Just got OBJ great move right?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Just got OBJ great move right?

Postby knotts4372 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:25 am

i been in every type of league and a rookie with 10 games experience going for 3 1sts has and never would happen in a single league i been in. even if it was evans or sammy watkins they just arent worth 3 1sts. especially with 2 of them being early/mid 1sts
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

Diti51
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Diti51 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:50 am

Tend to lie somewhere in middle. I would bet you could have dealt 2 of those 1st round picks for OBJ straight up if you waited for regular season hype (appropriate, but still hype) to wear off and the augmenting value of picks after the combine/draft as your respective rookie draft draws closer.

I think picks can be overvalued, but if you have a few guys you love in this draft, then no way would deal for OBJ. All depends on your perspective and personal assessment of player(s).

I personally wouldn't deal 3 first rounders for a rookie WR. OBJ does look special, but more mouths to feed next year and we have seen players flash year one and then tail off afterwards. You are definitely buying him at the peak of price. I look at dynasty like the stock market; sell high and try to buy low.

I did deal a 1st and a 2nd round pick for Gronk straight up. But i am in a TE gets 1.5 ppt versus standard 1 pt ppr and Gronk is clearly a level above others at his position and has done it more than one season. Funny how different each league is in their value assessment of picks, etc. One of most interesting and educational pieces of this forum is to hear how other leagues perceive different scenarios.

Good luck.
Team 1- Friday Night Lights
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/K/D
http://www63.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/14805#0
QB: Mahomes/Mayfield/Levis
RB: Jonathan Taylor/Singletary/Allgier/Ty Chandler/Bigsby/AGibson
WR: Garret Wilson/Nico Collins/Diontae Johnson/Mi Williams/Marquise Brown/Zay Flowers
TE: Goeddert/Njoku/Ferguson/Harrison Bryant

Team 2 - Good Life
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/2FLEX/K/D
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/58823#0
QB: Josh Allen/Dobbs
RB: Jon Taylor/Roschon Johnson/JK Dobbins/Ty Chandler
WR: Diggs/Lockett/Diontae Johnson/Pittman/Elijah Moore/Jayden Reed/Wandale Robinson
TE: Ferguson/Okwonkwo/Juwan Johnson/Tucker Kraft/Ruckert

Team 3 - WFL
12 tm dynasty superflex, PPR, 26 man roster salary cap - no K/DST
QB: Fields/TLawrence/Zach Wilson/Mills
RB: Gibson/Chandler
WR: ACooper/Lockett/Godwin/Rashee Rice/Josh Downs/Mingo/Elijah Moore/WRobinson
TE: Goeddert/Trautman/Brevin Jordan

Chandler Bing
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Chandler Bing » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:38 am

I will take OBJ over three mid to late 1st's

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:31 am

Three 1sts for OBJ is not a steal. It's good value for both sides.

I wouldn't pay three 1sts for OBJ, but I understand why someone would.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:24 am

Today, you won the trade since you know for a fact you have a stud for years to come.

Long-term? Who knows. There doesn't seem to be a great consensus as to how this draft works out. It's RB heavy and does have some interesting WR's. It could end up being Dorial Green-Beckham, Kevin White and Ameer Abdullah for Beckham, which is interesting to say the least.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:27 am

MEuRaH wrote:Three 1sts for OBJ is not a steal. It's good value for both sides.

Exactly this.

It's a good trade for you; but the guy receiving the 3 1st round picks could just as easily turn that into 3 studs. It could end up a big loss for you in the long-run, but I do think you win short term.. for now.

I think it's a fair value trade for both sides; albeit more than I would pay for OBJ.

Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Thedude30 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:14 am

PhadedCN wrote:
MEuRaH wrote:Three 1sts for OBJ is not a steal. It's good value for both sides.

Exactly this.

It's a good trade for you; but the guy receiving the 3 1st round picks could just as easily turn that into 3 studs. It could end up a big loss for you in the long-run, but I do think you win short term.. for now.

