Issues with Standard Scoring

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dlf_erich
MVP
MVP

Re: Issues with Standard Scoring

Postby dlf_erich » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 am

stevejdarling wrote:In order to score a TD (6 pts), a team has to advance 100 yards (call it 80 after the kickoff/punt)(8 pts). However those points are divvied up doesn't matter. Maybe 50 passing yards, 30 rushing yards, and they started on the 20. So for every 6 pt TD, there are roughly 8 pts awarded in rushing/receiving. I would say that is relatively even.
You're making the assumption that it's not a TD pass, in which case 11 points would be awarded for the score (5 passing, 6 receiving) vs 10 points for the yards (3 rushing, 2 passing, 5 receiving). Still seems skewed to me, but rational minds can differ.
Twitter: @EDH_27

dlf_erich
MVP
MVP

Postby dlf_erich » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:32 am

standard_variance wrote:
Cpiritual27 wrote: I don't believe TD's are as important as rushing (receiving) yards, and I don't believe they're as good an indicator of a player's all-around game. I am a believer that our scoring system rewards the player for his all-around game better than standard scoring does.
I will start off with this.... :cheers: :grouphug: ok now time to :duel:

But you should also realize that real NFL players arent playing to ultimately stop yards....so if you are relying on that heavily to measure ones abilities you should first admit that just like TD stats are inherently skewed so are yards.
I can obviously agree that the ultimate goal is to score a TD. It's just my personal opinion (and that of my league-mates) that what it takes to get there tells the bulk of the story, and the TD is merely the conclusion.
Twitter: @EDH_27

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 am

Cpiritual27 wrote:
standard_variance wrote:
Cpiritual27 wrote: I don't believe TD's are as important as rushing (receiving) yards, and I don't believe they're as good an indicator of a player's all-around game. I am a believer that our scoring system rewards the player for his all-around game better than standard scoring does.
I will start off with this.... :cheers: :grouphug: ok now time to :duel:

But you should also realize that real NFL players arent playing to ultimately stop yards....so if you are relying on that heavily to measure ones abilities you should first admit that just like TD stats are inherently skewed so are yards.
I can obviously agree that the ultimate goal is to score a TD. It's just my personal opinion (and that of my league-mates) that what it takes to get there tells the bulk of the story, and the TD is merely the conclusion.
Well then why not just award a bonus for different plateaus then? For every 25 yards you get an additional point.

So for example....20 yards= 2 points and 25 yards=3.5 points, 45 yards=5.5 points and 50 yards=7 points, 100 yards=14 points....that I think would be a better system than wrecklessly DOUBLING the rate in which yards are awarded points. Your perspective is interesting and my intention hasnt been to discourage it....but rather I just disagreed with the current system in place, and have been trying to figure out a better way to award points for yardage than to completely devalue touchdowns by inflating the value of yards. I think the system above is a good balance along with maybe awarding points for TD length as well. That would make for a very interesting league, and it might be more in line with how you weigh yards vs TD's
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am

This thread makes my head hurt :think: Then again I was never big on math, or numbers. Just seems like there is too much thought thats going into this. Obviously if you start up your own league you can do the scoring the way you see fit. But I don't see a huge problem with 100 yards being 10 points, a TD worth 6, and receptions worth 1. Of course you've got your backs who only catch a bunch of passes, and you also have your backs who are only goal line threats and score a bunch of TD's without anything else, or the runners who rack up yardage without TD's. There are a bunch of variables/scenarios/players that fit into different roles that give them some use at some times, they still aren't more valuable then your Arian Fosters', Lesean Mccoys', and that group, it just gives you something to think about in terms of who you can use in a pinch.

We need to realize that fantasy football is really random, fluky, and luck based. You don't need to break down a scoring formula into all these variables and try to figure out what they all mean IMO. TD hoarders as we know will have a 2 or 3 TD game, then nothing for 3 weeks after, a 3rd down RB will have a big game from garbage catches because they got down 20 points really fast, then nothing 3 weeks after. It's gonna happen. Those guys will have some weeks where they outscore a player who had more yards, and was utilized more.

I still think as a whole it'll all balance out. It's too hard to try and skew scoring down to a T and put so many fluky variables into the equation.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:35 am

Chris_R wrote:This thread makes my head hurt :think:
Like your muscles hurt after a vigorous workout... so does your brain. No pain no gain.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

DAG
Captain
Captain

Postby DAG » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Chris_R wrote:This thread makes my head hurt :think: Then again I was never big on math, or numbers. Just seems like there is too much thought thats going into this. Obviously if you start up your own league you can do the scoring the way you see fit. But I don't see a huge problem with 100 yards being 10 points, a TD worth 6, and receptions worth 1. Of course you've got your backs who only catch a bunch of passes, and you also have your backs who are only goal line threats and score a bunch of TD's without anything else, or the runners who rack up yardage without TD's. There are a bunch of variables/scenarios/players that fit into different roles that give them some use at some times, they still aren't more valuable then your Arian Fosters', Lesean Mccoys', and that group, it just gives you something to think about in terms of who you can use in a pinch.

We need to realize that fantasy football is really random, fluky, and luck based. You don't need to break down a scoring formula into all these variables and try to figure out what they all mean IMO. TD hoarders as we know will have a 2 or 3 TD game, then nothing for 3 weeks after, a 3rd down RB will have a big game from garbage catches because they got down 20 points really fast, then nothing 3 weeks after. It's gonna happen. Those guys will have some weeks where they outscore a player who had more yards, and was utilized more.

I still think as a whole it'll all balance out. It's too hard to try and skew scoring down to a T and put so many fluky variables into the equation.
I love numbers and this is making my head hurt. Lol.
I don't have any problems with how people score their leagues but I like standard scoring. Whether I am playing fantasy or just watching a game for fun, I get excited seeing a team score just as I think most people do because they keep skewing rules to promote scoring. Don't get me wrong, I love good defense as well but Love scoring. The ultimate goal to the game is to score more points and win the game. Yes it takes gained yards to get that score but the ultimate goal is to score. So IMO the points should be skewed to the TD scorers.
I don't play fantasy because I give 2 shits about who is the better player or not. I play fantasy to score more points, beat my league mates, and talk some bleep about how my players out played theirs regardless of which players are better.
Krispy Kareem Donuts

12 team 22 man roster .5 ppr std 6 pt td for all. Start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, K, ST

Goff, Mariota
Mack, K Hunt, J Adams, A Jones, J Richard, I Smith, E McGuire, Lynch, Ballage
M Thomas, Godwin, Fitzgerald, Agholor, Doctson, T Smith, D Parker, Kumerow
Kittle, Herndon