"Plodding" along

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: "Plodding" along

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:56 pm

TheOracle wrote:He's never been a plodder. People here are uncharacteristically low on him here and I don't know why.
This is why, ha:
TheOracle wrote:If you would have gotten a turkey sandwich and a handy for Mendenhall it would have been a steal.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

shivs
Captain
Captain

Postby shivs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 am

Mangelo wrote:6 carries for 6 yards is the definition "plodding" along. Go ahead and blame it on the play call, but mendy is a 230 lb back, he should be better at getting the tough yards up the middle.
6 carries is a pretty small sample size.
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

12 Tm, nonPPR, kr's, IDP. QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, K, DL, LB, DB, DL/LB/DB
QB: P. Manning, Glennon, Palmer, Freeman
RB: Peterson, Rice, R. Bush, J. Bell, Pierce, Cunningham
WR: A. Johnson, J. Nelson, Fitzgerald, M. Austin, M. Jones, Givens, Hartline, Wayne (IR)
TE: Graham, Gates, Bostick, Hill
K: Novak
DL: Quinn, Wake
LB: Laurinaitis, Posluszny, Washington
DB: Barron

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 am

steelman wrote:
ericanadian wrote:
georg013 wrote:Mangelo, do you honestly believe the Steelers would let him go considering what they just went through with Dwyer and Redman (ineffective ground game)? Is he in the same class as Rice, Foster, or McCoy? No. Talented? Not too difficult to acknowledge.
In fairness, Dwyer looked fine until he ended up with turf toe.
I couldn't disagree more. He looked downright awful. Slow, no explosiveness and no lateral quickness. Awful
Steelman, did you watch the game last night? How'd you think Mendi looked? :rofl: :roflma:
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:45 am

CokeAndBacardi wrote:
TheOracle wrote:He's never been a plodder. People here are uncharacteristically low on him here and I don't know why.
This is why, ha:
TheOracle wrote:If you would have gotten a turkey sandwich and a handy for Mendenhall it would have been a steal.

Now.... this is good. Check frickin mate! :rockon:

Point blank - Mendenhall is not as good as some on the site are painting him to be. Regardless if you think the Steelers are going to use him "differently". He will be limited by their O-line still and... their playcalling. Not to mention the injuries - blown out knee late last year and now achillies issue - likely due to over compensating for previous knee injury. He probably isn't as bad as some (like me) think he is but he also isn't ever going to be a top 5 back and I'd go as far as saying he'll struggle to be a top 10 rb. Hence... mediocre. The term Plodder in my mind has always been used to describe a bigger back that doesn't have blazing speed, that usually needs high numbers of carries to be fantasy relevant. so yes.... I'm still going with plodder.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:56 am

JFever wrote:
CokeAndBacardi wrote:
This is why, ha:

Now.... this is good. Check frickin mate! :rockon:

Point blank - Mendenhall is not as good as some on the site are painting him to be. Regardless if you think the Steelers are going to use him "differently". He will be limited by their O-line still and... their playcalling. Not to mention the injuries - blown out knee late last year and now achillies issue - likely due to over compensating for previous knee injury. He probably isn't as bad as some (like me) think he is but he also isn't ever going to be a top 5 back and I'd go as far as saying he'll struggle to be a top 10 rb. Hence... mediocre. The term Plodder in my mind has always been used to describe a bigger back that doesn't have blazing speed, that usually needs high numbers of carries to be fantasy relevant. so yes.... I'm still going with plodder.
Ha. I wasn't going for check mate but it was pretty funny. I remembered someone using handy and turkey to describe what they'd take for Mendenhall, searched and found it was Oracle.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:22 am

Nice work though CokenBac. I'm not bashing anyone either. I don't mean any disrespect to the Mendi supporters. I realize it may have seemed that way. Sorry. I just find it a bit amuzing that we sometimes (myself included) get so excited over a team / player that we come to a conclusion so quickly (after a return from an injury) or (small sample size of data like one to a few games), then come out and do the "I called it and I was right and you were wrong", Or the "I told you so, I believed in player x the whole time while you and everyone else didn't". It strikes me as funny is all. Like all the guys saying they'd move C.Johnson for any offer they'd receive for him just to move him... C'mon. Lets be real.

