IDP - an opinionated and bias overview for beginners

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: IDP - an opinionated and bias overview for beginners

Postby MR ROURKE » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 pm

bump for those entering IDP this year.

I'd give it a sticky to help people out, but I can't seem to locate that for some reason :confused:

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Going to check this out tonight, after work. Thanks.

BAMtastic
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BAMtastic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:52 am

Still all valid points Mr. Rouke thanks for the bump!

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Tue May 13, 2014 1:18 pm

bump

WhyB
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby WhyB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:38 pm

Great post for the new comer to idp that I am.
Thank you.

ledrewt05
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ledrewt05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 am

Great info!

I'm in a 12 team, 32 player .5 PPR DYNASTY, (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1OP) and IDP (3LB/3DB/2DL) plus DP. 14 Bench and 4 IR.

QB only get 3 for a TD. WR and RB get 1 for every 10 yds so seems to be a higher value on WR's.

IDP seems standard (4-sack, 5-int, 1-forced fum, .5-asst tack, 1.5-solo, 4-passes defended)

Most if not all the rankings I've seen are based on about half of the IDP that are in my pool.

Can someone give advice or direction as to where I can find a ranking list based on my numbers above?

ginganinjaKB
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ginganinjaKB » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Thank you great read

12 Team Start 2QB 1HB 1WR 2TE 4FLEX 3DL 3LB 4DB 1FLEX
Brees Rodgers Trubisky Haskins
Kamara Gordon Gurley Carson Howard Penny Richard
Hopkins Landry Sanders Baldwin Benjamin Crabtree Ellington Gordon
Ertz Kittle OJ Howard Walker Knox Oliver
Donald Bosa Campbell Snacks Hughes Hunt Yannick Gary Ferguson
Martinez Alexander Whitehead Schobert Reddick Campbell
Collins Budda Jefferson Apple Bell Nelson Vaccaro Hooker Jefferson

20 Team Start 1QB 3HB 4WR 2TE 1FLEX 1SF 3DL 4LB 4DB Major Rebuild
Watson
Miller Martin JWilliams
Evans Landry Fuller Pettis Humphries Ginn Roberts
Engram
Buckner
Shaq
Bell Lattimore Alexander Slay

24 Team Start 2QB 2HB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Baker Allen Jackson
Gordon K Jonhson Freeman K Drake Hines Edwards
Julio Cooper Thielen Edelman Benjamin Chark Parker Snead Richardson
Kelce Hooper Hurst Williams

AS3Dynasty
Role Player
Role Player

Postby AS3Dynasty » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:19 am

Awesome read. Thank you!

Quick question for the IDP guys. What is the best way to judge matchups? For a LB, do I just want to play against a run-heavy team? Am I looking for a matchup against a GOOD offense, so my IDP is on the field more, thus increasing the volume of plays/tackles/etc.? I understand you start your studs, regardless, but can someone explain identifying good matchups in IDP?

Thanks in advance!
Team 1 - 10 Team, PPR, IDP, Year 2
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, 2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB
QB: Ryan, Palmer
RB: Gurley, Gordon, Hill, Gio, Spiller, Mason
WR: Julio, AJG, BMarsh, Cooks, JBrown, Wallace, Quick, Crowder, Huff
TE: Gates, Julius, Ladarius, Watson
K: Prater
LB: Bowman, Shazier, Posluszny
DL: Quinn, Hardy
DB: Chancellor, Talib, Norman
IR: JGordon, Fowler, Zenner

Team 2 - 10 Team, PPR, IDP-Tackle Heavy, Year 2
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, 1 LB, 1 DL, 1 DB
QB: Tanny, Kaep, Bradford
RB: Foster, Hill, Yeldon, Abdullah, Duke, Bell, Blue, Mason
WR: AJG, Alshon, Floyd, Quick, Perriman, Dorsett, Huff, Conley, Woods, DSmith, Latimer, Coleman
TE: Reed, Rudolph, Watson
K: Bailey
LB: Ogletree, Telvin
DL: ABailey
DB: Cyprien
IR: Jordy, JGordon, DCobb

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:15 am

For the different NFL schemes, could you give a nutshell breakdown what types of players are good/bad for each scheme type? That would be really useful.

johnnydes
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby johnnydes » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:39 pm

