Trade Etiquette Questions Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Wolfepack28
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Question about trading etiquette

Postby Wolfepack28 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:46 pm

I’d also look to sell Sanders at some point. If you can get an early 2nd for him, I’d take it

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Wolfepack28 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:46 pm I’d also look to sell Sanders at some point. If you can get an early 2nd for him, I’d take it
I am looking to acquire Marv Jones just haven't reached out to the owner yet. Also definetlt wanna sell manny just wanna wait until the season since he should hopedully put up better numbers
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert
RB- Antonio Gibson Ty Johnson, David Johnson Lat Murray
WR- Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Cordarelle Patterson,
TE- Hockeson, , Jonnu Smith, Firkser, Logan Thomas

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Personally, I never make a trade where I am giving up the best player in the deal, unless I am getting a 1b and 1c player to the 1a I giving up. It's a personal rule of thumb, and anytime I've strayed from it because of the "package" coming to I've been burned badly.

Another tactic I almost always try to utilize is: I first ask if the player of interest is available, as some owners are simply married to the Gurley's, OBJ's, etc, THEN I ask what they are looking for in return. I feel this is much more productive than starting with a minimalist (not low ball) offer where you run the risk of offending someone or having them reject you outright. More times than not, my request is met with an obvious request for an overpay, and I just chip my way down in discussions from there. So in essence I apply a backward strategy of getting the other side to state their requested overpay and work my way down, instead of offering a minimalist offer and have to work my way up. This also saves a lot of time when certain owners are not moving a player unless it's a crazy overpay.

Also, I know a few mentioned the tactic of "ask yourself what you would want if you had that player". I tend to disagree with this. Fantasy owners, including ourselves, tend to get attached to our "studs" - insert The League reference of rosterbating here - and if we are targeting said player, chances are we are high on them and would ask for lopsided value in return if we had them and were moving them.

IMO, both of your offers were light, and I agree with most in that you should look to acquire some middle-tier talent to add depth, and to have more trade pieces in going after the big fish. Outside of K Allen, I don't see a lot of ammo there to get a stud in return.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:21 am

davingill91 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:11 pm
smbkrypt24 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:01 pm He may have just wanted Smith for Samuel and may not actually value him that highly. I don't play IDP and I saw someone say that he isn't worth a whole lot, but I'll assume your trade partner likes him.
Smith and I would include one of Burton/Njoku since it is TE Premium and they have much more value than ASJ. If he has holes at RB I would put J Williams with it or if not maybe just 2.06. This still seems on the low end but I think improving 2 of the 3 players from the initial offer shows you are willing to give more for Cooks.
I was goinf to do Burton Doctson Smith and the 3.06 but I took all of your advice and emailed him asking what he values both Samuel and cooks at and what he would want baxk from my team for each of them individually
You are going to need to come with a much stronger offer, this offer is laughable and I wouldn't even counter. As someone mentioned before its quality or quanity! Cooks is a top 10-12 guy. I would start with uping your offers or you may continue to get no counters
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:33 am

pierson242 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:21 am
davingill91 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:11 pm
smbkrypt24 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:01 pm He may have just wanted Smith for Samuel and may not actually value him that highly. I don't play IDP and I saw someone say that he isn't worth a whole lot, but I'll assume your trade partner likes him.
Smith and I would include one of Burton/Njoku since it is TE Premium and they have much more value than ASJ. If he has holes at RB I would put J Williams with it or if not maybe just 2.06. This still seems on the low end but I think improving 2 of the 3 players from the initial offer shows you are willing to give more for Cooks.
I was goinf to do Burton Doctson Smith and the 3.06 but I took all of your advice and emailed him asking what he values both Samuel and cooks at and what he would want baxk from my team for each of them individually
You are going to need to come with a much stronger offer, this offer is laughable and I wouldn't even counter. As someone mentioned before its quality or quanity! Cooks is a top 10-12 guy. I would start with uping your offers or you may continue to get no counters
Yeah I think I overvalue thw potential of my players sometimes whixh is probably the problem here. I think butron can become a top 12 TE. And the owners starting TE is Gerald Everett in a 16 team league. With Doctson I think he has potential but has to proveit or course. Smith was a throw in but the other ownerlikes him. Again I think I overvalue my guys too much
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Took us a little while bit we got a trade done. I get Cooks Gerald Everett Drew Stanton Jamar Taylor. I give up Tyler Lockett, Josh Doctson, Keanu Neal, Trey Bruton, 2.06 and my 2019 2nd rounder
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

ManhattanProject
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ManhattanProject » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:38 pm

Great trade for you, glad you got your guy!

