Nicks or Colston?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Nicks or Colston?

Postby skip » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:34 pm

kris_kapsner wrote: People are saying that Colston may have more competition for targets because of Meachem, Bush, etcetera. But, isn't Nicks also playing on a team that had a different WR catch 107 passes last year in Steve Smith? And, doesn't Manningham look like he's breaking out and coming into his own just as much as Meachem? Some people had Manningham ranked as the best WR prospect in his rookie class. That's not to mention Barden, who is a huge target and is having a great camp this Summer so far going into just his 2nd season.
I make no bones about liking Steve Smith quite a bit more than Nicks and I have Manningham and Nicks as the 2a/2b on that team. I'd rather have the #1 in New Orleans in a better passing attack than the #2 for the Giants. Not a huge fan of Barden to really challenge any of those 3 for significant playing time.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:43 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:I'm liking the debate so far and it's a tough call for me.

I want to just interject something and then go back to reading some other people's insights on this.

People are saying that Colston may have more competition for targets because of Meachem, Bush, etcetera. But, isn't Nicks also playing on a team that had a different WR catch 107 passes last year in Steve Smith? And, doesn't Manningham look like he's breaking out and coming into his own just as much as Meachem? Some people had Manningham ranked as the best WR prospect in his rookie class. That's not to mention Barden, who is a huge target and is having a great camp this Summer so far going into just his 2nd season.

I like both Nicks and Colston a lot. Just wanted to get some thoughts from you guys.

Thanks for the input so far.
That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say Kris...you've answered your own post perfectly! If anything, Colston has the better situation and 2-dimensionally, I prefer him over Nicks. But in your specific 3D case, I'd go with Nicks for two reasons: 1) age 2) his perceived value is higher, relatively speaking, than is Colston's.

I've had a hard time moving Colston over the past year in different leagues, and this thread re-emphasizes to me that many people really value Nicks...

Guppy CEO
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Guppy CEO » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:48 pm

for most teams, i would take colston. but with the team that you have, i would be tempted to take nicks as long as you were getting a little more. the big reason being age. nicks would solidify you farther into the future.
2008 Champion, 2009 runner up, 2011 champ
fear the guppy!!!!!

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Like you have said, both are on teams were there are plenty of targets - so that playing field is even. Colston is on the better passing team and has proven more. I like young guys, but have to go with the proven talent and Colston.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:13 am

We all search for the next Colston in our pursuit to conquer. In your specific case Kris any risk that Nicks won't become a top 20 WR is minimized by your WR depth. Colston's capabilities are known...98/1200/11 in 2007, but he's had difficulty replicating that stat line since. Still those are lofty numbers for Nicks to live up to. As the leagues premiere passing offense NO has achieved balance in the passing attack. Colston is their best receiver...even though the ball finds its way around. Nicks on the other hand is not the Giants best option. He is the teams best homerun hitter, Steve Smith is the possession guy and should have the better ppr fantasy stats year after year in that role.

Nicks and Colston are close in dynasty value because Nicks has the perceived edge among us. He has the long term upside due to the age difference. This thread is proof of his perceived value. Nicks hasn't achieved Colston status statistically speaking, even if you compare rookie stats. The age argument has a downside too. Comparatively think of it like this, would you have traded Reggie Wayne for Colston after his rookie season? A hot shot rookie with upside for a proven vet that was 27 and in his prime. The age gap is almost identical and Wayne had just recorded his 3rd 1,000 yard season same as Colston just did. I don't think Nicks will outperform Colston for the foreseeable future, equal him...a possibility, but pass by him...too bold a prediction. In startup leagues I see Colston drafted before Nicks every time...Why?

I feel like Switzerland here, financing the war without choosing a side. Its hard to fault your decision either way. In the end you don't need Colston to win now, barring a disaster you should win without him or Nicks. Trading for Nicks keeps the pipeline flowing with future talent. Although I think you can tell which player I side with...keep Colston unless you're getting more than Nicks in this potential trade.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:00 am

I´d take Colston ahead of Nicks, no matter if I´m competing or rebuilding. He´s young enough to not care about the age difference.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:35 pm

Nova wrote:First of all, that is an awesome team!!!

I think they would have similar value on that team, so I go with Nicks because he is 5 years younger.

yeah, this.

are you thinking straight up? You might be able to get an draft pick upgrade or something also tossed in if the Nicks owner prefers Colston.

-oo-

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:29 pm

meineymoe wrote:
Nova wrote:First of all, that is an awesome team!!!

I think they would have similar value on that team, so I go with Nicks because he is 5 years younger.

yeah, this.

are you thinking straight up? You might be able to get an draft pick upgrade or something also tossed in if the Nicks owner prefers Colston.

-oo-
I talked to the Nicks owner over coffee this morning and he values Nicks over Colston. I offered him the #10 pick in our free agent draft this year in addition to Colston and he still turned it down. So, I'm not going to add any more. No big deal. I just thought I was in a position to swing for the fence here or there on some guys I like. But, I don't want to dismantle my team for the heck of it to get prospects.

I did make a large trade yesterday though. I traded Tom Brady, Keller, Deion Branch and Arrelious Benn for Vernon Davis a 1st round free agent pick and three future 1st rounders from a team likely to finish out of the play offs most years.

So, I got VD back after mistakenly trading him away last off season with a 1st round pick for Jason Witten. And, I love getting 1st round picks. :wink:
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings