George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Menace2010
All Pro
All Pro

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby Menace2010 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:18 am

j4pac wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:18 am There is something that can be said about a bird in hand…and the actual ability to see a player on a NFL playing field. For instance…Pickens and Olave look like superstars. I understand their hype was low this offseason, behind all of the other good prospect and even guys like Skyy Moore at times. But you can’t ignore how dominant they have looked on the playing field in a NFL uniform. If the goal in dynasty is to have young superstars…those two are really good bets. At some point you have to completely throw out “stock” that is often dictated by mob mentality and slow to change. I’m personality taking those two guys as my top two WRs right now. Im sure London and Williams could be good…but I’m sure that Pickens and Olave ARE good. Why trade either of those guys for a 2023 pick? You get production right away and there are no guarantees from any of the players next year. The only pick I would take is 1.01 because that typically turns into a lottery pick that can be offloaded for a ton of resources…but otherwise, I’ll probably just stay put.
We've seen them on an NFL field in preseason and at practice. Looking forward to assessing this superstar narrative at the end of the year after they've gone against first string DBs that actually prepared for them.

I'm personally unwilling to make major adjustments to my rankings this time of year. I had London, Burks, Wilson, and Jameson in a tier, sure Burks is now at the bottom of that tier, but I'm unwilling to drop him entirely out of that tier or Pierce or Doubs or Pickens into that tier based on practice and the preseason. Always thought Olave, Pickens, and Skyy were in that next tier, agree with you based on everything Pickens and Olave are firmly above Skyy for me at this juncture...

We'll see how this looks at the end of the year.

ThirdWW
Captain
Captain

Postby ThirdWW » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:55 pm

He just went 1.2 in my draft a couple days ago.
Team One:
Year 12
12 team, .5 ppr
QB 2RB 3WR TE FLEX K DL LB DB

QB - CJ Stroud
RB - Tank Bigsby, Sean Tucker, Chris Rodriguez, cans
WR - Garrett Wilson, Drake London, JSN, Jahan Dotson, Demario Douglas
TE - Kyle Pitts, Cade Otton, Chig Okonkwo

2024 Picks: 1.1, 1.2, 1.9, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.2, 3.7, 4.1, 4.10
2025 Picks: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4

Team Two:
Year 2
12 team, .5 ppr, SF
QB SF 2RB 3WR TE 2FLEX K

QB - Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones
RB - Roschon Johnson, Kendre Miller, cans
WR - Amon-Ra St. Brown, Chris Olave, Jaylen Waddle, Jordan Addison, Jahan Dotson, Demario Douglas, Elijah Moore, Wan’Dale Robinson
TE - Kyle Pitts, Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Chig

2024 Picks: 1.08, 1.12, 2.11, 4.1, 4.11
2025 Picks 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:05 pm

ThirdWW wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:55 pm He just went 1.2 in my draft a couple days ago.
:shock:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:44 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:05 pm
ThirdWW wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:55 pm He just went 1.2 in my draft a couple days ago.
DLF's podcast just did the same thing in a recent mock.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:09 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:44 pm
Where is the outrage; Wasn't he the 11th WR drafted? How is this not bad use of a rookie pick after only 8 total catches in preseason? Was he going against starters the entire time?

Sounds like a running back I heard about in another thread; Not that there is anything wrong with that. :biggrin:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:19 am

Ice wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:09 am

Where is the outrage; Wasn't he the 11th WR drafted? How is this not bad use of a rookie pick after only 8 total catches in preseason? Was he going against starters the entire time?

Sounds like a running back I heard about in another thread; Not that there is anything wrong with that. :biggrin:
I get your comparison, and I do think its early to take Pickens at #2 overall. Not entirely the same though, Pickens has a lot more going for him as a prospect than Pierce. Pickens was top end high school recruit and broke out as a rookie in the SEC. He was then taken by one of the best WR developing organizations in the NFL with their 2nd round pick. Pierce had minimal production and landed on the Texans in 4th.

People are too quick to move rookies in their boards in the preseason as a whole. It can lead to overpays like Pickens at 2 or Pierce at 3, but it can also lead to getting guys like JJ, Chase, Burks later than they should be going due to silly things like just being slot receivers, drops, or asthma respectively. I tend to lean towards values and leave the reaching for the rest of my league.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:10 am

CGW wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:19 am

I get your comparison, and I do think its early to take Pickens at #2 overall. Not entirely the same though, Pickens has a lot more going for him as a prospect than Pierce. Pickens was top end high school recruit and broke out as a rookie in the SEC. He was then taken by one of the best WR developing organizations in the NFL with their 2nd round pick. Pierce had minimal production and landed on the Texans in 4th.

People are too quick to move rookies in their boards in the preseason as a whole. It can lead to overpays like Pickens at 2 or Pierce at 3, but it can also lead to getting guys like JJ, Chase, Burks later than they should be going due to silly things like just being slot receivers, drops, or asthma respectively. I tend to lean towards values and leave the reaching for the rest of my league.
And if I told you Dameon Pierce ranked top 15 all time (11th I think) in the storied history of Georgia high school football with 6,779 yards rushing which was 642 more yards than the great Herschel Walker and only 204 yards behind Nick Chubb would that matter?

