Prepare for overload of underclassmen in upcoming draft

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:15 am

From: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... -draft/rss
Dec. 22, 2009
By Chad Reuter
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

An average class of elite senior talent and fears about future rookie contract limits could push a record number of juniors and redshirt sophomores into the 2010 NFL Draft mix by the Jan. 15 deadline for underclassmen to announce.

Fifteen underclassmen went in the first round in 2009, tying the record shared with the 2004 draft. The 23 juniors and third-year sophomores picked in the top two rounds last April, however, set the league record.

Every underclassman deciding whether or not to come out early has a lot of variables to consider: from coaching situations to family considerations to where the NFL Advisory Committee says they might be selected.

Below is a list of top underclassmen who have announced their decision to forgo their remaining eligibility or return to school. Players who have declared they are headed to the NFL can still change their mind, as they have 72 hours after the deadline to withdraw their names.

Declaring for draft

Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame, 6-3, 217, 4.74 40-yard dash, NFLDraftScout.com projection: top 10

continued...

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Cool. Now I just need Eric Berry (to Seattle) and DeMarco Murray to declare. :D
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Cool. Now I just need Eric Berry (to Seattle) and DeMarco Murray to declare. :D
isnt murry a senior?

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:11 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:Cool. Now I just need Eric Berry (to Seattle) and DeMarco Murray to declare. :D
isnt murry a senior?
Junior

----------------
Now playing: Damien Jurado - What Were The Chances

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Last I heard, any new CBA wouldn't set limits on rookie contracts until the 2012 season.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Early entry juniors: Part I
by Wes Bunting
January 08, 02010

• I don’t know all the factors that went into the decision of Ole Miss quarterback Jevan Snead to declare early for the 2010 NFL Draft, but from a pure football standpoint, he needed another year to develop and mature. Snead struggled as a decision-maker, had a tendency to force the football down the field and really seemed to press as the season went on. As a result, his accuracy was less than impressive and he looked like a shell of the quarterback we saw a year ago. Now, on the bright side, Snead is one of the few quarterbacks in the draft with a big-time NFL-caliber skill set. However, as of now I can’t grade him out any higher than a developmental type guy who has the physical capabilities to mature into a starter. But he needs time to reach his potential.

continued...

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 pm

These guys leaving aren't making a smart move. All this talk about rookie salary cap is going to effect the top ten picks the most. These younger players are getting bad advice. So declare for the draft and get drafted in the 4th round, when if you stayed for at least one year you could've upgraded your stock to a 2nd, maybe 1st round pick.

Only the top notch blue chippers, that are "locks" to be top ten picks should declare, otherwise why not go back to school to improve your draft stock and money.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Prime example for guys that should've declared. Sam Bradford and Jermaine Gresham. Bradford might have been the picked 1 overall. Gresham would've been the best TE in the draft. Pettigrew was drafted in the first round so that tells me that Gresham would've probably been picked there instead of.

These 2 were guys that were all over media outlets as 1st round guys, but they stayed in school and both got hurt. Bradford could still get drafted in the first round this year, but Gresham is going to have to tear it up at the combine to get into the first rd again IMO.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Early entry juniors: Part III
by Wes Bunting
January 11, 2010

• Texas safety Earl Thomas has decided to throw his name into the ring for the NFL Draft after just finishing his redshirt sophomore campaign. Thomas is cashing in at a good time since he’s coming off a phenomenal 2009 season in which he led the Longhorns in interceptions and consistently displayed a knack for making the big play. He combines an impressive combination of fluidity, instincts and closing range in coverage and does a great job diagnosing plays quickly and getting early jumps on the football. So does all that add up to him being a top-10/15 pick on draft day? Probably not. Thomas has two things going against him that will likely keep him from being a high first-round pick.

continued...