mild
Legend
Legend

Re: The Curious Case of Keon Coleman

Postby mild » Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 am

Shcritters wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:48 pm
SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:22 pm
Shcritters wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:21 pm

Did he ask for him, or was the quote ‘you were who I wanted’?
Same yield
Not a huge deal, but disagree with you on that. One of these is a veritable fact, and the other is something that can be said after the draft about anyone who ends up on your team (which may or may not be true).
"You're the guy that I want. I watched a lot of receivers and I want to play with you." was the text he reportedly sent him before the draft started.

Link here.

Great, cool. Now that we've got that out of the way... anyone else reminded of when Mahomes threw his chips into the ring and asked for CEH?

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sun May 12, 2024 6:00 am

mild wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 am

Same yield
Not a huge deal, but disagree with you on that. One of these is a veritable fact, and the other is something that can be said after the draft about anyone who ends up on your team (which may or may not be true).
"You're the guy that I want. I watched a lot of receivers and I want to play with you." was the text he reportedly sent him before the draft started.

Link here.

Great, cool. Now that we've got that out of the way... anyone else reminded of when Mahomes threw his chips into the ring and asked for CEH?
Not a biggy, but pretty sure they were Doritos.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 12, 2024 6:16 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:07 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:26 am Call me silly then.

BUF, like KC, has hardly been the standard for NFL teams who evaluate and identify WR talent and then develop it, despite having the strong advantage of great QB play that should make up for at least some of the WRs’ flaws.

For some reason there is a mentality by some FFers that if a WR gets drafted into these situations that significant shortcomings will suddenly disappear and that the guy just has to magically gain talent and will earn a large target share even though there is a track record that indicates otherwise.
In a vacuum. =- Coleman or Worthy? And why? I know you're not truly fond of either, but just curious who you'd choose. Both have obvious glaring red flags, but both do have some attributes that could succeed.

The more I hear about Coleman (press conferences, etc) the more I enjoy the guy. He honestly has his head on somewhat straight compared to some of the knobs out there. Same with Legette. Obviously we can't just base our decisions on how "well liked" a person can be, but does it persuade anyone with coinflip choices?
That’s a great question and a tough choice.

Both WR rooms are hard to read IMO. KC added Hollywood and didn’t shed any seriously significant WRs, but if Rice is suspended for a long time - something I’m expecting especially with him compounding crimes - there will be a large lump of opportunity and not a bunch of competition. The Rice thing is hopefully short term, but we’re starting to see evidence mount that he may be nothing more than a thug that may sabotage his own career.

BUF shed a ton of production in Diggs and Davis, but made some really interesting offseason adds that I believe may provide a lot more competition than people are expecting. There’s some really potentially undersung talent in that WR room in guys like Shakir, Samuel, Hollins, Claypool, Cephus, Hamler and Isabella where multiple guys could emerge and build a home for themselves.

Mahomes ought to be increasing his production from last year, which was a very down year for him (unless the HC and top skill players spend the entire offseason making commercials like last year instead of sharpening their vocations) and H2H he should outproduce Allen.

I guess with a gun to my head I’d take Worthy. The likely pending Rice suspension and the unknowns on how the BUF O personnel fit together would tilt me in that direction.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun May 12, 2024 7:17 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:16 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:07 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:26 am Call me silly then.

BUF, like KC, has hardly been the standard for NFL teams who evaluate and identify WR talent and then develop it, despite having the strong advantage of great QB play that should make up for at least some of the WRs’ flaws.

For some reason there is a mentality by some FFers that if a WR gets drafted into these situations that significant shortcomings will suddenly disappear and that the guy just has to magically gain talent and will earn a large target share even though there is a track record that indicates otherwise.
In a vacuum. =- Coleman or Worthy? And why? I know you're not truly fond of either, but just curious who you'd choose. Both have obvious glaring red flags, but both do have some attributes that could succeed.

The more I hear about Coleman (press conferences, etc) the more I enjoy the guy. He honestly has his head on somewhat straight compared to some of the knobs out there. Same with Legette. Obviously we can't just base our decisions on how "well liked" a person can be, but does it persuade anyone with coinflip choices?
That’s a great question and a tough choice.

Both WR rooms are hard to read IMO. KC added Hollywood and didn’t shed any seriously significant WRs, but if Rice is suspended for a long time - something I’m expecting especially with him compounding crimes - there will be a large lump of opportunity and not a bunch of competition. The Rice thing is hopefully short term, but we’re starting to see evidence mount that he may be nothing more than a thug that may sabotage his own career.

BUF shed a ton of production in Diggs and Davis, but made some really interesting offseason adds that I believe may provide a lot more competition than people are expecting. There’s some really potentially undersung talent in that WR room in guys like Shakir, Samuel, Hollins, Claypool, Cephus, Hamler and Isabella where multiple guys could emerge and build a home for themselves.

Mahomes ought to be increasing his production from last year, which was a very down year for him (unless the HC and top skill players spend the entire offseason making commercials like last year instead of sharpening their vocations) and H2H he should outproduce Allen.

I guess with a gun to my head I’d take Worthy. The likely pending Rice suspension and the unknowns on how the BUF O personnel fit together would tilt me in that direction.
I have these two right next to each other in my post draft rankings. IMO both these players are pretty easy targets that in large part are unwarranted.

Worthy is now labeled as just a fast guy that can't catch by some but in realty is a pretty good route runner and the sky is the limit as you can't teach his speed. KC moved up for him and he finds himself in an ideal situation. My guess is eventually they will try to use him like Tyreek if he can learn the offense.

