Marlon Brown worth owning?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jimmy Graham Cracker
MVP
MVP

Re: Marlon Brown worth owning?

Postby Jimmy Graham Cracker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:10 pm

He should have a decent game. Haden will be all over Smith and if Marlon Brown can even do 75% of what Brian Hartline (!) did v.s. the Browns, his value will go up.

Purple Pride
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Purple Pride » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm hitting myself because I had him then dropped him for Osweiler when someone dropped him before week one, now Marlon seems untradeable by the new owner.

Darn
12 Team,PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1PK, 1DT+DE, 1LB, 1CB+S, 1DEF Size: 25 players (29 offseason), 4 Taxi, 2 IR
QB: G Minshew, T Bridgewater, J Stidham
RB: J White, D Johnson T. Coleman, P Barber, K Ballage, M Brown, R Anderson, J.K, Dobbins [TS], D Swift [TS]
WR: O Beckham, A.J Brown, K Allen, T Hilton, M Williams, C Samuel, A Miller, P Campbell, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, A Lazard
TE: R Gronkowski, D Waller, M Gesicki, B Jarwin
PK: M Prater DE: D Hunter LB: J Schobert S: H Smith DEF: Ravens Draft Picks 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4
2017 League Champions; 2018, 2016 Third Place

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Just traded Slowshon Moreno to the Hillman owner for Marlon Brown and a small chunk of FAAB dollars.

Let's go Brown! :thumbup:

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:Just traded Slowshon Moreno to the Hillman owner for Marlon Brown and a small chunk of FAAB dollars.

Great move.

I actually TRADED Marlon Brown (and PIerre Thomas) for Kenny Stills (and Zach Ertz). Not that I don't like Brown, I love him. But I have Colston and I see Stills as the perfect long term handcuff for Colston. Stills is oozing with upside too.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 pm

So who can Marlon favorably be compared to with his skill set? NFL.com says David Nelson. Ravens forums are saying Colston. His measurables say something similar to DX. Thoughts here?

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:59 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:So who can Marlon favorably be compared to with his skill set? NFL.com says David Nelson. Ravens forums are saying Colston. His measurables say something similar to DX. Thoughts here?
Size wise, he's somewhat similar to Colston (Colston is a little thicker, same height) and almost identical to DX. I don't know exactly how fast Brown is, but I can't imagine he's as fast as a healthy DX, who was very fast for his height.

Colston is a decent comparison simply because he was a very late round pick and ended up obviously making a big impact in the NFL, which is what we are of course hoping for out of Brown. But I don't know if their skill sets are the same. Colston was always a beast going over the middle, which we have yet to see out of Brown. I have my doubts that he's going to be capable of doing that as well as Colston has.

I know it's a horrendous comparison, but thinking of guys with a similar physical build that play in a similar manner, I think of AJG. Now obviously AJG is faster, more talented, etc... I'm just saying that from the limited amount of exposure I've had to Brown, he seems to be a tall, semi-lanky outside receiver with some deep threat capabilities that doesn't tend to go over the middle much. We'll see if that holds true as we get more tape on him.

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:24 pm

PurpleHaze wrote:
holy_stromboli wrote:Just traded Slowshon Moreno to the Hillman owner for Marlon Brown and a small chunk of FAAB dollars.

Great move.

I actually TRADED Marlon Brown (and PIerre Thomas) for Kenny Stills (and Zach Ertz). Not that I don't like Brown, I love him. But I have Colston and I see Stills as the perfect long term handcuff for Colston. Stills is oozing with upside too.
I don't like handcuffing WR's but you should have traded for Toon if you wanted Colston's handcuff.

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Purple Pride wrote:I'm hitting myself because I had him then dropped him for Osweiler when someone dropped him before week one, now Marlon seems untradeable by the new owner.

Darn
I'm kicking myself for not picking him up the night of the 3rd preseason game thinking I could grab him the next day.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:14 am

DYNOmite wrote:
PurpleHaze wrote:

Great move.

I don't like handcuffing WR's but you should have traded for Toon if you wanted Colston's handcuff.
Why do you say that? Toon is actually on the ww. I think Stills clearly beat out Toon in preseason.

Purple Pride
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Purple Pride » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm

DYNOmite wrote:
Purple Pride wrote:I'm hitting myself because I had him then dropped him for Osweiler when someone dropped him before week one, now Marlon seems untradeable by the new owner.

Darn
I'm kicking myself for not picking him up the night of the 3rd preseason game thinking I could grab him the next day.