I think it's a fair value trade for both sides; albeit more than I would pay for OBJ.
I totally get people thinking this is a fair trade, and I wouldn't denounce anyone taking the 3 picks. You very well could get a stud or two. 2014 draft? Three guys being drafted in that range for OBJ would be hard for me to do. I just look in past drafts and can't help notice the risk is pretty good that you won't find three studs. In my mind, I don't take the risk on three somewhat unknowns and go for the lower risk, a WR who really has looked like a special player. Of course, this is his rookie year and he could regress next year. Maybe a "steal" isn't the right way of saying this, but I wouldn't hesitate to take OBJ over those picks. To each their own! I enjoy seeing the discussions and different peoples side of things, and I do learn things from these. I just get frustrated when one knocks others for opinions or thoughts, rather than discuss, and I see it a lot on these forums.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:02 pm

I think that is fair price.
I don't think I would pay it but I could certainly see both sides.

I sold OBJ earlier this season for 2 mid-late 1sts in a superflex league. I also ended up with the 1.01 because I sold him so you could say I traded OBJ and 1.04-.06 for 1.01, 1.07 and 1.10
I think I would have been fine keeping him but it was a team I took over this spring so I wanted to do a major wipe and reset and my best draft pick in 2014 (1.12 fwiw) helped me turn it around faster I made a deal to facilitate it.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I wouldn't call paying 3 first round picks for a rookie wr who is in an unsustainably good situation (and bound to regress) a steal. I'd call it a slight overpay and a trade that was ill timed. Like mentioned earlier, had u waited, you could have likely got a deal done with 2 picks. You got your guy though. You paid premium price for a kid who has 10 -11 games total under his belt. - not a steal. Slight over pay and quite smart to sell OBJ for that. It's become clear that OBJ has huge value to many right now and is a sell as people seem ready to pay whatever it takes.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:33 pm

glad to see more opinions coming in that tend to lean toward exactly what i said before. hope is rekindled
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

Hankmoody
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Hankmoody » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:26 pm

thedude30 wrote:
knotts4372 wrote:to say its a steal makes that dude look dumb as hell. its def not a steal not even close to it. its a decent trade for both teams likely but no way is 3 1sts for him a steal for you as someone said. i see why you did it but yeah
2013 you may have grabbed, Zac Stacy, C Patterson, or Markus Wheaton with those picks. All being picked within the 1.06, 1.07, and 1.11 range. You wanna trade me OBJ for those three? Eddie Lacy dropped that low, which is a good pic, but there was also Jonathan Fraklin. So yeah, OBJ and his over 1k yards and 11 TDs in 11 games as a rookie isn't a steal when compared to three picks that could or couldn't work out. 2014 draft was an anomaly, not many draft years will be like it.
Or you might have grabbed Le'Veon Bell, DeAndre Hopkins,and EJ Manuel, the verbatim picks in my league. Even with the Manuel bust this is a home run. This isn't a horrible trade at all, and I would do it every single time.

Statutony
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Statutony » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:26 pm

In two of my leagues last year that would have gotten you:

Hopkins, Bell, Keenan

&

Ball, Patterson & Eifert.

Obviously the first one is the obvious winner and the second would probably be a easy pass (though all those players to have some upside).

This its easy to make a case when you cherry pick. I tend to agree that this might be a slight overpay imo but mostly I think this is the wrong time to ship those picks. That to me is the biggest issue.

I do love me some ODB though so I can't fault anyone for doing what it takes to get a player that they covet.

knuckles50
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby knuckles50 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:28 pm

As a general rule, I am very hesitant to trade a rookie who has a huge breakout season. However, ODB has produced on a level not seen since Randy Moss. 3 1st is a haul but give me Beckham.
Team 1
12 team, 1/2 ppr 1 qb, 2 rbs, 3 wr, 1 flex, 1 te
QBs-Brees,Luck,Bridgewater
RBs- LeVeon,Ingram,R. Freeman,Thompson,Riddick,Conner,Walton,J. Jackson,Dixon
WRs- Evans,A Rob,Parker,Hurns,Sutton,Pettis,Moncrief,Treadwell,Sanu,Tavon,Dorsett,Carroo
TEs- Gronk,Kittle,Butt

Team 2
12 team 1 qb, 2rbs,v 3wrs, 1te
Qbs- Brees,Cam,Cousins,Jackson
Rbs- Gurley,Zeke,Kamara,McCaffery,Hunt,Shady
Wrs-A. Brown,Evans,C. Davis,Watkins,Goodwin,Woods,Washington,Treadwell,Jordy
Te- Gronk,Kittle,ASJ