Matthew Stafford Thread - Year 13 Rejuvenated in LA?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
stapel0
Starter
Starter

Re: Stafford

Postby stapel0 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:11 am

What has Calvin Johnson ever done without Stafford? Calvin Johnson's stat line really show the greatness of Stafford. Take out all Stafford's work and Calvin averages less than 1 fantasy point per game!

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:25 am

stapel0 wrote:What has Calvin Johnson ever done without Stafford? Calvin Johnson's stat line really show the greatness of Stafford. Take out all Stafford's work and Calvin averages less than 1 fantasy point per game!
That's not true. Calvin was Calvin in 2007, 2008, and 2010 (Stafford only three games in 2010). Stafford has only two career games without Calvin:
14 for 33, 168 yards, 0 TD, 1 Int, 1 rush TD
25 for 40, 262 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int

However, all that being said, Stafford is a great fantasy QB. There, I said it. I managed to accept that Cam Newton is a great fantasy QB last year (even though I doubted him again coming into this season)... I can accept Stafford is as well. Still wouldn't be super happy with either of them at the helm of my real NFL team, but I'll take them on my fantasy squad.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:38 am

dm1129 wrote:Take away Calvin Johnson's production and Stafford's stat line was 19-34 159 0TDs and 2 INTs. Today was an exhibition of Calvin's brilliance, not Stafford's.
Brees is the only guy I can think of that has had big success without great players around him (before Jimmy Graham). But he had a lot of decent players and a great coach. Brady puts up numbers if he has the guys, Manning has always had at least 1 HoFer to throw to and always a ton of talent. Numbers at qb are highly related to the guys around you and the offensive system.

I do admit that Stafford was bad last year though. He's clearly impoved and matured in my eyes this year. I've been a big supporter and felt he never should have been outside of the top 5 dynasty qbs. I love having a young qb who is going to play with the best wr in the game for a long time. Add a better TE and a solid wr2 and they'd be unstoppable.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:40 am

The throw Stafford made to Durham on the fake spike TD score drive was probably his best ball all day. That was an elite clutch throw.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:02 am

I still don't get those earlier statements...what the heck does he have to do? Go 20/20 400 3TDs every week of the season without Calvin to finally get props from some people? That final drive was a thing of beauty. Very impressive. Last year, I would have been waiting for that costly interception or drop.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:23 am

WZA wrote:
You're right. Guess we should subtract all of Jerry Rice's yards and ads from Joe Montana and Steve Young. Those guys sucked! They obviously only benefited from playing with the greatest WR of all time. :crazy:
Montana and Young were outstanding throwing to receivers not named Jerry Rice....

Stafford is simply feeding the ball to Calvin even though he is constantly double or even triple-teamed. Calvin makes the catch because he is the most physically dominant/gifted receiver the NFL has ever seen and he is in his prime. We are witnessing something very special as football fans. To suggest that this is because of Stafford is simply ridiculous. I can think of at least a dozen or more QBs in the league that could achieve the same result with Calvin. Conversely, there is no other receiver capable of doing what Calvin is currently accomplishing.

Yesterday was an exhibition of Calvin's brilliance.

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:01 pm

dm1129 wrote:
WZA wrote:
You're right. Guess we should subtract all of Jerry Rice's yards and ads from Joe Montana and Steve Young. Those guys sucked! They obviously only benefited from playing with the greatest WR of all time. :crazy:
Montana and Young were outstanding throwing to receivers not named Jerry Rice....

Stafford is simply feeding the ball to Calvin even though he is constantly double or even triple-teamed. Calvin makes the catch because he is the most physically dominant/gifted receiver the NFL has ever seen and he is in his prime. We are witnessing something very special as football fans. To suggest that this is because of Stafford is simply ridiculous. I can think of at least a dozen or more QBs in the league that could achieve the same result with Calvin. Conversely, there is no other receiver capable of doing what Calvin is currently accomplishing.

I think you're alone on this one...

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 pm

dm1129 wrote:
WZA wrote:

What are your thought about Larry Fitzgerald? Arguably one of the best WRs in the game for a long time. How has he performed without a good QB? I'll answer that for you...Larry sucks.

WRs can't throw the ball to themselves. A WRs value is completely tied to the QB.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 pm

WZA wrote:
dm1129 wrote:
WZA wrote:

What are your thought about Larry Fitzgerald? Arguably one of the best WRs in the game for a long time. How has he performed without a good QB? I'll answer that for you...Larry sucks.

WRs can't throw the ball to themselves. A WRs value is completely tied to the QB.
WZA, I was just coming in to post the same EXACT thing. Larry Fitzgerald. But I can't tell if he's just trolling or serious about this. I hope he's trolling. Statements like this can cause serious harm to one's credibility. As if it's Stafford's fault he plays with Calvin.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Look at Calvin's career numbers. His best years have come with a healthy Matt Stafford. Calvin benefits from Stafford and Stafford benefits from Calvin. Same can be said with virtually every great QB-WR combo.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:44 pm

WZA wrote:Look at Calvin's career numbers. His best years have come with a healthy Matt Stafford. Calvin benefits from Stafford and Stafford benefits from Calvin. Same can be said with virtually every great QB-WR combo.
^^^^^This all day. Someone has to throw the ball and someone has to catch the ball. They are both playing very well right now. I'm very happy to have Stafford and wish I could get Calvin.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2-3, WR 3-4, TE 1

QB - CJ Stroud, Justin Fields, Matthew Stafford
RB - Breece Hall, Zach Charbonnet, Dameon Pierce, D'Onta Foreman, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Garrett Wilson, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Nico Collins, Christian Watson, Jameson Williams, Michael Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marquise Brown
TE - Cole Kmet, Luke Schoonmaker, Darren Waller, Jelani Woods
Picks - 1.02, 1.09, 2.02, 4.02 -- All 2025 Picks

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:29 pm

WZA wrote:
dm1129 wrote:
WZA wrote:

If you think Larry Fitzgerald is Calvin Johnson, more power to you. Completely different type of players.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 pm

WZA wrote:Look at Calvin's career numbers. His best years have come with a healthy Matt Stafford. Calvin benefits from Stafford and Stafford benefits from Calvin. Same can be said with virtually every great QB-WR combo.
Again, Calvin could be teamed up with at least a dozen other QBs currently in the league and have the same results. Stafford simply throwing the ball to a double/triple teamed receiver and have it end with consistently good results will only happen with Calvin at this level of success.....

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:19 pm

If you go back and watch the tape, Stafford doesn't "constantly" throw to a doubled and triple-teamed Calvin. Are there a few times each game, yes. But to deny that Stafford is at all responsible for ANY success that Calvin has is rediculous. Stafford fell into a lot of bad habits last year and had fantasy owners frustrated. He's clearly cleaned some of those things up and has regained the confidence of many who had him in their top 5 dynasty QB rankings. Sounds like pure hating here with very little sound argument.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Yea dm1129, just admit you don't like Stafford, it seems pretty obvious.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2-3, WR 3-4, TE 1

QB - CJ Stroud, Justin Fields, Matthew Stafford
RB - Breece Hall, Zach Charbonnet, Dameon Pierce, D'Onta Foreman, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Garrett Wilson, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Nico Collins, Christian Watson, Jameson Williams, Michael Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marquise Brown
TE - Cole Kmet, Luke Schoonmaker, Darren Waller, Jelani Woods
Picks - 1.02, 1.09, 2.02, 4.02 -- All 2025 Picks