This was very helpful - thank you!
10 Team Dynasty: Roster 19; .5 PPR SuperFlex; K/PR yds; 4/6pt P/R.TD; Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1OP 1DST
QB: Luck; Bridgewater
RB: Gurley; Rawls; Abdullah; Ellington; Crowell;
WR: AJ Green; A. Robinson; S. Watkins; B. Cooks; D. Parker; Moncrief; Strong;
TE: J. Thomas; M. Williams

aticodejon
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby aticodejon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 am

Brilliant, thanks for this!
14 team Full PPR scoring 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1R/W/T, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1IDP, 10Bench, 1IR
QB- J.Goff / B.Mayfield
RB- D.Cook / J.Mixon / A.Jones / K.Johnson / J.McKinnon / D.Guice
WR- M.Thomas / K.Allen / M.Evans / C.Sutton / D.Parker / A.Callaway
TE- E.Engram / C.Herndon
k- W.Lutz
DL- C.Jones
LB- B.Wagner / A.Williamson / J.Schobert
DB- K.Byard / J.Reid / J.Johnson / K.Neal

goggleface
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby goggleface » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:46 am

Excellent read, thank you

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue May 19, 2020 9:22 am

IDP 101. Pay attention to which D player wears the green dot. This is the D player calling the plays, and the reason he has the helmet with the green dot is that is the helmet with the remote communication capability with the sideline (the radio helmet). That’s the guy who is on the field in all situations (a 3 down D player). He’s going to get a lot more opportunities than some other D players, and he’s a vital cog in the D.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 am

AS3Dynasty wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:19 am Awesome read. Thank you!

Quick question for the IDP guys. What is the best way to judge matchups? For a LB, do I just want to play against a run-heavy team? Am I looking for a matchup against a GOOD offense, so my IDP is on the field more, thus increasing the volume of plays/tackles/etc.? I understand you start your studs, regardless, but can someone explain identifying good matchups in IDP?

Thanks in advance!
Generally, teams that have poor offenses tend to have IDP players that score a more. If a team’s O can’t stay on the field, the D will end up getting a lot of opportunities because they are on the field more, if sheer talent is not the deciding factor.

Running teams tend to have better Ds. That’s counterintuitive to the point in the paragraph above, because running teams tend to do better in time of possession. However, in today’s NFL that has rules slanted to enhance passing, teams that choose to run on a higher percentage of plays also tend to build their Ds stronger. They don’t want to get into track meets and so they focus on better Ds, plus some of these running teams aren’t burning a higher proportion of their salary cap on higher paid O players like top of the line QBs and WRs, so they can afford better D players.

Having your guys play against running teams can be a real blessing for LBs, SSs, and DLs. Just watch your OLBs - if they are light and built for pass rush (Clay Matthews type players) then they may get swamped taking on run heavy teams who will be trying to exploit them getting OTs and pulling guards out on them who will physically overmatch them.

Starting your D players against high scoring Os can be a mixed blessing, so watch average time of possession or average number of O plays run instead of average points scored by your D players’ opponents. High scoring Os do that by sustaining drives or by striking quickly. You want your Ds players playing against teams that sustain drives - they run a lot of plays. You don’t want your D players up against a quick strike team - they may put up big plays, meaning they get off the field quickly and don’t run as many plays. However, if you have D players that play on a team that has a quick strike O, that can be great because the D players are on the field a lot more, and on top of that the opposing O can be stressed into making more mistakes.

Look for LBs who have strong interior D linemen in front of them. Those beasts up front gobble up blockers, freeing up your LBs to make a lot of tackles. Look for SSs who have weaker LBs in front of them. LBs getting blocked out of plays or missing tackles can provide SSs to fill their stat sheet with tackles.

Watch out for DEs on 3-4 teams, especially those bigger DEs who can anchor the end of the D line. Those guys are great football players who also are pretty rare, but they also tend to get double teamed by blockers a lot on both run and pass plays, so they lose opportunities while they are tangled up with multiple O linemen.

Look for Ss on 2 deep teams. Those Ss tend to get a lot of tackle opportunities, and neither guy will be put in centerfield a long way from the line very often. Some of those 2 deep teams cheat their Ss in on passing downs when they go to nickel coverage too, so there can be sack opportunities.

Look for DTs that flex out to DE on passing downs, but avoid DEs that get flexed inside on passing downs. Look for CBs who love to run support (a lot of them don’t). They rack up nice numbers by adding tackles on RBs to their coverage tackles, passes defended, and INTs.

And always. Always. Always. Look to have the guy with the green dot on your roster. There are only 32 of them in the league, and the ones on good Ds tend to be very valuable (and they aren’t always MLBs).