Coleman is labeled a slow guy because his combine wasn't great. But he gathers speed well and can change speeds in routes. His catch technique is outstanding and he has few tells when tracking the ball. He has taken his outstanding basketball skills to field and will be a significant red zone threat. I see a player that has the ball and movement skills of a Keenan Allen type. He looks built for the Bills.

Neither player is near a finished product yet but both have an incredible QB and a pathway to be the #1 WR on their team so should be drafted with confidence.

I have Coleman as the one to draft as I like his intangibles. Seems like a humble hardworking type but would be happy with either one in this draft.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:57 am

I'd lean Worthy right now as well, but both are back to back for me also. I could see grabbing 1 of each in different leagues if given the opportunity. Or stacking one with Mahomes/Allen for example

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:54 pm

mild wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 am

Same yield

Link here.

Yup, immediately came to mind.

I have seen the interview videos, and Coleman seems to be a real nice young man, got his head on straight, and all.
Just lacks athleticism, that's all.
For me, pre-draft, his upside was Courtland Sutton, now would Sutton be better with JA as his QB? We'll see.

I was surprised the Bills passed on AD Mitchell, who is MUCH more athletic than Coleman, but has been known to have a 10 cent head.
Maybe after getting rid of diva Diggs, the Bills just didn't want to deal with anymore diva WR's, who knows?
So they drafted the nice kid, and just pray he learns how to play I guess.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon May 13, 2024 5:16 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:23 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:55 am This guy screams Brandon Lloyd to me. He is going to have some insane highlight reel catches, but probably will never be a WR1 in fantasy. Just my couch analysis.
Brandon Lloyd did have a WR1 season fyi - he was WR 2 Overall in PPR in 2010. The following year in 2011 he was a WR 2 (#23) overall.

77-1448-11
70-966-5

Addendum:

Lloyd was also the 49ers leader in targets & receptions in 2005 - unfortunately the 2005 49ers had the following QB tandem that combined for 389 passing attempts (and 2200 passing yards).

Alex Smith
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Cody Pickett

In fact the only player with more yards from scrimmage that year than Lloyd was Kevan Barlow (even the eternal Frank Gore couldnt save the 2005 49ers :lol: )
I forgot he had that one insane season. He was a ton of fun to watch, and that is how I feel about Keon Coleman. I don't see him as a tactician, but he could develop similar to how Demaryius Thomas did. That would be something! He seems like a fun guy, I hope it works out tbh.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Pacheco, Jacobs, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Zach Evans
WR: AJB, Olave, Aiyuk, London, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Dotson, Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Mayer

2024: 1.02, 1.11, 3.01
2025: 2x 1st, 2nd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon May 13, 2024 6:27 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:54 pm
I have seen the interview videos, and Coleman seems to be a real nice young man, got his head on straight, and all.
Not to nitpick, but the guy is very athletic. Maybe he lacks speed, is the wording you were looking for.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:56 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:27 pm
Not to nitpick, but the guy is very athletic. Maybe he lacks speed, is the wording you were looking for.
Was about to say the same thing. Dudes athleticism is off the charts. Aside from 40 time and separation (which is the key issue)

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 14, 2024 7:21 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:56 am
Was about to say the same thing. Dudes athleticism is off the charts. Aside from 40 time and separation (which is the key issue)
Right. Very good athlete. Unique with the ball in his hands. Insane contested catch highlights. But, not the most technically sound player and just really raw with his route tree.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 14, 2024 8:33 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:21 am

Right. Very good athlete. Unique with the ball in his hands. Insane contested catch highlights. But, not the most technically sound player and just really raw with his route tree.
Agree he is a bit raw but he doesn't even turn 21 until Friday. He now gets professional coaching and one of the best QB's on planet earth.

He has a ton going for him and could be outstanding as he develops his game. The Bills have to ecstatic to have him on their team.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:10 am

Ice wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:33 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:21 am

Agree he is a bit raw but he doesn't even turn 21 until Friday. He now gets professional coaching and one of the best QB's on planet earth.

He has a ton going for him and could be outstanding as he develops his game. The Bills have to ecstatic to have him on their team.
For sure, the main question is development. The Worthy/Coleman debate is interesting, since I was down on both prior to draft due to them needing some development, but both being insane athletes. But then they go land with Elite QBs and Coleman has an open path to WR1. Arrows are definitely pointed up and both have sky high ceilings

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm

Average jumping ability too according to vert and long jump.
So while his lack of speed in the 40 caught most of the press, his jumping ability was better than speed, but average overall.
Tested out as WR35 overall in athleticism at the combine.

Feel free to use whatever wording you are comfortable with there.

Maybe by great athlete you are referring to eye/hand coordination, or ball skills, but combine doesn't really have a test score on that.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue May 14, 2024 1:24 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm
Average jumping ability too according to vert and long jump.
So while his lack of speed in the 40 caught most of the press, his jumping ability was better than speed, but average overall.
Tested out as WR35 overall in athleticism at the combine.

Feel free to use whatever wording you are comfortable with there.

Maybe by great athlete you are referring to eye/hand coordination, or ball skills, but combine doesn't really have a test score on that.
His leaping ability isn’t average by any means or metric. He’s in the 80th+ percentile… it’s closer to elite than it is to average.

Like I said, his speed is not ideal, his 40 time was not the best, but his weight adjusted 40 is also above average. Basically everything except the raw 40 time is above average at a minimum.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:12 pm

I see a very fluid athlete with good strength. Has that bball background too. Those guys have skills that many times translate well to nfl. Head on straight is the biggest plus imo