athlete.