Keeper League is adding IDP, asking for advice.

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
schmittmj99
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Keeper League is adding IDP, asking for advice.

Postby schmittmj99 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm in a 12 team Keeper League, we keep 4 players at no penalty (last 4 rounds of draft). Restrictions of up to 2 players per position. This year we are adding IDP and removing DST and K. Next year the Keepers will bump up to 5, 4 on offense, 1 IDP.

I currently am keeping:

Le'veon Bell and Jamaal Charles @ RB
A.J. Green and Mike Evans @ WR

After a few trades I have pick 1.03, 2.01, 2.05 and 3.04 in the first 3 rounds.

Full roster is:

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE
1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB
7 BN, 1 IR

6pt Passing TD, 1 PPR

1.5 Solo Tackle
0.75 Assisted Tackle
4 Sack
6 Interception
4 Forced Fumble
4 Fumble Recovery
6 Defensive TD
5 Safety
1.5 Pass Defended
6 Blocked Kick
2 Tackle for Loss

As far as offensive talent that may be available at 1.03, I would be looking at possibly:

RB:
Mark Ingram
Melvin Gordon
Todd Gurley
TJ Yeldon
Joseph Randle
Ameer Abdullah
Giovani Bernard

WR:
Brandin Cooks
Keenan Allen
Amari Cooper
Jarvis Landry
Allen Robinson

TE:
Travis Kelce

Since this is a startup as far as IDP is concerned, and being allowed to keep 1 IDP for essentially forever due to no draft pick penalty. If J.J. Watt survives until 1.03 is he a no-brainer pick?

My thinking is that he is and that is my current plan since it will solidify my 1 Keeper for a long time and give me what should be an advantage at the DL position in the league.

I would like thoughts though if instead I should target someone like Cooks, Gordon, Gurley, Randle, or Abdullah for my offensive future and instead draft my IDPs later.

Thanks for looking and giving any considerations.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Keeper League is adding IDP, asking for advice.

Postby bruiser » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Cooks and Randle look to be pretty valuable in your format. Starting requirements show a watered-down version of IDP strategy. Your top IDP player will most likely Watt, so that's your choice. Don't even bother investing any time into LBs as the top 12 are pretty much interchangeable in that format.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

schmittmj99
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby schmittmj99 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks for the advice Bruiser, anyone else have any opinions?

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:09 am

with only 1 starter at each level of the IDP positiosn in a 12 team league, I might not draft an IDP. I'm definitely not giving IDP's any of my bench spots. IDP on bye week, you drop who you have and pick up a player who's likely just as good. You'r IDP scoring and minimal requirements mean IDP has little to no value. Just my opinion, but IDP might give some in the league a sour taste with this set up. I'd drop IDP completely or give a real number of IDP starter so IDP's have some value. Forget worring about the IDP keeper.

schmittmj99
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby schmittmj99 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Interesting, so even with the need to keep an IDP player it isn't worth it to get Watt. I don't know if there is enough time left to have the commish add more IDP (what would you suggest, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB?) for this year, but I would think that it could be possible for next.

Lets throw this out there then, lets assume that this year goes through with the current IDP situation, and the keeper remains, but next year adds to it. Then does it make sense to draft Watt potentially at 1.03 to secure him for the future?

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:09 pm

MR ROURKE wrote:You'r IDP scoring and minimal requirements mean IDP has little to no value. Just my opinion, but IDP might give some in the league a sour taste with this set up. I'd drop IDP completely or give a real number of IDP starter so IDP's have some value.
Absolutely true. I would suggest that any beginner league with IDP setup has 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1FLEX. That would at least create some value and strategy as to where to select some of these players that are very important to their real-life teams. This format was my first and it was enjoyable and a great starting point to learn the various players and such.

schmittmj99
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby schmittmj99 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:39 pm

Alright, going to suggest bumping the IDP slots up to 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1 FLX yet for this season, will see what happens. Should this end up passing, where then does Watt rank on the list in terms of who to draft. Roughly the top 48 players are off the board to start due to keepers.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Watt is A1 in that format

roofy61
Role Player
Role Player

Postby roofy61 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:26 pm

X2

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:30 am

IDP isn't a stick your toe in the water to test the temp kinda thig. To put it in perspective to go to your league for starting requirement exspansion, would you play in a league that only started 1 QB and 1 flex (WR/TE/RB) with 2 bench spots? No you wouldn't because there is no point to the league. Now consider that there are about twice as many IDP's that are relavent than IOP (indiv offensive players). Having to start three IDP's is going to be pointless and leads people to believe that IDP isn't for them, but in reality... a messed up IDP league isn't for them and they might really enjoy a league where IDP's have vaue. Some in the league won't catch on right awway, but everyone will catch on sooner or later that the IDPs don't matter in a league that only starts 3.

schmittmj99
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby schmittmj99 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:35 am

Yeah, I for sure get what you are saying. The commish agrees, as do a few of the more seasoned guys in the league. The league also went to a paid league this year (was just a free for fun league), so to try and ease old and new guys in the commish decided to just go slow. I'll bring up your points and see if we can get the 7 IDP going.

Thanks so much for all the advice so far, anymore is just a bonus. :)