#1 Overall in a PPR 12 Dynasty League Who to Pick

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

#1 Overall Pick in a PPR Dynasty League

McFadden
59%
Stewart
15%
Mendenhall
26%

Total votes: 27

jhuntsville
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

#1 Overall in a PPR 12 Dynasty League Who to Pick

Postby jhuntsville » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:31 pm

I have #1 overall pick in draft in a 12 team dynasty league. It is a PPR league. I do not necessarily need production this year, (Start 2 RB + 1 WR/RB). Who is best pick long term McFadden, Stewart or Mendenhall.
QB - Phillip Rivers, Vince Young
RB - Adrian Petersen (Vikes), Reggie Bush, Earnest Graham
WR - Andre Johnson, Roddy White, DJ Hackett, Meacham, Jacoby Jones
TE - Cris Cooley
K- Akers
DEF - Cowboys, Eagles

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 pm

Long term Mendenhall no doubt.

RaidersWinBaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RaidersWinBaby » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:06 pm

I would personally try to trade down to 3 and get Mendenhall there. I agree with Steelersfan that he's the best prospect, but get I would get some value and trade down a spot or two for a nice young prospect or a pick.
QBs: Tony Romo, B. Roethlisberger, M. Vick
RBs: Frank Gore, C. Johnson, R. Mendenhall, J. Stewart, C. Benson
WRs: A. Johnson, G. Jennings, Santonio Holmes, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Braylon Edwards, Anthony Gonzalez
K: Gostkowski
D: Ravens, Cowboys

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:47 pm

There is a lot of "pro-Mendenhall" sentiment here on this board. It's interesting because on the other board I frequent there are a number of people who didn't have him in the top 3. In the end, I question whether we will get any real stud out of this deep class. All of them have questions either due to ability or situation. I favor McFadden, then Stewart.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

RaidersWinBaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RaidersWinBaby » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:01 pm

skip wrote:There is a lot of "pro-Mendenhall" sentiment here on this board. It's interesting because on the other board I frequent there are a number of people who didn't have him in the top 3. In the end, I question whether we will get any real stud out of this deep class. All of them have questions either due to ability or situation. I favor McFadden, then Stewart.
For this reason alone I would look at trading down, especially if someone is intent on grabbing McFadden. If folks got the chance to see both McFadden and Mendenhall run this past weekend and liked McFadden more, they need to get their eyes checked.
QBs: Tony Romo, B. Roethlisberger, M. Vick
RBs: Frank Gore, C. Johnson, R. Mendenhall, J. Stewart, C. Benson
WRs: A. Johnson, G. Jennings, Santonio Holmes, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Braylon Edwards, Anthony Gonzalez
K: Gostkowski
D: Ravens, Cowboys

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:26 pm

JStew....

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:40 pm

To me it's McFadden and it isn't even close.

There were people who were drafting Lynch over Peterson last year because of injury concerns. Same thing here. I don't know where the hate for the best RB in the nation has come from towards McFadden. But, some people over analyze players. McFadden is an elite play maker. There are a number of RBs that I like in this year's draft but none of them have the overall elite play making ability like McFadden does, not even the highly touted "potential one year wonder" Mendenhall.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:42 pm

And if there is one thing to learn from pre-season, it is to pay no attention to pre-season.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Steelersfan wrote:Long term Mendenhall no doubt.
Agreed. I like Mendenhall best out of the three...McFadden is third and I don't think he will be able to get it done on the NFL level. And please, let's not try to compare McFadden to Peterson/Lynch situation. The difference McFadden and Mendenhall isn't nearly as large as the gap between those two.

Trade down and snag Mendenhall while picking up someone else who can help your team.

cowboysfromhell
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cowboysfromhell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:16 am

If there is any doubt in your mind, I would suggest trading the pick like one of the previous posters stated. You could get a proven commodity to strengthen the team and McFadden might even fall to you. The fumble reports out of training camp won't help his value.

This year's RB class is deep with plenty of talent that might even produce nice stats starting in Wk 1. Ray Rice (who I've seen go in the late first and early second rounds of rookie drafts) is just example of that depth.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:47 am

You need to pick based on the best talent and there is no doubt that Run DMC is the best talent. His body of work in college is one of a kind. Drafting anybody else is a mistake.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:21 pm

Well, I'm glad we all agree... :lol:

lake3711
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lake3711 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:32 pm

I would take McFadden at #1. He is the guy that we've been talking about since his freshman year, and the odds of him being the highest ranked RB of the 3 next offseason are the best, which means he is the most valuable. You can argue this debate every which way, but McFadden is the best weapon. Although I don't know if he's an every down back plus goalline carries, he's an elite weapon and you shouldn't pass. If McFadden has the most value you should be able to trade him for Mendenhall and a 1st round pick, or something like that, if that's what you wish to do at that time.

I like Mendenhall slightly better than Stewart because I think he's more durable. Stewart's left ankle injury is chronic, unlike Peterson's college injuries. The recent news on the pain in Stewart's toe is not encouraging, it was supposed to be fully healed right now and it is not. It would not be good if he has 2 chronic injuries.

There seems to be a negative sentiment toward Mendenhall as lots of message boards and websites call him a bust. I don't know if he was entirely a 1 year wonder, although he was a one year starter. When he was the backup, he was still very productive and if you combine his college career rushing and recieving stats, he only falls short of Stewart by 100 yards. It's 3200 to 3100 or something like that. Stewart's issue was injuries and Mendenhall's issue was fumbles and backing up the team MVP, who rarely fumbled, but Rashard still averaged 8 yds. per carry that year.

Furthermore, NFLdraftscout.com compared Mendenhall to Cedric Benson, and then they sell their information through the sports xchange to nfl.com and other sites. Everybody that sees that wants to draw conclusions that Mendenhall is a bleep like Cedric Benson that doesn't work hard and doesn't like Football. Then we heard about Mendenhall being so frustrated with the coaching staff last summer that he almost quit football but his brother helped him refocus and just go out and play whether you like the coach or not. A lot of people want to draw the conclusion that Mendenhall is a bust b/c "one year starter" and "Cedric Benson comparison".

I agree that those are red flags, but from the information I have gathered through quotes from the coaching staff and scout.com, it seems like Mendenhall is a blue collar guy who shows up to work every day and tries to improve and learn and that he is very coachable. To me, those blue collar work ethic traits are what separates good running backs from the pack. The lack of those traits is what led to Benson's downfall. He might have been good if he actually cared, but obviously he did not want to lift a finger to help the team after he recieved his signing bonus.

Mendenhall will take a little while to develop, but if you have the patience or the depth, he should be worth it, just like any talented RB that plays in a great offense. If you are looking for more immediate results, maybe Stewart is your guy, but with the way Deangelo Williams looks running the ball right now, you can't be so sure about the immediate results.

1) McFadden
2) Mendenhall
3) Stewart

khrolltop
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby khrolltop » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:53 am

About Mendenhall only being a 1 year starter:
Barry Sanders was only a 1 year starter too. He also played behind a starter named Thomas. He also was very productive in his role as a backup.

tra151
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tra151 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:16 am

mcfadden, hands down
10 team dynasty ppr (1qb,2rb,3wr,1te,1k,1dst)
26 man roster
QB-Rodgers, Carr, Rudolph
RB-Mixon, Guice, Cohen, Drake, Dion Lewis, Damian Harris, Darwin Thompson, Mattison, Mostert, ADP
WR-Davante Adams, Tyreek, Golladay, AJ Green, Fitz, Josh Gordon, Westbrook, Robby Anderson, N’keal Harry
TE- Kittle, Jimmy Graham
NE DST Jax DST