The point in jest was Pickens is a WR so its okay as it is usually about fitting a pick into a narrative more than why players like these are actually shooting up the draft boards. The reality is it could be coaching, injury, off field issues, or all of the above that may have cost a player to slide to begin with on NFL and fantasy draft Boards.

These two rookie players have been most impressive in the NFL preseason so it is not surprising to see both high 2nd rounders when the process began on average to move way up draft boards. :thumbup:

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:19 am

I wouldn’t touch Pickens at 1.02. Still too many unresolved questions there with lack of college tape, no testing and a questionable QB situation. That said, those concerns could’ve been partially addressed in preseason as you can get a better gage on how he handles NFL level talent in place of college tape and measurables.

The main arguments against Pierce was draft capital, a lack of involvement in the passing game and a terrible supporting cast.

Pickens is a 2nd round receiver, so apples and oranges there and there has been nothing to suggest that Houston has suddenly become good at football nor any reason to be all that hopeful for significant passing down work from Pierce.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:15 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:10 am

And if I told you Dameon Pierce ranked top 15 all time (11th I think) in the storied history of Georgia high school football with 6,779 yards rushing which was 642 more yards than the great Herschel Walker and only 204 yards behind Nick Chubb would that matter?

The point in jest was Pickens is a WR so its okay as it is usually about fitting a pick into a narrative more than why players like these are actually shooting up the draft boards. The reality is it could be coaching, injury, off field issues, or all of the above that may have cost a player to slide to begin with on NFL and fantasy draft Boards.

These two rookie players have been most impressive in the NFL preseason so it is not surprising to see both high 2nd rounders when the process began on average to move way up draft boards. :thumbup:
I didn't say I agreed with it. Anyways, respected analyst's like Cosell felt Pickens was a borderline top 10 pick if he didn't tear his ACL. I think it's pretty safe to say with no ACL and a productive junior year, he would have been a first round pick. I had Pickens ahead of a lot of the WR's in this class based on talent, but knew I wouldn't have to take him that early. 1.02 is steep now.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:40 pm

He's just been re-establishing himself at the level he was/should have been at this entire time. Circumstances from the end of his college career caused him to slide, but he would have near or at the very top of the consensus WR rankings in this class if he hadn't gotten hurt. His Freshman year, capped with the Sugar Bowl vs Baylor, was enough for me to know he was the WR I wanted most in this class. I'm taking at least this year off from playing, so I didn't actually draft him anywhere(I did buy him at a significant price in a DEVY leage after his freshman year), but I would have been comfortable taking him mid 1st months ago. He is a bit of a knucklehead though, and that's a valid concern, but if he stays healthy and out of trouble there's no doubt in my mind he's gonna be a STUD.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:55 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:40 pm He's just been re-establishing himself at the level he was/should have been at this entire time. Circumstances from the end of his college career caused him to slide, but he would have near or at the very top of the consensus WR rankings in this class if he hadn't gotten hurt.
Yeah, it's this. I feel like the title of this thread is kinda annoying... a lot of us saw this dude coming before the TC hype train got rolling. Quite a few draftniks were clear: he had "WR1 of the class" upside like few others at his discounted price.

I had him and Skyy Moore as my Superflex 1.08 "tough choice" and was fully ready to take Pickens. Just loved his build, loved his tape. Garrett Wilson fell to me instead, and then Pickens immediately went 1.09... so you know. Some people were on him, my league mates included.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:01 pm

This is a great response and sums up everything logical and rationale about the difference between the two.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:02 pm

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:01 pm

This is a great response and sums up everything logical and rationale about the difference between the two.
I agree it was a solid post but at some point the real serious fantasy football players like us need look beyond the surface.

I am in on Pickens myself but also know Pierce had a major Dan Mullen problem which looks to be more evident with each passing day.

Anyone that actually has studied Pierce already knows he was a major prospect entering college with countless scholarships from virtually every school in the southeast.

Suffice to say both the Texans and Steelers look to have hit pay dirt in a big way at this point.

The real difference between these two is position and uniform. Both have a legit shot at ROY.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:10 pm

Reports suggest Diontae might miss week 1, thrusting Pickens into the WR1 role for Pittsburgh. If that happens, any predictions of his stats? Worth starting in week 1if DJ misses the game or wait and see how he performs?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:24 pm

Anteaters wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:10 pm Reports suggest Diontae might miss week 1, thrusting Pickens into the WR1 role for Pittsburgh. If that happens, any predictions of his stats? Worth starting in week 1if DJ misses the game or wait and see how he performs?
I predict Diontae will play…
Diontae Johnson WR | PIT
Steelers' Diontae Johnson: Cleared for Sunday
(2 hrs ago) Johnson (shoulder) doesn't have an injury designation for Sunday's game against Cincinnati, Brooke Pryor of ESPN.com reports.
He may have to play through discomfort after spraining his shoulder in Pittsburgh's preseason finale, but Johnson will be out there Sunday after closing out the week with a full practice Friday. He's the favorite to lead Pittsburgh in targets any time he plays, though there's arguably more competition this year with WR Chase Claypool and TE Pat Freiermuth a year older and rookie wideout George Pickens expected to play a lot. Johnson caught nine of 14 targets for 95 yards in his one game against the Bengals last season.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker