Who to target here in round 22 and 23..

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
dlf_ericd
Administrator

Re: Who to target here in round 22 and 23..

Postby dlf_ericd » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:53 am

pntgvn2399 wrote:When I look at dynasty QB's I try to find a guy in an offense where at least in the future passing could become the primary option..
Skip, if he's looking for a QB that could potentially be a starter for him, why would you point him towards VY? I could see adding VY as a backup QB, but I don't ever see him as someone I would want as my starter. In rounds 22 or 23 of a dynasty draft, why would you waste the spot on a backup QB, when you could draft a potential starting WR or RB a couple of years down the road.

With Henne on his bench, he has a viable backup for now, with way more upside than VY. Ronnie Brown probably won't be a Dolphin very much longer and Ricky is 34...so even if they stay a balanced team they are going to throw the ball quite a bit more than last year. Also, I wasn't saying Henne is a better QB than VY right now...but he isn't talking about re-draft either. Henne has great potential to be a QB1, where VY is what he is.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 am

airlex wrote:
pntgvn2399 wrote:When I look at dynasty QB's I try to find a guy in an offense where at least in the future passing could become the primary option..
Skip, if he's looking for a QB that could potentially be a starter for him, why would you point him towards VY? I could see adding VY as a backup QB, but I don't ever see him as someone I would want as my starter. In rounds 22 or 23 of a dynasty draft, why would you waste the spot on a backup QB, when you could draft a potential starting WR or RB a couple of years down the road.

With Henne on his bench, he has a viable backup for now, with way more upside than VY. Ronnie Brown probably won't be a Dolphin very much longer and Ricky is 34...so even if they stay a balanced team they are going to throw the ball quite a bit more than last year. Also, I wasn't saying Henne is a better QB than VY right now...but he isn't talking about re-draft either. Henne has great potential to be a QB1, where VY is what he is.
Guess we will need to disagree on Henne's upside. I am not suggesting taking VY in addition to Henne - just that I would rather have had Young on my roster given the choice between the two.

You will note that I suggested drafting 2 WRs.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Postby pntgvn2399 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:59 am

airlex wrote:

That right there were my feelings exactly! I have McNabb who I believe is being undervalued in a Shannahan system (got him in the 11th round) and for where I got him if he can put up low QB1 numbers for a year or two to give Henne some time to adjust that was my strategy. I just can't see myself drafting VY, I see the #1 fantasy back in the league on that team and he is only 24 years old and not going anywhere soon. As long as Fisher is there they will run run run IMO. I would feel much better taking a flyer on a guy like McCoy or Tebow later than I would with VY. It would pain me to take Tebow however because I feel he is not a NFL QB, however in that system you do not have to be a great QB to put up great numbers.

The Mason idea is a good one as well Skip because I really have no backups this year at WR with my team being so young at this point and it would be nice to add a vet in there for a bye week filler. I grabbed Doucet in the 22nd and I am up right now in the 23rd. I have been doing a lot of reading and I pretty much have it narrowed down to these guys and I listed reasons. What do you think in regards to these 3?

James Jones- Will eventually take over Driver's position and it sounds like it could be as early as next year. I heard that he would be the 3rd option there however I think people undervalue his position. Over the last 6 years Driver has averaged about 80 catches, 1100 yards, and 6 TDs.. Those are pretty good numbers for a #3. I know Jones is not Driver, however it is the position because Driver is the possesion receiver and that would be Jones' role.

Heyward-Bey- BUST last year big time. However word on the street is that he bulked up and has looked good in OTAs and Campbell has been finding him a lot. This late in the draft he may be worth a flier, new QB who can actually throw the balls helps a lot.

Mason- Vet, there really isnt much else to put here except the only downside is that he would only be on my team for a year maybe 2 tops so there is no upside except for this year..

What do you think? Thanks for all the input as well guys..
12 Team PPR IDP
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex 3-4-4 D
QB- P. Manning, Wilson, Carr
RB- McCoy, Foster, Ball, Vereen, Tate, Ivory, C. Michael, L Murray
WR- Megatron, Dez, Watkins, Gordon, Cooks, Quick, Nicks, Bowe, Shorts, M Wilson
TE- Cameron, Donnel, Green
DT- Jernigan
DE- Campbell, Vernon, Nincovich, Casey, Griffen
LB- David, Shazier, Smith, Tulloch, McClain, Riley, Collins, Alonzo (IR)
CB- Cason, Sherman, McCourty
S- Pollard, Landry, Chancellor, Mathieu, McDonald

12 Team PPR IDP
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
RB- Lynch, Bernard Vereen, J. Bell, Ivory, Michael, Robinson, L Murray
WR- Julio, Mi. Floyd, Crabtree, Woods, Lee, Nicks
TE- Graham, Green, Wright
DT- Joseph, Donald
DE- Quinn, C Jones, C Johnson, M Johnson, Clemons, Lawrence
LB-Worrilow, Dansby, Levy, Marshall , McClain, Bartu, Mauga, Alonzo (IR), Johnson (IR)
CB- Jospeh, Verner
S- Bethea, Jones, Blanton

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:38 am

I still think that if Tashard Choice is still there, you need to take him.

After that, I'd grab Heyward-Bey. I know Oakland reached for him and he shouldn't have been a top 10 draft pick. But, he still was a 1st round pick talent in a strong WR class. So, he's worth grabbing this late.

Leave Mason on the board. Can he still play? Sure. But, not for long. And, with your team I think continuing down the young path is the right way to go. If he's still there after you've exhausted the youth that have starter upside like Choice and DHB, then I'd draft Mason.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:56 am

I will probably be in the minority, but I would take DHB ahead of Jones

There is still no firm opinion on which WR will take over for Driver. Might be Jones, might be Nelson. Plenty of other WRs you listed who could start this season, so why wait on what might happen in 2011 or 2012?

DHB was a top 10 selection and will get every opportunity to start. Everyone knows the #1 problem in Oakland was Russell. DHB is a nice flyer selection.

While I think Mason is a very good add for you, you might be able to wait until next round or the one afterward (given the WRs still out there). Most owners will pass over older players in startups and do not appreciate the short term production they are giving up for the sake of future youth. This game is about balance of the two and older players can serve a very purposeful role. fwiw, I drafted Mason in the 17th rd of the DLF IV (ahead of Jones)
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:11 am

i agree with skip on waiting for Mason a round or two...but i would take Jones over DHB. From what I saw out of him last year, even when the QB-who-shall-not-be-named hit him in the hands, he didn't do so well. I love Jones' upside along with potential # of targets like you mentioned.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Postby pntgvn2399 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 pm

I took Heyward Bey... I have every intention of keeping this string going drafting WR's if they keep falling.. If Jones falls in the next round that will be my pick. However with a lot CB's already taken, Winfield and Tillman are both still out there and I might just have to take one of them.. I wanted to wait until late because they are so unpredictable however with these two they are very consistant.. I also have Zac Bowman on the radar that is why I may hold off, I think he has the possiblity to outperform Tillman as early as this year!
12 Team PPR IDP
QB- P. Manning, Wilson, Carr
RB- McCoy, Foster, Ball, Vereen, Tate, Ivory, C. Michael, L Murray
WR- Megatron, Dez, Watkins, Gordon, Cooks, Quick, Nicks, Bowe, Shorts, M Wilson
TE- Cameron, Donnel, Green
DT- Jernigan
DE- Campbell, Vernon, Nincovich, Casey, Griffen
LB- David, Shazier, Smith, Tulloch, McClain, Riley, Collins, Alonzo (IR)
CB- Cason, Sherman, McCourty
S- Pollard, Landry, Chancellor, Mathieu, McDonald

12 Team PPR IDP
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
RB- Lynch, Bernard Vereen, J. Bell, Ivory, Michael, Robinson, L Murray
WR- Julio, Mi. Floyd, Crabtree, Woods, Lee, Nicks
TE- Graham, Green, Wright
DT- Joseph, Donald
DE- Quinn, C Jones, C Johnson, M Johnson, Clemons, Lawrence
LB-Worrilow, Dansby, Levy, Marshall , McClain, Bartu, Mauga, Alonzo (IR), Johnson (IR)
CB- Jospeh, Verner
S- Bethea, Jones, Blanton