I always have to remind myself to pump the breaks. After Mendi's last game, I was impressed, but needed to see more. Bottom line... we haven't yet seen more. He isn't an elite talent and never has been. He has a ceiling of a nice / serviceable rb2 or maybe a low end rb1 if the matchup is right, the o-line improves, and he gets healthy. BIG if though.

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 am

I thought he looked somewhat quick last night. Maybe not a plodder per se, but an underachiever for sure. And Dwyer is a better fit for that offense.

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:53 am

Mendenhall is the definition of an average talent, I think BJGE may be the only starting RB less sexy than Mendenhall. I have no idea what you people are watching if you think Mendenhall shows "great explosiveness, great lateral movement" etc. Thought I was reading descriptions of LeSean McCoy for a second there..

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am

Mangelo wrote:I thought he looked somewhat quick last night. Maybe not a plodder per se, but an underachiever for sure. And Dwyer is a better fit for that offense.

this ^

Mendi is not a "special talent" that is fairly clear. Dwyer is slowly but surely making a case to be "the" back to own there. He certainly has done the most with the opportunities. However - I'm not overly impressed with him either. He does have age, injury history on his side. Dwyer just isn't a sexy pick based on skill set. Best to avoid the whole mess.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm

JFever wrote:
Mangelo wrote:I thought he looked somewhat quick last night. Maybe not a plodder per se, but an underachiever for sure. And Dwyer is a better fit for that offense.

this ^

Mendi is not a "special talent" that is fairly clear. Dwyer is slowly but surely making a case to be "the" back to own there. He certainly has done the most with the opportunities. However - I'm not overly impressed with him either. He does have age, injury history on his side. Dwyer just isn't a sexy pick based on skill set. Best to avoid the whole mess.
It's weird though, because a I swear it looked like Dwyer was running in molasses, yet he seemed to bowl ahead for decent chunks of yardage.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:06 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:
JFever wrote:

this ^

It's weird though, because a I swear it looked like Dwyer was running in molasses, yet he seemed to bowl ahead for decent chunks of yardage.
Optical illusion. It was either the bumble bee jerseys or the pleats in the pants.

teal
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby teal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:22 pm

It's weird though, because a I swear it looked like Dwyer was running in molasses, yet he seemed to bowl ahead for decent chunks of yardage.[/quote]
Optical illusion. It was either the bumble bee jerseys or the pleats in the pants.[/quote]

^this...it's weird cause everytime I watch Dwyer I swear it's like he's the slowest guy on the field with absolutely no wiggle, but he routinely picks up 5-10 chunks of yardage. I'd love to see what he could do with 20-25 carries a game + goal line carries for a bit.
14-team dynasty (no cap/contracts), 20 man roster limit
1ppr, 4pt passing TD, 1pt/20 yds passing, -1 Int; all other TDs 6pts
Start: 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex(RB/WR/TE), K, DEF

QB:Stafford, Romo, Ponder
RB:Gore, B. Jacobs, Hunter, M. Morris, J. Ringer
WR:Nicks, Harvin, Manningham, Harry Douglas, Cecil Shorts, Greg Salas
TE:Gronk, J. Thomas
K: Gostkowski
DEF: Ravens
Draft picks:

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:57 pm

CokeAndBacardi wrote:
holy_stromboli wrote:
JFever wrote:
this ^

Optical illusion. It was either the bumble bee jerseys or the pleats in the pants.
If I was Leftwich, I'd be pissed. Not only does he have the difficult task of filling in for Ben, esp. without Antonio Brown, but now he has to locate his receivers wearing those atrocious unis which are a huuuge eyesore. :P