That was basically my same thing, I saw he did good that day said I would pick hum up first thing in the morning. Woke up looked at my phone and saw a message that said he was picked up a 2:00 am....errrrr
12 Team,PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1PK, 1DT+DE, 1LB, 1CB+S, 1DEF Size: 25 players (29 offseason), 4 Taxi, 2 IR
QB: G Minshew, T Bridgewater, J Stidham
RB: J White, D Johnson T. Coleman, P Barber, K Ballage, M Brown, R Anderson, J.K, Dobbins [TS], D Swift [TS]
WR: O Beckham, A.J Brown, K Allen, T Hilton, M Williams, C Samuel, A Miller, P Campbell, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, A Lazard
TE: R Gronkowski, D Waller, M Gesicki, B Jarwin
PK: M Prater DE: D Hunter LB: J Schobert S: H Smith DEF: Ravens Draft Picks 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4
2017 League Champions; 2018, 2016 Third Place

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 pm

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet (might have missed it), but Aaron Mellette was placed on IR a couple days ago with a knee injury as well. Not that Brown didn't already have a much clearer path to starting than Mellette, but there's even less competition now. As for right now, there's Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown, and not a whole lot else to be concerned with as far as outside receivers are concerned.

Who knows what the future holds for this kid, but the present looks very promising. He's going to potentially be very fantasy viable starting right about now.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Water Buffalo wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet (might have missed it), but Aaron Mellette was placed on IR a couple days ago with a knee injury as well. Not that Brown didn't already have a much clearer path to starting than Mellette, but there's even less competition now. As for right now, there's Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown, and not a whole lot else to be concerned with as far as outside receivers are concerned.

Who knows what the future holds for this kid, but the present looks very promising. He's going to potentially be very fantasy viable starting right about now.
Rooting for the guy but I don't know how viable the Baltimore passing offense is for fantasy. I don't see the no.2 as a consistent or very productive spot, Brown can be better than Jones but Jones' role never excited anyone to begin with. We'll see.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

RGKID144
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby RGKID144 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:38 am

I picked him up a few days before the season started because I saw the potential in opportunity. However, I began reading alot about his college days, etc and I cut bait because he has one serious laundry list of injuries. And serious injuries at that. It seems like He has never played a full season of football.

So I ended up dropping him to grab someone else.

However, after his week 1 game, I rewaivered him for 16 waiver dollars(which is annoying). I think he is going to provide some serious starting viability this week and weeks to come. The only problem is I don't think he will stay healthy, and that concerns me. I really like him as a spot start for the time being. An excellent spot start, just not a fan of his long term outlook. I think he plays well, gets hurt again, and then Baltimore and Co looks elsewhere for another WR for 2014, and Marlon never hits the ground running again.
Entering year ten of Dynasty 10 team 2QB/2RB/4WR/1TE/1FLEX(rb/wr/te).

QB: Bryce Young, Jared Goff, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Stetson Bennett.
WR: Garret Wilson, Devonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Odell Beckham, Treylon Burks, Zay Flowers, Curtis Samuel, Dyami Brown, Kenny Golladay.
RB: Bijan Robinson, Cam Akers, Antonio Gibson, Donta Foreman, Michael Carter, James Robinson, Dontrell Hilliard.
TE: Evan Engram, David Njoku, Trey McBride, Matt LaPorta Jelani Woods, Bob Tonyan.

RichDynastyFB
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RichDynastyFB » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:14 am

RGKID144 wrote:I picked him up a few days before the season started because I saw the potential in opportunity. However, I began reading alot about his college days, etc and I cut bait because he has one serious laundry list of injuries. And serious injuries at that. It seems like He has never played a full season of football.

So I ended up dropping him to grab someone else.

However, after his week 1 game, I rewaivered him for 16 waiver dollars(which is annoying). I think he is going to provide some serious starting viability this week and weeks to come. The only problem is I don't think he will stay healthy, and that concerns me. I really like him as a spot start for the time being. An excellent spot start, just not a fan of his long term outlook. I think he plays well, gets hurt again, and then Baltimore and Co looks elsewhere for another WR for 2014, and Marlon never hits the ground running again.
Looking at your RB lineup in your sig, and given your opinion of Brown, I'd be shopping him for a RB while the hype is there.
10 Team-1 PPR -1 pt/10 yd rush/rec-4 pt pass TD-6 pt Rush TD-2 pt/tackle-6 pt/sack-8 pt Int.
Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2-3WR, 1-2 TE, 1PK, 2 DT/DE, 2LB, 2 CB/S

2014 League Champion

QB Cam Newton, Teddy Bridgewater
RB Le'Veon Bell, Justin Forsett, Giovanni Bernard, Theo Riddick
WR Keenan Allen, Jordy Nelson, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Dontae Moncrief, Marqise Lee,Davante Adams, Brandon LaFell, Allen Hurns, Kenny Stills
TE Rob Gronkowski, Greg Olsen, Delanie Walker
PK Mason Crosby
DE Jurrell Casey, Fletcher Cox
LB Lavonte David, Chris Borland
CB/S Kemal Ismael, H Smith,Robert Blanton, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

verbalkint
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby verbalkint » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:11 pm

what is his value long term, as compared to the likes of Woods, wheaton, patton types? Seems he has more immediate value, but will his immediate playing time allow him to prove long term worth?
QB-Wilson, Tannehill, RGIII
RB-Hyde, Spiller, Vereen, Mckinnon, Davis, Allen
WR- Nelson, OBJ, Hopkins, Cooks, Watkins, Robinson, K.White, Parker, Agholor
TE- Eifert, Rudolph, L.Green
10 team .5ppr qb,rb,rb,wr,wr,te,flex,flex