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:48 pm

ManhattanProject wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:38 pm Great trade for you, glad you got your guy!
Thabks since I am rebuilding I was not sure aboit giving up two 2nds and Burton but Cooks is proven and Everett replaces Burton hopefully
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

bob b
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob b » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 pm

As a rule of thumb, many team owners overvalue their own players while, at the same time, undervalue players on other teams when looking at trades..I don't know why that is but I have seen it way too often. It's not intentional, maybe we are just naturally optimistic about the players we drafted or picked up off of waivers and we see potential in them that nobody else sees...what that means is that they either a) get irritated at what they consider lowball offers by others or b) make "lowball" offers themselves. Even when trying to start out with "fair" offers it is difficult to make trades which is too bad...I have found you almost have to work a trade so that your opponent "wins the trade"...Until you hit that point mentally, it is probably not a fair trade. Having said that, if the trade isn't fair, just decline it....don't let it hang forever until it is retracted. Understand that we all have a bias in favor of our own team and that no one is actively trying to offend you with a lowball offer.
12 team standard dynasty, 20 player roster:
QB's: A Rodgers, J Garroppolo
RB's: T Gurley, A Kamara, Rashad Penny, John Kelly, Chase Edmonds
WR's: M Evans, M Thomas, A Cooper, A Robinson, C Davis, DJ Moore, Tre'Quan Smith, M Williams, G Allison
TE: T Kelce, OJ Howard,
Def: Bears
K: J Elliot

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:41 pm

davingill91 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm Took us a little while bit we got a trade done. I get Cooks Gerald Everett Drew Stanton Jamar Taylor. I give up Tyler Lockett, Josh Doctson, Keanu Neal, Trey Bruton, 2.06 and my 2019 2nd rounder
clear win for you man. The best player you gave up is Burton, which may be a wash with Gerald Everett (I expect big things from him next year). Also, seconds have a very high bust rate. You got the best player in the deal, without giving up studs, which is always a win. Congrats and nicely done.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Trade etiquette opinions needed

Postby PTW32 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:53 am

I'm in a 10 team dynasty league that is currently on a platform that does not support offseason trading (ive been told we are moving to a new platform next season)

Our current rules are that we are allowed to make offseason "gentleman's agreement" trades and they get reported at the rookie draft and become official.

Earlier in the off-season i agree to a trade where I gave Aaron Rodgers and got Baker + 2 3rd picks.
(This took place prior to the Browns getting OBJ)

Fast forward a month or so and the other owner messages me to say that he messed up and didnt realize he doesnt actually have any picks this year but we will figure something out.

I message him today in an attempt to figure it out as the rookie draft is approaching and he responds had he messed up and didnt keep track well enough to hes just disreguarding the trade.

Where do I go from here? I'm in a rebuild and still want Baker. Do I try to force the issue or just chalk it up to a stupid system and move on?
Team 1 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 3Flex

QB: Feilds, Lance, Stafford
RB: Javonte, Charbonnet
WR: Godwin, Boyd, Aiyuk, Mingo, Downs
TE: Kincaid, Kraft, Schoonmaker

Team 2 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Lamar, Baker
RB: Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Ekeler, Sanders, Dillon, Pierce
WR: Diggs, Hill, Lockett, Addison
TE: Andrews, Hurst, Logan Thomas

Team 3 12 Team PPR (keep 16)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

QB: Kyler, Feilds
RB: CMC, Javonte, Dobbins, Dillo, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Godwin, DJ Moore, Keenan, Lamb, Burks, Toney
TE: Kittle, Hockenson

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Trade etiquette opinions needed

Postby FiremanEd » Tue May 28, 2019 8:10 am

Terrible league structure. This was bound to happen and the league setup basically enables it. Got to move on, as unfortunate as it is

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 am

Agree 100% with FiremanEd. In no way should you allow owners to back out of a trade a month or more later. If I were you I would have been out of this league before even posting on here.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue May 28, 2019 8:42 am

How did YOU not know that he didn't have picks?

No idea why you just didn't email out all the trades as they happened.

Anyways probably nothing you can really do now, move on.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,