Anti Both
No votes

Total votes: 48

Raven_Lunatics
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Mathews vs Spiller

Postby Raven_Lunatics » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:03 pm

I agree with Mr Rourke regarding value perception. Once a player hits his peak you can only lose or break even going forward. And since all players are susceptible to injury, aging or personnel changes then all players eventually fall from peak.

I like both but wouldn't invest in Mathews because he is near his ranking ceiling. For the price I would prefer multiple investments like a solid WR and a rising talent like Spiller.

Spiller reminds me of what CJ2K was pre-breakout. Or Jamaal Charles. Speed kills and he is a great receiver with very good hands. He is bigger than either of those backs. No reason he can't hit a ceiling of Brian Westbrook. Floor appears to be Reggie Bush (average year...not necessarily 2011). Situations change and I think his is on the positive.

I still love Fred Jackson though and am happy to own both in a keeper league.

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:16 pm

When was there a "pre-break out" period for CJ2k? he pretty much was an elite back as a rookie.

Raven_Lunatics
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raven_Lunatics » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:25 pm

hamburglar wrote:When was there a "pre-break out" period for CJ2k? he pretty much was an elite back as a rookie.
True. Was thinking more about the Lendale White vulture issue.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Raven_Lunatics wrote:I agree with Mr Rourke regarding value perception. Once a player hits his peak you can only lose or break even going forward. And since all players are susceptible to injury, aging or personnel changes then all players eventually fall from peak.

I like both but wouldn't invest in Mathews because he is near his ranking ceiling. For the price I would prefer multiple investments like a solid WR and a rising talent like Spiller.

Spiller reminds me of what CJ2K was pre-breakout. Or Jamaal Charles. Speed kills and he is a great receiver with very good hands. He is bigger than either of those backs. No reason he can't hit a ceiling of Brian Westbrook. Floor appears to be Reggie Bush (average year...not necessarily 2011). Situations change and I think his is on the positive.

I assume you'd take Mathews first in a startup draft?
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Raven_Lunatics wrote:
hamburglar wrote:When was there a "pre-break out" period for CJ2k? he pretty much was an elite back as a rookie.

Yeah he still way outscored his ADP that year... and it was my final year with Brian Westbrook as a viable keeper when I drafted him in 3 player (only 1 Rb keeper league) i transitioned Shaun Alexander to Westbrook to CJ2k.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:08 pm

hamburglar wrote:
Raven_Lunatics wrote:

Yeah he still way outscored his ADP that year... and it was my final year with Brian Westbrook as a viable keeper when I drafted him in 3 player (only 1 Rb keeper league) i transitioned Shaun Alexander to Westbrook to CJ2k.
Thats the way to do it...I transitioned Shaun (after he won me a championship) to Ronnie Brown to DMC ...do'h
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Raven_Lunatics
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raven_Lunatics » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:09 am

TheOracle wrote:
Raven_Lunatics wrote:I agree with Mr Rourke regarding value perception. Once a player hits his peak you can only lose or break even going forward. And since all players are susceptible to injury, aging or personnel changes then all players eventually fall from peak.

I assume you'd take Mathews first in a startup draft?
Of course. I don't think this is a question of which is currently more valuable. Wouldn't avoid him and would be happy to get him at a discount or at the right value. Just not seeking him out at current asking price.

Raven_Lunatics
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raven_Lunatics » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:11 am

joeday wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Raven_Lunatics wrote: True. Was thinking more about the Lendale White vulture issue.

Thats the way to do it...I transitioned Shaun (after he won me a championship) to Ronnie Brown to DMC ...do'h
YES! Treat RBs like a monkey treats a vine. Don't let go of one until you have a firm grasp on the next.

invisibulman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby invisibulman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:54 am

Looking back at my draft board from that year, I had:

Matthews
Bryant
Ben Tate
Best
Rolando McClain
Hardesty
Spiller

I thought Spiller was not a feature back. I would put him higher than that at this point, but still not as high as Mattews because I still have my questions. About on par with Tate.
Team 1
10 Team, .5 PPR, 2QB, 3RB, 4WR, 2TE, 3DL, 4LB, 4DB,

2QB: Stafford, Carr, Mishew, Bridgewater, Herbert
3RB: Taylor, Ekeler, K. Johnson, Mack, AJ Dillon
4WR: Cooper, Ridley, T. Hill, Slayton, Pittman, Westbrook
2TE: Ertz, Gesicki, Hurst, Everett